Selected/Dynamic Downmixing to Stereo

Nightreaver

Nightreaver

Hello, there have been many discussions about it, like 6 years ago, but I kind of want to ask something else.

When I play recent movies in browser (currently FF) I can see that audio is getting transcoded to AAC 384bit (stereo i guess?).
As we all know, regular downmixing to stereo is never a good thing, what I do for selected movies is "nightmode" downmixing beforehand which is kind of... annoying. (See  https://superuser.com/questions/852400/properly-downmix-5-1-to-stereo-using-ffmpeg > Downmixing with Robert Collier's Nightmode Dialogue )
The difference is quite big!

My question is, is it possible to add an "dynamic stereo" option to Emby playback (mostly browser and mobile might benefit from it) that forces stereo downmix with above option.

So lets say, my source file has an ENG 5.1 DTS, I currently only see 5.1 as audio channel, and when I play it, it gets downmixed to stereo in a quite bad way (usually voice is much quieter than anything else) which is always been bad. As soon as the action scenes come, its getting too loud, and when you turn it down, you might not understand conversations anymore.

So the new option with add an "on the fly" stereo channel, additionally to the 5.1. which will force emby audio to transcode, but using a specific downmix mode like "Nightmode Diaglogue" or whatever. (Admins might be able to add/select their own "filter" in the server managements transcoding/advanced options or disable this feature ).

Example (hardcoded):

grafik.png.f084719da253d608a8d3417989870582.png

The new dynamic option instead can be show as italic or "*" ed option, to mark them as something special.

This way, I can turn the - already happening - downmixing into a more useful one. I don't need to transcode the audio beforehand,  and I save some storage from just adding "Nightmode Stereo" to all movies, while I only need it once in a while.

I guess hardware these days is fast enough to allow this ?

Cheers

• Thanks 2

Nightreaver
On 11/27/2023 at 8:29 PM, Luke said:

Sounds neat.

So, you would accept it as a feature request, or you need anything else? :)

19 hours ago, Nightreaver said:

So, you would accept it as a feature request, or you need anything else? :)

Yes certainly.

• Thanks 2