No folder images after fresh install (and other problems)

ramseyn
Go to solution Solved by Q-Droid,

ramseyn

Hi

I had a catastrophic failure of the NAS that hosts my Emby.

I did a complete fresh initialisation and reinstalled sapps, one of which was Emby Server.

I then copied all the library folders (music, music videos, movies and TV Shows) from a backup NAS back to the newly initialised NAS and created the libraries again.

Libraries are set to the correct types, and all metadata fetchers are enabled for each library.

Mostly things are back as they chould be - Movies and Music Videos seem to be correct.

However, Movies folder, while it has an image for the library, has almost no images for any of the folders within it.

image.thumb.png.94e87fe31f83dcd32b5265cf74835da8.pngMusicfolder.thumb.png.05bbcd7a07cf73d14bdec04ac06437ea.pngMusic Library has all the artists in a row, not displayted as a grid as they used to be, and none of them have any album art as they used to.

TVShowsfolder.thumb.png.621ed59aaa6f74aa7169bcb7028c4811.png

TV Shows has an image for the library, but no images for TV show folders. If I go into a TV Show folder, it has no images for the seasons folders.

TVShows-TheA-Team.thumb.png.84fab51ad71be97921bf0001c79178be.png

TVShows-TheA-Team-Season1.thumb.png.1fbdedf1c8d01c28761022ce8e85e10e.png

Within a Season folder, there is no image at the top, but all the episodes do have images.

What may I need to do (obviously these are freshly created and scanned multiple times in an attempt to get the images fetched).

It is the same whether I use a Windows or an Android client.

GrimReaper

To me that appears that no metadata/artwork has been downloaded from online providers and only random items picked up from locally stored/grabbed by Screen graber, which might indicate issues with outgoing requests/some network issues. Post server log. 

ramseyn

That's exactly what it looks like. I have a 200Mbps connection with 4ms RTD so it doesn't look like internet connection to me. The LAN is on a 2.5Gbps sitch (though the Android is wireless of course but connected at 1.2Gbps on wifi6).

The logs folder has 10 .txt files in it at the moment - which ones to upload? Everything except Transcode logs?

GrimReaper

Bandwidth should be irrelevant for the moment, it might something as simple as DNS issue or firewall blocking outgoing requests. Anyway, server log should show. Which one? Ideally, the one when you were importing/server was ingesting those items. Yeah, no ffmpeg logs necessary atm, only server (embyserver-xxxxxxxx.txt) logs. 

ramseyn

Firewall settings should be unchanged since before the loss of NAS and the NAS is back on the same IP as before. I never changed the ports so the firewall rules should still work and I have not received any alerts onscreen so perhaps firewall issues would show in the logs above (if I knew what to look for)?

DNS-wise I have external DNS and am not running a local DNS server. I use Google's DNS, which is a commn enough setup I think.

GrimReaper

Yeah, all your outgoing requests are timing out:

2023-12-13 17:45:15.970 Error HttpClient: Connection to https://www.mb3admin.com/admin/service/EmbyPackages.json timed out
2023-12-13 23:44:30.356 Error HttpClient: Connection to https://api.themoviedb.org/3/configuration?api_key=f6bd687ffa63cd282b6ff2c6877f2669 timed out
2023-12-13 23:45:10.726 Error HttpClient: Connection to https://api4.thetvdb.com/v4/login timed out

Typical causes of that are firewall, VPN, some security software or misconfigured DNS. You'll need to validate your network setup. 

ramseyn

I saw those entries. How to test the ideas, I do not know currently. It all worked previously on the same network with the same configuration - unless something chnged in the NAS build when I reinstalled the NAS OS, which is quite possible - even likely.

GrimReaper

If you specify which NAS model you have, which OS version and other particulars, I could move your topic under specific forum where it is more likely that you'll get some more targeted assistance from fellow users. 

Q-Droid

It looks like all of the outbound connections from the Asustor to the internet are timing out. Fixing the internet connectivity from your NAS should resolve this.

GrimReaper
3 minutes ago, Q-Droid said:

It looks like all of the outbound connections from the Asustor to the internet are timing out. Fixing the internet connectivity from your NAS should resolve this.

That was already surmised. 

1 hour ago, GrimReaper said:

Yeah, all your outgoing requests are timing out:

Typical causes of that are firewall, VPN, some security software or misconfigured DNS. You'll need to validate your network setup. 

I reckon OP's looking for somewhat more specific assistance. 

• Like 1

• Solution
Q-Droid

I don't know anything about Asustor but the basics would be to check:

- IP address
- Netmask
- Gateway address
- DNS servers

If rebuilt with static IP make sure those are correct. If using DHCP with or without IP reservation then it should be working unless some of it has an overridden value.

If Asus has apps like a package manager or updater those should be able to connect back to the Asus servers for updates. Getting those to connect should also resolve the Emby problem. The Asus admin console might also have some type of troubleshooter to assist.

• Like 1

ramseyn

I have had a thought though. I'm not able to get to it right now but I wonder if there is a gateway issue.

Recently I had a change of ISP and the new router is on a different IP. Everything else (30+ devices) is fine but perhaps the NAS gateway IP hasn't updated ?

It should have as I had a power cut a couple of days ago so it will have restarted.

Also, the rebuild was a couple of weeks before the new ISP so it should already have had the image data...

ramseyn
4 minutes ago, Q-Droid said:

I don't know anything about Asustor but the basics would be to check:

- IP address
- Netmask
- Gateway address
- DNS servers

If rebuilt with static IP make sure those are correct. If using DHCP with or without IP reservation then it should be working unless some of it has an overridden value.

If Asus has apps like a package manager or updater those should be able to connect back to the Asus servers for updates. Getting those to connect should also resolve the Emby problem. The Asus admin console might also have some type of troubleshooter to assist.

Ha, I just mentioned possible gateway - was typing while you were posting.

I shall have a look at all the network settings when I get home.

I wonder if the reservations on the new router are not all configured yet - maybe I missed this NAS when setting it up. Shouldn't affect gateway and mask, but you never know - maybe in the distant past I set something up fixed instead of DHCP?

I shall investigate later.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

ramseyn

And there we have it. At some pont in setup, probablywhen I first installed and so that I knew where the device was on the network while I was configuring, I had set it as static, so it didn't use DHCP to get an updated gateway address when the new router went in.

It had been my intention to move the new router to the old address but I had to run them in parallel for a while so my ISP kept provisioning my phone services until the new ISP took over my number.

So, all my fault - as I bet you expected 😀

Gateway now changed and images have started appearing...

Thanks to GrimReaper and Q-Droid!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1