Remote access CGNAT IPv6 DDNS?

archiel

I am running an Emby Server on windows 11, have a premiere account and until now everything is running fine.  

I am looking to move ISP, but the new provider only offers CGNAT for IPv4, it also offers IPv6.  Static IPv4 is not a realistic option - large price jump and I would loose all IPv6.  My DDNS service supports IPv4 and IPv6.

Once CGNAT is switched on, I know I will loose port forwarding on the IPv4 address,  but want to know if Emby still work with traffic coming via IPv6 or if I need to consider other solutions.

The LAN supports IPv4 and IPv6 and the router port forwarding rules are to IPv4 LAN addresses (ASUS RT-AX88U)

Thanks 

Archiel

Hi, have you looked into VPN options or TailScale? That's usually the solution when your ISP uses a cgnat.

but want to know if Emby still work with traffic coming via IPv6

But yes if you did an ipv6 only setup, that will work too.

Hi, I am looking at both VPN ( i have WireGuard server running on the router and WG clients on my Nvidia TV Shields) and was considering the possibility of adding ZeroTier to the router - I would need to lookup TailScale, as I have never come across it.

BUT, what I am looking for is the simplest (secure) solution, so if it works with IPv6, that would be fine, but do not follow what you mean by an ipv6 only setup - does that mean I would need to remove my current Emby server and rebuild?

Edited by archiel

• 3 months later...
Fabian2101
On 11/24/2023 at 2:10 PM, Luke said:

Hi, have you looked into VPN options or TailScale? That's usually the solution when your ISP uses a cgnat.

But yes if you did an ipv6 only setup, that will work too.

@Luke  Please can you explain to me in more detail how to use VPN or TailScale to achieve remote streaming since my current ISP uses CG-NAT. It is the first time that I have encountered the problem of bypassing the CG-NAT restrictions.

41 minutes ago, Fabian2101 said:

@Luke  Please can you explain to me in more detail how to use VPN or TailScale to achieve remote streaming since my current ISP uses CG-NAT. It is the first time that I have encountered the problem of bypassing the CG-NAT restrictions.

HI, this looks like a good tutorial on setting up TailScale:

Please let us know if it helps. Thanks.

• Thanks 1