Content being transcoded in the browser - transcode potion runoff

solidsnakex37

solidsnakex37

I've recently found an issue when viewing content in the browser (Chrome/FireFox), where if you are watching content that's being transcoded and you pause it, but leave that window in focus it will, over time keep transcoding segments until it's fully transcoded. 

I am not sure the exact time frame, but for example: 

Start playback > Pause > video transcodes up to your setting (in my case, 240 seconds)
15 minutes passes (still paused)
Another 240 seconds transcodes
15 minutes passed (still paused)
Another 240 seconds transcodes

Eventually the whole file will be transcoded. 

Two examples below. I've also attached the ffmpeg-transcode log, where you can see playback started at 11:05, but paused it, then at 13:19 it's transcoded up to the position you see below for Expedition Unknown. 

I am just reporting this because I often see users pause things and leave it, but there is no way for me, as an admin to shutdown that stream unless I reboot the entire Emby container in Docker, since the restart option in the UI keeps sessions open. I hope that there can maybe be a feature introduced to allow admins to forcefully stop playback, or set a "timeout" setting for users so that if they don't back out, or if they leave something paused for longer than X amount of minutes it will close the session. 

image.png.d6be0575a63d94791f96d05032836a1b.png
image.png.e2baaabc81488b0cf0288b4d23fc24ef.png

solidsnakex37
6 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, this has always been true but has been changed for the upcoming 4.8 server release.

That's awesome to hear! Thanks Luke!

• Thanks 1