Embuary - THE Emby Skin - new Look (2k & 4k)

Teddyknuddel

Teddyknuddel

icon.png.0de49e53034ec59b53934c6040a0d50d.png

I have customised the look of Embuary slightly.

2K can also be used on a FullHD device.

4K recommended on a 4K display

I have also enlarged the font, as it has become a little too small and illegible under the new resolution.

Unfortunately, the icons in the settings menu have been shredded under Windows, but under Android they are displayed normally.

skin.embuary2k-matrix.teddyknuddel.zip skin.embuary4k-matrix.teddyknuddel.zip

Edited by Teddyknuddel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Teddyknuddel
56 minutes ago, Locutus64 said:

Never heard of this. Maybe some screenshots? Thanks

Thats the screenshots from the old skin.

Embuary looks and works similar to the Emby apps themselves. Only without being dependent on the exoplayer.

A lot of fine-tuning is necessary, but the work is worth it in the end.

screenshot-01.jpg

screenshot-02.jpg

screenshot-03.jpg

fanart.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Teddyknuddel

Please don't use the EmbyCon addon. Only EmbyNextGen. Support for EmbyCon has apparently been discontinued. Kodi only crashes with it.

Edited by Teddyknuddel

feerlessleadr
On 1/15/2024 at 9:31 AM, Teddyknuddel said:

Please don't use the EmbyCon addon. Only EmbyNextGen. Support for EmbyCon has apparently been discontinued. Kodi only crashes with it.

Are you saying don't use EmbyCon in this new version of Embuary, or period? I use embycon daily with Matrix Embuary (not your mod) in conjuction with E4KNG, and both work beautifully. 

I'm also fairly certain that I've seen @TeamBaround the forums talking about EmbyCon, so I'm pretty sure it isn't discontinued (although maybe I'm wrong?)

TeamB
29 minutes ago, feerlessleadr said:

Are you saying don't use EmbyCon in this new version of Embuary, or period? I use embycon daily with Matrix Embuary (not your mod) in conjuction with E4KNG, and both work beautifully. 

I'm also fairly certain that I've seen @TeamBaround the forums talking about EmbyCon, so I'm pretty sure it isn't discontinued (although maybe I'm wrong?)

EmbyCon is still supported, I maintain it and test it on all new releases of both the Emby Server and also Kodi version.

True it has not had any new features for a long time now but it is fully functional and does what it intends to, lets you browse and play your Emby server content.

@Teddyknuddel

On 1/16/2024 at 1:31 AM, Teddyknuddel said:

where did you get that info from?

• Thanks 1

Teddyknuddel
10 hours ago, TeamB said:

where did you get that info from?

Because I realised it myself. Kodi kept crashing when I wanted to play something via EmbyCon. And yes, I have activated permanent access to the data in the shield. 

I would have liked to have used EmbyCon, as it takes over my library as I have set it up on the server. But if my wife is always complaining because something is constantly not working, then I just have to switch to what works.

And yes, I tested it with other skins too.

Edited by Teddyknuddel

TeamB
58 minutes ago, Teddyknuddel said:

the last version I was shown was 8.2.14

That does not look like an EmbyCon version, the latest version of EmbyCon for Kodi 20 (nexus) is 1.11.24

Also if Kodi is crashing that is a Kodi issue, a plugin should not be able to crash Kodi, if it is crashing it is a bug in Kodi and should be reported on the Kodi forums.

Edited by TeamB

Teddyknuddel

@TeamB

It crashes with EmbyCon, but not with EmbyNextGen (And yes, I have 1.11.24 - The Plugin Frontview+ has showed 8.xxxx). So I don't need to do much troubleshooting if the error is reproducible. Why should I then point out the error in a thousand other forums, which is apparently triggered by EmbyCon? I can tell you exactly what they will say: "Go to the Emby forum and report it there"

Edited by Teddyknuddel

TeamB
2 hours ago, Teddyknuddel said:

@TeamB

It crashes with EmbyCon, but not with EmbyNextGen (And yes, I have 1.11.24 - The Plugin Frontview+ has showed 8.xxxx). So I don't need to do much troubleshooting if the error is reproducible. Why should I then point out the error in a thousand other forums, which is apparently triggered by EmbyCon? I can tell you exactly what they will say: "Go to the Emby forum and report it there"

ok dude you do you

Teddyknuddel
13 minutes ago, TeamB said:

ok dude you do you

I'm just tired of the experiments, I've already told ebr and Luke that, and that's why I've cancelled Emby Premiere! I don't have the time or desire to constantly struggle with something that's riddled with bugs. I just want to watch films/series without having to tinker all the time.

