Android TV App - "resume" play stops after about 16 seconds (always)

PeteBete

PeteBete

Issue: When resuming a previously played media, media play stops after about 16 seconds.

The only ways to continue play are: 1) use play from start (not resume), or 2) skip a few frames ahead - but then stops again after 16 seconds. Play from start works fine until the end (always).

Media: The Flash - S02E10  (Video: 1080p AV1 - Audio: English OPUS 5.1 (default)

Emby App Log sent at: UTC-5 19:17 on the 18th November 2023 (Australia)

Emby user on the local server: Pete-Bete

IMG_4084.jpg.8da580c20dfa44fd9cef6759859fcce9.jpg

Edited by PeteBete
Image position overlap on text

Hi.  Something is going on with the transcode.  The player is just sitting in a buffering state waiting for more data.

Can you please post the ffmpeg log that goes with that app log?

PeteBete

I note that the ffmpeg-transcode.log from the latest run to generate the above Emby Server debug log now shows the following error: (see update ffmpeg-transcode log...)

09:25:20.371 [segment @ 0x2da628f8b0] Opening '/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.emby.embyserver/files/transcoding-temp/479B10/479B10_s2.m3u8.tmp' for writing
09:25:20.374 SegmentComplete=video:1 Index=846 Start=2538.001000 End=2541.003000 Duration=3.002000 offset_pts=0 start_pts=2538001000 Frames=72 filename=479B10_s2_846.vtt
09:25:20.374 [segment @ 0x2da628f8b0] Opening '/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.emby.embyserver/files/transcoding-temp/479B10/479B10_s2_847.vtt.tmp' for writing
09:25:20.593 [h264_mediacodecndk @ 0x2db6296460] NdkEnc: Cannot get input pixdesc!
09:25:20.593 Error submitting video frame to the encoder
09:25:20.688 Conversion failed!

ffmpeg-transcode-eea4a2c3-2c67-415c-8d4c-5b8dd7d78414_1.txt

PeteBete

Update: I assume the issue is related to the hardware (Nividia Shield Pro) transcoder H.264?

In the next test I disabled the Emby Server Transcoding option for H.264 (AVC) (under Preferred Hardware Decoders).

H264-Transcoding-Hardware-Off.jpg.e94a307a890174fe039cf28d01b3ac4b.jpg

Now the video plays reasonably continuous, though with poor video quality and some frame freezing at the start of the 'resume'.

The difference now is that play continues - when the pauses occur (about 3 seconds recovery time).

* Relevant ffmpeg-transcode.log (with hardware H.264 off) posted here:

I might assume that using a Nividia Shield Pro for a Emby Server - and using it for a Emby client (play) is too much to ask ?
I make note that using EmbyCon Kodi add-on as the (Kodi based) client for playing works well - I just prefer the Emby App for playback.

ffmpeg-transcode-85fd7f9a-46d6-4b22-9571-a54d3b75bbfa_1.txt

PeteBete
38 minutes ago, PeteBete said:

In the next test I disabled the Emby Server Transcoding option for H.264 (AVC) (under Preferred Hardware Decoders).

*Note: Both the Hardware H.264 Decoder AND Encoder were disabled in the test.

PeteBete

I also tried to setting the Emby server cache and transcoding temporary files settings to use the external 3Tb hard drive attached (USB) to the Nvidia Shield Pro (where the video library is stored). Did not really change the problem.

Now the weird part is that via my Local LAN, using the Nvidia Shield Pro as the Emby server, all web clients work normally for the same video stream - and with the Transcoding H.264 hardware enabled - as does  EmbyCon Kodi add-on as the (Kodi based) client for playing via the Nvidia Shield Pro...

Emby-Server.jpg

Edited by PeteBete
add image

PeteBete

Reminder: The described error ONLY occurs within the Emby Client when a previous play stream queue is resumed.

Otherwise 'play from start always' works, as does pausing the current stream and at some point continuing to play.

However, if you leave the current stream (Emby client) AND then use resume, you get the 16 second play before it pauses indefinitely (at least using Hardware H.264).

No other client is effected.

Edited by PeteBete
missing word

PeteBete

Sorry - Update 2: Pausing the current play stream for more than a few minutes does cause the same problem - a indefinite pause after about 16 seconds of play ?

That's a known issue unfortunately with AV1 sources. 

FFmpeg creates HLS segments of 1s length instead of 3s. The symptoms of this vary between players (but it's not their fault).

I haven't gotten behind this yet, but I'll give it another go.

Thanks for reporting!

Edited by softworkz
  • Like 1

PeteBete

Update: I have (for now) switched to using 'Emby App Android' + 'VLC' as an external player (via Emby App Playback Settings for an external player). This combo works perfectly... (VLC remembers where to resume play).