Limit Devices Per User

ronmramsayii
Go to solution Solved by GrimReaper,

ronmramsayii

Hey Emby Team,

I've tried looking for this to see if it was a requested feature, but couldn't. I know there's a way to limit concurrent streams. Is there a way to implement a feature that limits how many devices a user can add? It might require them to manage connected devices overall, not sure if that's already a thing.

• Agree 1

• Solution
GrimReaper
10 minutes ago, ronmramsayii said:

Is there a way to implement a feature that limits how many devices a user can add?

Have you explored User settings>Access tab>Device access section? 

ronmramsayii
16 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Have you explored User settings>Access tab>Device access section? 

Whoops. Completely missed that. So this allows me to change what devices each user can use... and if a new device is added, I can approve?

1 hour ago, ronmramsayii said:

Whoops. Completely missed that. So this allows me to change what devices each user can use... and if a new device is added, I can approve?

Yes but it's a lot of manual management. They'll get a generalized error when they try to sign in with a new device, and then you have to go into device access and allow it.

Cr8iveLosr
2 hours ago, ronmramsayii said:

Hey Emby Team,

I've tried looking for this to see if it was a requested feature, but couldn't. I know there's a way to limit concurrent streams. Is there a way to implement a feature that limits how many devices a user can add? It might require them to manage connected devices overall, not sure if that's already a thing.

Solid feat request and has been mentioned many times in various threads for years. As stated there is a way to limit which device a user can connect. However, it is severally limited and i say broken. for one, you can only limit some devices. and once a user connects with a device they will be able to connect with that device forever. even if you remove it. have a read here. 

was acknowledge and then forgotten.

wish you luck with your FR.

ronmramsayii

I guess my thought process is in adding a user, setting a max amount of devices that user can connect with, say 6. If they hit their max, they'll have to clear their devices to add more. There's got to be a better way of managing the device limits. I don't want to have to manually log in and remove devices I think no longer need access or shouldn't. I have a few friends I'll be sharing with, one of them has a wife, and 3 kids... all with an average of 2 devices between them, not to mention their Apple TVs at home... That device count can get out of hand pretty quickly...

ronmramsayii

How do I have up to 12 devices when I don't have 12 devices that I've accessed Emby with? It seems more like a history of devices that have accessed my server, as opposed to actual devices that are connected...

TRC.png

4 hours ago, ronmramsayii said:

How do I have up to 12 devices when I don't have 12 devices that I've accessed Emby with? It seems more like a history of devices that have accessed my server, as opposed to actual devices that are connected...

TRC.png

Correct, that's what this screen is.

Hi, there's already an open request for this or something functionally equivalent. Please join in and contribute to the existing discussion at: