4K Transcoding -- Kill Stream Feature

ronmramsayii

ronmramsayii

I know this feature is already a plugin -> https://github.com/bakes82/Emby_KillStreams

However the dev hasn't done much in a long time and with EMS v4.8 coming up, the plugin's compatibility seems to be off now. Maybe the dev will update it, not sure, but it's a plugin that can't be accessed directly through the built-in plugin-in catalog.

I've been using this plug-in for two purposes:

1. Kill a stream that's been paused by myself or another user after "x" amount of time... for me it's 10 minutes right now.
  2. If a device that's not 4K, plays 4K content, a transcode happens, which then kills the stream.

I was told by Luke that the first function should be an added feature in 4.8 -- coming soon, however, the 2nd, still needs to be addressed. If there's another plugin that does the same functions, that'd be great, and I'm open to using it. However, if these features can be baked into Emby, that'd be even better...

• Agree 1

bakes82

I don’t plan to update it I’ve also been told it still works fine on 4.8.  Also the plugin catalog is a joke and a pita to use. Requires manual intervention to upload the DLL every update also the Emby community for plugins tends to be users crying over and over about updates or slow to do something or not wanting to do it. So easier to just do it for yourself now rather than post for others to use also.  Just my feedback. Also the being able to kill 4k has been coming soon to emby for 4-5yrs lol it’s their most used phrase. 

bakes82

Note: I believe there is also some clients that don’t support all the api commands so the script didn’t work on I believe rokus and the way the session is shared across all web browser tabs it wouldn’t always kill the video if if you have multi tabs open but I would get negative feedback because of this and how Emby supports the clients it just doesn’t really make sense to keep updating or posting plugins publicly, which you can probably see a few of the major people have stopped.

ronmramsayii

@Lukesince it’s been confirmed by the dev of the plugin that an update for the plugin isn’t coming… would it be possible to get these two features baked in? I know the first you said may already be handled in 4.8 beta at some point, but the second, more specifically, the 4K kill stream…

+1 on this please…

I would love a way to prevent users transcoding my 4K library.

I would really love the ability to specify if transcoding is possible for specific library as well of a user setting. Separate feature req or no?

GrimReaper
5 minutes ago, nzbadam said:

I would really love the ability to specify if transcoding is possible for specific library as well of a user setting. Separate feature req or no?

Lend your support here:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
pauls_1988
On 23/12/2023 at 05:42, bakes82 said:

I don’t plan to update it I’ve also been told it still works fine on 4.8.

Any tips on how to get it to work on 4.8, I have put the dll file in the plugins directory but when I try to open the plug-in there is nothing to select, can provide a screenshot if that helps, or is it just me?

ronmramsayii
3 hours ago, pauls_1988 said:

Any tips on how to get it to work on 4.8, I have put the dll file in the plugins directory but when I try to open the plug-in there is nothing to select, can provide a screenshot if that helps, or is it just me?

It needs to be updated and the dev said he’s not going to be updating it publicly unfortunately. 

bakes82
12 hours ago, ronmramsayii said:

It needs to be updated and the dev said he’s not going to be updating it publicly unfortunately. 

Correct. Also there is no way to kill streams from the sever and is all client side and not all clients support it so then those people would complain that it’s not working. No thanks.