Random hang during playback only on LG TV

marriedman
Go to solution Solved by marriedman,

marriedman

I originally started commenting on this thread: LG App Hanging

I didn't want to hijack that OP with my issue. Quick rundown: At random times, playback will stop as though buffering or as if someone pressed pause. It has taken as long as 30 seconds to resume playback. Neither resolution nor bitrate appear to be relevant to the stuttering playback.

At Luke's recommendation, I uninstalled some plugins, rebooted the server, enabled debug logging, and started playback. Still happening though. I have attached the log. As soon as the issue started again, I made note of the time - 7:57 pm.  

I also checked the server performance while this was happening:

ID		Owner		CPU		Command
157912	root	    12.5 %	[/usr/share/webm] <defunct>
152228	marriedman	5.4 %	/usr/sbin/smbd --foreground --no-process-group
154515	emby	    1.7 %	/opt/emby-server/system/EmbyServer -programdata /var/lib/emby -ffdetect /opt/emb ...
157899	root	    1.2 %	/usr/share/webmin/authentic-theme/stats.cgi

So it's not even breaking a sweat. I then tested it in a browser window (Vivaldi) and Emby Theater while I typing this post. Of course, it's fine. I am pretty confident that it's not the server, it's the LG app. Relevant info of the TV,  Model 75NANO91ANA WebOS 5.5.0-1102.

I think that is everything I can provide. If you want any more information I'll be happy to provide it.

embyserver (1).txt

Is it DirectPlay or is there some transcoding or audio conversion going on?  Are there any ffmpeg logs for this playback? Can you please also post the full media info for file this occurs on?

marriedman

The last couple files I played back were direct play without transcoding. While I was posting, my daughter was watching something that was being transcoded. There was a ffmpeg log from yesterday, but not one today. 

Forgive my ignorance @SamES, but how do I get the "full media info" for a file? I can choose several different files this has occurred with since it happens with some regularity. On the off chance you are asking for the file details at the bottom of the movie page, I've attached that info too.

Screenshot_20231220_214933.png.bef9fcbddb8f1f81974feb3e36f2fecd.png

If that is not what you meant, please let me know how to get the information and I will grab it.

ffmpeg-transcode-53c0926a-c8e9-4f62-b4ac-7b2e79610eb9_1.txt

That media info is fine for now.  I can't see anything there that should be causing an issue.

The ffmpeg log is for a playback in Chrome browser, not the LG TV.

If it is DirectPlay of the Incredibles, then you shouldn't have any issues with playback.

DirectPlay in the LG client is pretty basic, so there isn't anything that should be causing playback of a low bitrate 1080p H264 file to have issues. However, the TV will be less tolerant to any network or dropouts or delays from the server as it has a much smaller playback buffer.

Are you using a wireless or wired connection between the server and TV?

marriedman

All of my clients are wireless. The LG TV is about 10 feet away from my Orbi RBR850, My server is the only thing wired into the router for the past 3 years.

Can you try a cable between the router and TV as a test? 

Are you using 2.4GHz or 5GHz?  What channel number?  Have you checked that you're not getting interference from a neighbour on your channel?

marriedman

I can run a cord as a test, but it would only be for testing purposes. It would be a tripping hazard otherwise. I have both 2.4 & 5GHz available and the TV automatically chooses the stronger signal, 5Ghz naturally. 

I don't know how to measure interference and there might be something to that; however it would be from things inside my house and not a neighbor. The nearest house is beyond my wifi range and I am pretty sure that little old lady doesn't have internet.

I'll research how to measure interference and test with a wired connection later tonight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Solution
marriedman

OK, I can't find a network cable long enough to do a wired test. I did download a wifi analyzer and my house is clean. I can pick up distant SSID's, but they are very, very weak - 29% signal strength.

That being said, I think I am going to do a factory reset on my router. I did a firmware update a while back, and Netgear is crap when it comes to software. Small tip to anyone reading this - never buy a Netgear router unless it is supported by aftermarket firmwares. Netgear sucks!

• Thanks 1

marriedman

It has been about an hour since I factory reset my router and set things up the way I wanted. I am streaming a 4k (MP4 HEVC movie 7 mbps) right now with no apparent issues. I'll report back in 24 and see if it begins again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

marriedman

Little late checking back in, I didn't get to watch much yesterday. I ended up moving my sub-woofer to the opposite side of the room. My sub-woofer is a wireless model that has 2 wired surround speakers. That moves it as far as possible away from my router. There really shouldn't have been any interference, but I figured I might as well cover all my bases.I successfully played three 4K movies without a single stutter. Well, that's not true. There were those damned embedded bitmap subtitles that would bring the movie to a standstill and just not play. 

In summary, my issue most likely was caused by Netgear's gawd awful firmware and not the LG app. 

• Thanks 1