Ask for deletion when stop viewing a TV-recording

Peter Nent

Peter Nent

This is somewhat a MCE v.s. Emby Theater WMC gui compatibility issue:

In MCE, when stop viewing a TV-recording, it asks what to do: delete or stay or...etc. which is very convenient. In Emby Theater WMC gui stop viewing a live-TV recording does'nt ask you: you have to re-select the recoding and then choose...which is not as convenient as it was in MCE.

I've noticed that this is how Emby works with all sort of videos....thus, this is probable an MCE v.s. Emby Theater WMC gui compatibility issue ?

Is this (extra?) delete-question possible to implement in Emby Theater WMC gui, as it was in MCE and make it more MCE-compatible that way ?

Thanks & best regards, Peter

• Agree 2

17 hours ago, Peter Nent said:

In MCE, when stop viewing a TV-recording, it asks what to do: delete or stay or...etc. which is very convenient. In Emby Theater WMC gui stop viewing a live-TV recording does'nt ask you: you have to re-select the recoding and then choose...which is not as convenient as it was in MCE.

In the first moment I was quite confused, because WMC definitely doesn't "ask" you whether you want to delete a recording.

But then I fired up WMC and understood what you actually mean: When stopping, WMC is showing the detail view of the item you were just watching. And this view does have (among other commands) a delete button.

I see that it got @Lukeconfused, same like me. It's not a general feature request then, but doable for the WMC UI. 
I've created a new item to track it here: https://github.com/EmbySupport/Emby.WMC.UI/issues/37

Thanks

Edited by softworkz
  • Agree 1

@ebr- thanks for the reference.

It's not quite clear from the FR, how exactly this is meant to be implemented. Personally, I do not really sympathize with the idea of having a dialog popping up each time, asking for whether you want to delete. But what really makes sense is that - on end or on stop - you are taken back to the detail view of the item you were playing like WMC does:

image.png.52ee7025aa91da511b3db7dc42be4072.png

From there, you can not only delete, but you got all the actions for the item available (next slide) and you can access other showings (second-next slide) etc.

Or go back again and you're at the place from where you started (which is also where WMC UI is taking you right now).

Edited by softworkz

Read the FR for some of the issues involved in that implementation.  Really, the only way to accomplish what is truly desired here, IMO, is with some sort of option at end of playback - perhaps tied in with the "next episode" popup that is already there - could be a "play  next and delete this one" option - but I think that should be only optional (enabled by the server admin per-library).

Also, shouldn't be specific to this theme.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, ebr said:

Also, shouldn't be specific to this theme.

Right! The only WMC UI change in this regard will be to show the item-view on stop, from where it is possible to delete (given that permissions are granted).

The full story as depicted in the referenced feature request is out-of-scope for the WMC UI.