Some media hangs at 33% then blank screen

ITGuy1024

ITGuy1024

As said in title. I seem to have more issues with the roku 4k hd then any other device. 

Usually the fix for this issue is to lower the playback quality. But even dropping it down to 10mbps hasn't helped. That's by far the lowest I've ever had to lower it on here.

I did the submit logs thing from the roku emby app. User is skelly.

ITGuy1024

I set transcoding from "advanced" and using the p400 to just "yes". I guess it's using software now? I still see the p400 being used but now when I set the playback quality to auto it seems to be working better and at a higher quality.

Seems like the problem media from before now direct plays.

Weird?

• 2 weeks later...
ITGuy1024

I might as well watch a potato cook at that point. If it's set to auto wouldn't it go to the most stable playback quality?

Is there any indication to a bottleneck? I can't imagine 1080 10mbps locally is getting hung up. I have a pretty decent emby server and storage setup.

ITGuy1024

I found these errors during local playback where it just shows a black screen. Emby dashboard shows the movie playing. Not sure if it's related or not.

:05:37.084 [hevc @ 000001b8843fbe80] PPS id out of range: 0
22:05:37.084 [hevc @ 000001b8843fbe80] Error parsing NAL unit #0.
22:05:37.084 Error while decoding stream #0:0: Invalid data found when processing input
22:05:37.085 [hevc @ 000001b8843fc280] PPS id out of range: 0
22:05:37.085 [hevc @ 000001b8843fc280] Error parsing NAL unit #0.
22:05:37.085 Error while decoding stream #0:0: Invalid data found when processing input
22:05:37.086 [hevc @ 000001b8843fc680] PPS id out of range: 0
22:05:37.086 [hevc @ 000001b8843fc680] Error parsing NAL unit #0.
22:05:37.086 Error while decoding stream #0:0: Invalid data found when processing input

Some googling I think someone mentioned checking the storage (which I have done and all looks great). In one of my dozens of logs I thought I saw something about not being able to write to the cache folder. I'm taking a shot in the dark and guessing the SSD can't keep up.
I moved all the cache paths to a new separate SSD to see if that makes any difference.

18 hours ago, ITGuy1024 said:

I might as well watch a potato cook at that point. If it's set to auto wouldn't it go to the most stable playback quality?

Is there any indication to a bottleneck? I can't imagine 1080 10mbps locally is getting hung up. I have a pretty decent emby server and storage setup.

Were you able to test it?

Hi. Is it possible for you to remux that item and reduce the number of subtitle tracks to a more sane number (just a few)?  As a test to see if that is what is tripping it up.

29 minutes ago, ITGuy1024 said:

So on my server and my user I have subtitles disabled. Does that help or make too many subtitles worse?

That won't hurt anything. In fact in some cases it might actually help because it may avoid transcoding depending on the subtitle format.

39 minutes ago, ITGuy1024 said:

So on my server and my user I have subtitles disabled. Does that help or make too many subtitles worse?

That won't be the same test as actually whittling down the number of tracks in the item.  We have definitely seen issues in the past with media with an inordinately high number of tracks.  Yours has 40+.

ITGuy1024

Works fine for me from the browser.

image.png.bc4d45cd9002c972ebe33a8af953ab3b.png 

I also tried to manually set the Internet streaming bitrate limit to 5mbps under the other users settings which didn't seem to help.

Edited by ITGuy1024

Can you please post that ffmpeg log for comparison?

In your other ffmpeg logs it looks like it is just stopping.  It never gets to the point of actually outputting anything so the Roku is just left there waiting for content.