How are you collections organised?

Jasoon

How do you have you main movie collections organised?

I have ~1000 films in my movie folder and trawling thru them is starting to be a pain....

Just wondering how others have there's organised....

The only thing I separate out are my concert DVD/BD rips.  I don't want them showing up with the rest of my movies because, although they are "movies" as far as MB is concerned, they aren't.

seanbuff

My filesystem organisation is split into 'HD Movies' and 'SD Movies' folders.

While, using MB2, I have different views for:

• New Releases (sorted by Date Added)
  • Movies A-Z (sort alphabetically)
  • Movies by Genre
  • HD Movies

This is the easiest way I find to organise them in a fashion that allows be to narrow down into smaller groups. Collection is a little over 2250.

I can't currently do the same with MB3 and MB Classic, so I'm holding off for now. However been using the MB Server since its public release and find it's data filtering system to be fantastic (if the client supports it)

Movies by Genre is a good way to start at least, assuming you have tidy metadata.

steve1977

How do you have you main movie collections organised?

I have ~1000 films in my movie folder and trawling thru them is starting to be a pain....

Just wondering how others have there's organised....

Assume you have them in individual folders? If not, would definitely encourage you to do so as it will otherwise prevent you from adding all the fancy posters et al that MBC can create for you.

Besides that, it shouldn't be a pain as you should never even scroll through your movie folder. That's what MBS/MBT are for. With them, you can filter, sort, slice&dice in whatever way you want. I have more than 4,000 movies and never even look at the actual movie folders...

Heckler

I have 2 folders HD and SD movies, which are a combination of movies and boxsets.

But like the OP, with over 800 movies in a single MB folder... Finding something to watch can be a pain, I can spend ages scrolling through for something to catch my eye.  I do have all unwatched movies at the start of the folder, everything else is alphabetically of course.

But as I replace SD movies with HD versions... pretty soon that SD folder will become redundant and I'll have over 1000 films in a single folder.

I make use of Movies by Genre which helps narrow choices down depending on my mood... But things like the action genre still have some 500 or so movies in them. I used to have a 'Movies by actor' folder too... but that got silly with an IBN folder of around 15000 actors.

Starting to think about putting some films into a collection/boxset... Like Kevin Smith and Tarantino films, I've got all of the Jack Ryan movies that I can put in one too. I keep all 12 Star Treks in a single folder as well as all Superman movies.

But as OP said... it's a struggle to pick something to watch, and scrolling can actually cause the program to crash if you go to fast.

Wow, terrible compression artifacts. We need to fix that.

Until Abo figures out what is causing it, if you resize your screen shots to 700px wide, this doesn't happen.

Thanks for the info guys :)

All my movies are in there own folder ive turned on the genre folder so that gives the other half a bit more of a fighting chance when she's looking for a movie lol 

aspdend

I have 2 folders HD and SD movies, which are a combination of movies and boxsets.

But like the OP, with over 800 movies in a single MB folder... Finding something to watch can be a pain, I can spend ages scrolling through for something to catch my eye.  I do have all unwatched movies at the start of the folder, everything else is alphabetically of course.

But as I replace SD movies with HD versions... pretty soon that SD folder will become redundant and I'll have over 1000 films in a single folder.

I make use of Movies by Genre which helps narrow choices down depending on my mood... But things like the action genre still have some 500 or so movies in them. I used to have a 'Movies by actor' folder too... but that got silly with an IBN folder of around 15000 actors.

Starting to think about putting some films into a collection/boxset... Like Kevin Smith and Tarantino films, I've got all of the Jack Ryan movies that I can put in one too. I keep all 12 Star Treks in a single folder as well as all Superman movies.

But as OP said... it's a struggle to pick something to watch, and scrolling can actually cause the program to crash if you go to fast.

I'm with Heckler - I have a movies SD and a movies HD folder and all boxsets live in those folders as well - total approx 2400 movies. They all live on my UnRAID server and the only times I access them directly is to replace an SD movie with an HD equivalent or to move movie or two into a boxset folder. Generally we watch movies either by selecting the date of release or by the genre or by the favourites option...I have certain genres I have added to ease selection, such as Star Trek, Harry Potter, Classics, Vampire etc overall, I've found that the WAF is high doing it this way...

steve1977

Exactly. Slicing and dicing with data is much more powerful than with folders.

