Issue with TLS 1.3 and older devices

Guest PutzJimmy
Go to solution Solved by PutzJimmy,

PutzJimmy

A friend tried that now, still the same error on playback ☚ī¸ This is really sad as i so far love Emby and the polish on functions compared to Jellyfin but i still want to cover the refund policy and i would call this a case for refund if this wont get solved as almost all my family/friends use the mi box 3 or 4 😅

32 minutes ago, PutzJimmy said:

A friend tried that now, still the same error on playback ☚ī¸ This is really sad as i so far love Emby and the polish on functions compared to Jellyfin but i still want to cover the refund policy and i would call this a case for refund if this wont get solved as almost all my family/friends use the mi box 3 or 4 😅

Can you sideload the latest version and provide a log from the android app by following the instructions here:

While you're at it please also attach the corresponding emby server log in case it is needed. Thanks.

PutzJimmy

I connected my daughters mi box 3 to my phones hotspot so it acts like it does for the others outside my network, sent you a PM with a video of it cause nothing shows up in logs and i did turn that on before testing with few movies.

7 hours ago, PutzJimmy said:

I connected my daughters mi box 3 to my phones hotspot so it acts like it does for the others outside my network, sent you a PM with a video of it cause nothing shows up in logs and i did turn that on before testing with few movies.

Can you please supply the android app log using the instructions that I linked to above? thanks.

PutzJimmy

Now it worked for some reason. Dunno if they contain any more sensitive information other then my server address so sent them to you in a PM. Also this time Emby started it asked me to accept my ssl cert, never seen that before but i accepted it but didn't help

Edited by PutzJimmy

You are sure it is completely valid all the way down the chain?  Some devices are much more strict on this than others.

Where did it come from?

PutzJimmy

Yes. Its from lets encrypt via synologys reverse proxy. Did a ssl test and got good scores there and jellyfin has no problems on those problem devices

IMG_2224.jpeg

Edited by PutzJimmy

PutzJimmy

For testing purpose I reinstalled Jellyfin on one Mi Box 3 and now its clearly saying its a ssl error trying to connect again. Is newer (or more up to date boxes) like the nvidia shield using some other part of the ssl then the ones not working?

The box could have an outdated certificate store. That’s always possible. Does it get regular OS updates?

PutzJimmy

They did update to android tv 9 but that was like two years ago or so, that would explain why nvidia shield, mi box 4 v2 and that boxer tv box works, nvidia updates now and then and the two others are newish on the market.

On 12/30/2023 at 12:39 PM, PutzJimmy said:

Yes. Its from lets encrypt via synologys reverse proxy. Did a ssl test and got good scores there and jellyfin has no problems on those problem devices

IMG_2224.jpeg

What TLS protocols do you have enabled? You might have to allow some older ones for the old mi box to be able to connect.

rbjtech

Enable TLS 1.2 - Enforcing TLS 1.3 is very strict and may be the issue.

Only TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1, SSL2 and SSL 3 should be disabled.

image.png.19de01031e73675c9a7b05f8e2f22fb0.png

You can still get an A+ with this config.

Edited by rbjtech