TeamB
7 minutes ago, Teddyknuddel said:

I'm just tired of the experiments, I've already told ebr and Luke that, and that's why I've cancelled Emby Premiere! I don't have the time or desire to constantly struggle with something that's riddled with bugs. I just want to watch films/series without having to tinker all the time.

I am on board with that.

I dont know what issues you had or are having with any of this. I hope you get it sorted out.

All I can say about EmbyCon is it is working for me, I have 5 systems set up and running on various hardware ranging from PCs, Laptops to various Raspberry Pis and they all work.

Actually one thing I did notice the other day was Kodi has a memory issue with large textures. One of my Raspbery Pis was crashing Kodi a lot, bring up a movie list and boom crash, in fact I think it was crashing the OS. To fix this I added a new option to EmbyCon to request scaled down images to reduce the memory requirments when reteriving lots of images from Emby. To request smaller images you can set the max width option in the EmbyCon Add-on settings under Interface tab. Set it to say 200 and this will then request all images from Emby to be a max width of 200, this stopped the crashing in my tests. Not saying this will help you and as you said you dont want to be stuffing arround with this but if you want to try something you could try that.

Teddyknuddel
4 hours ago, TeamB said:

I am on board with that.

I dont know what issues you had or are having with any of this. I hope you get it sorted out.

All I can say about EmbyCon is it is working for me, I have 5 systems set up and running on various hardware ranging from PCs, Laptops to various Raspberry Pis and they all work.

Actually one thing I did notice the other day was Kodi has a memory issue with large textures. One of my Raspbery Pis was crashing Kodi a lot, bring up a movie list and boom crash, in fact I think it was crashing the OS. To fix this I added a new option to EmbyCon to request scaled down images to reduce the memory requirments when reteriving lots of images from Emby. To request smaller images you can set the max width option in the EmbyCon Add-on settings under Interface tab. Set it to say 200 and this will then request all images from Emby to be a max width of 200, this stopped the crashing in my tests. Not saying this will help you and as you said you dont want to be stuffing arround with this but if you want to try something you could try that.

The problem is simply that Kodi closes as soon as I go into that library, or I want to start the film or episode, I then end up back on the Shield user interface - start Kodi again, want to start that film again, same game again.

Would like to test it - but it has to be on my main TV. Because it has to run there. Also, 4K is probably more sensitive than a FullHD TV. But if I mess it up and my wife wants to watch it but it doesn't work, how angry do you think she'll be? As I can no longer participate in working life due to the consequences of a cancer operation, I run the household as best I can and my wife works full-time. All she wants to do after work is relax on the sofa and end the day with her series.

TeamB
4 hours ago, Teddyknuddel said:

The problem is simply that Kodi closes as soon as I go into that library, or I want to start the film or episode, I then end up back on the Shield user interface - start Kodi again, want to start that film again, same game again.

Would like to test it - but it has to be on my main TV. Because it has to run there. Also, 4K is probably more sensitive than a FullHD TV. But if I mess it up and my wife wants to watch it but it doesn't work, how angry do you think she'll be? As I can no longer participate in working life due to the consequences of a cancer operation, I run the household as best I can and my wife works full-time. All she wants to do after work is relax on the sofa and end the day with her series.

completely understand, stick with what is working for you.

xnappo

Hi Guys,

I mentioned in another thread that I was playing with EmbyNextGen.  My idea was to use EmbyCon for TV and EmbyNextGen for Movies.  

HOWEVER if you have both services running it WILL crash Kodi.  Only one can be used at a time it seems.  