I like how you had split it. How did you create a group for "Sunday funnies"? Is this some sort of smart playlist?

I like how you had split it. How did you create a group for "Sunday funnies"? Is this some sort of smart playlist?

They are all created by mbt.

steve1977

Any chance to create these in MBS rather than MBT? This way, all my clients would be able to choose from the same playlists?

WarrenH

I have Genre Folders:

Action

Drama

Comedy

SciFi

Sport

Animation

New Releases

New stuff goes into New Releases for about a couple of months until the household (4 PC's) have had opportunity to view, then the Movie gets moved in to a Genre-specific folder. This makes browsing in MB easier, faster and back-ups simpler. And avoids having to plough thru 1,000 movies to find something you may be interested in watching.

Do similar for TV Series.

Edited by WarrenH

cpttango30

I have a 4 drive set up. 

C: Main drive OS only. 

F: Movies

--- Movies

------ Movie folders

G: Media

--- MMA

--- Movie Rips

--- Music

--- Music Videos

--- Newly Encoded

--- TV

--- Unsorted Media

--- Vuze Downloads

I: TV

--- TV

-----Show Folders

I have vuze download to the vuze download folder then once it is complete it moves the files to the unsorted media folder. From there once seeding is stopped I used Media Center Master to move tv and movie files to their proper destination. 

NOTE: I had to split my TV between 2 hard drives as I was down to 500gb on the main TV drive. C is 500gb all others are 3tb WD Green Drives. I split the TV between to keep reliability up. 

My System specs are 

AMD A-8 3870k CPU

16gb Ram

Asus motherboard

Asus Blue ray drive

1 500gb HDD 

3 3tb WD green drives

2 800 slient fans

coolermaster slient 120mm CPU fan

Soon I am adding a video card of a EVGA GeForce GTX 650 2gb.

• 2 weeks later...
mithhunter55

Just got my 3TB harddrive(black friday Presale) the other day. I had been a bit annoyed that not all my movies fit on one drive. I had been trying to do any movie that has a sequel went on to a alternate drive but the break down did not work enough to get the one off movies under 2TB. So now They have all been recombine to just 2 folders. Movies and Movie Collections, within movie collections I have the folders tagged as Series or Various. For example Superman, Spiderman, Batman films are listed as various given they all have reboots series ect. I haven't figured out what do do with my tv shows and anime yet, for right now they are both on another drive.

Here is the breakdown of my drive right now. Blue=MP4, Green=AVI, Red=MKV and the one yellow is the only .AVI.  I restarted my entire collection of years just because I was tired of running in to old postage stamp sized avi files. Most of these are 1080P.528023bf23b7a_moviesFolderFileBreakdown.

Edited by mithhunter55

CashMoney

I've got 4 hard drives on the go, with various media spread over the 4 in 6 partitions. But basically I have Movie folders, Music folders and TV Shows folders, all numbered and put where space allows; as a disk fills up and I don't find anything to delete, another disk is added. Disk 1 has the Windows partition, then a second Media1 partition that has Movies1, TV Shows1, Music1, Photos. Disk 2 has a single partition with Movies2, TV Shows2. And so on and so forth.

I really should invest in a large disk or two, but to be honest, with MediaBrowser adding everything to the correct libraries, the only time I look at them as folders is when I'm running low on space.

I keep my movies in individual folders, and keep boxsets in the root movie folder along with the single movie folders.

Media1

- Movies1

-- Iron Man Collection [boxset]

- TV Shows1

-- Castle (2009)

--- Season1

Media2

- Movies2

-- Rocky Collection [boxset]

- TV Shows2

-- Continuum

--- Season1

RaxPower

Right now i just have a big TV / Music / Movies folders, and use the in built searching and seperation (Genre/studio etc)

Its working for now, dont know when ill have to change as my movie collection is pretty small (just around 300 or so)