I said I would get some logs...  But got involved with other things - sorry.  I am just sticking with EmbyCon.

feerlessleadr
13 minutes ago, xnappo said:

Hi Guys,

I mentioned in another thread that I was playing with EmbyNextGen.  My idea was to use EmbyCon for TV and EmbyNextGen for Movies.  

HOWEVER if you have both services running it WILL crash Kodi.  Only one can be used at a time it seems.  

I said I would get some logs...  But got involved with other things - sorry.  I am just sticking with EmbyCon.

That is not true in my experience on 4 Nvidia Shields. I have NextGen running to sync my/mywife's media to kodi, and embycon running to be logged into my kids' emby account on the same kodi profile. I have had this setup running for years without issue (and am currently runnning Omega Beta 2). 

• Like 1

xnappo
10 minutes ago, feerlessleadr said:

That is not true in my experience on 4 Nvidia Shields. I have NextGen running to sync my/mywife's media to kodi, and embycon running to be logged into my kids' emby account on the same kodi profile. I have had this setup running for years without issue (and am currently runnning Omega Beta 2). 

Interesting.  It crashes for me exactly the way Teddy describes.  This is with the latest 9.x NextGen. 

I will try to get a log.

Teddyknuddel
1 hour ago, xnappo said:

Interesting.  It crashes for me exactly the way Teddy describes.  This is with the latest 9.x NextGen.

At first I was afraid that it would somehow also be due to my skin, but in retrospect - I also have the problem with another skin.

@TeamB
As you can see - others have the same problem, too.

TeamB

At first I was afraid that it would somehow also be due to my skin, but in retrospect - I also have the problem with another skin.

@TeamB
As you can see - others have the same problem, too.

i am not disagreeing with you or not believing you that kodi is crashing for you, as i pointed out above i found a weird crash that i had to work around with large textures on raspberry pis, each client hardware has their weird idiosyncrasies that can cause issues.

i will try installing nextgen 9 and embycon to see if i can reproduce that crash.

with weird kodi crashes it is usually on devices like the shield that i dont have so it is hard to reproduce, not that i can do a lot anyway as finding a work arround for a kodi bug is usually a pain in the ass and can cause compatibility issues with other platforms and making the plugin more complex.

TeamB

that is also a consideration, if the default kodi skin does not crash and other skins do regardless of what addons you have then it is the rendering engine crashing your kodi not the plugin.

everything the embycon addon is doing is via the kodi addon api, embycon does not run any native c++ code, it is all python. if any part of embycon crashes it is just a python interpretor error, embycon should not be able to crash kodi. yes it can trigger bugs in kodi that crash kodi but actual bug is in kodi. as i pointed out there might be work around like putting in delays or doing things in certain orders but it really is trial and error and different on each client hardware to find there workarounds.

Edited by TeamB

TeamB

I can not even get a clean install of just Next-Gen 9 to play anything, it locks up kodi for 60 to 90 seconds and then says check the logs

On Windows 11
Clean install Kodi 20.3
Install the latest Next-Gen 9 from this thread https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/123707-embyforkodi-next-gen-9xx-support/
Connect to my server and Sync my movies lib using plugin mode, the defualt
Goto movies and play an item locks up Kodi

The problem is a lock up like this will cause clients like Libreelec and probably shelid type devices to detect the app as crashed and the watchdog timer will auto kill it.

Teddyknuddel

@TeamB
I don't think it's the Shield - it's more likely the Android itself. A friend of mine also doesn't use EmbyCon on his FireTV Cube because it causes problems there.

I'm going to install a second version of Kodi so I can test it in parallel.

• Agree 1

xnappo
10 hours ago, Teddyknuddel said:

@TeamB
I don't think it's the Shield - it's more likely the Android itself. A friend of mine also doesn't use EmbyCon on his FireTV Cube because it causes problems there.

I'm going to install a second version of Kodi so I can test it in parallel.

EmbyCon definitely does not cause problems on Android/Shield/FireTV cube.  I have been using it for many, many years without issue. It was only when I started messing with Kodi NextGen that I had a problem.  

Edited by xnappo

feerlessleadr

Maybe there is a conflict with next Gen 9 and embycon? My setup is using next Gen 8 not 9, and using 8 works perfectly. 

• Like 1