It's 2023...No PGS subs or DTS without transcoding? Really LG??

Ronstang

Ronstang

I cannot believe this, I have brand new TVs that cannot actually use emby properly?   So I have to stick a Firestick in all the LG TVs that use my servers because the latest app cannot play PGS subs or DTS audio without transcoding?  This should be a deal breaker for any emby user buying a new TV.....LG should not even be on your radar.   

I like the 2 LG TVs I have but they are in my boys' rooms so not a big deal, but all of a sudden they are getting old enough to want to watch real movies, of which I have tons, but all my Blu-Ray rips have DTS audio and PGS subs so all of a sudden I went from never transcoding to always transcoding.  Why are these two STANDARDS not supported in LG yet?  

I realize the solution is a $30 Firestick but why should I have to add another level to navigate to use emby?  It's bad enough the image processing and quality is no where near my Sony TVs and videos start playing like old low grade YouTube videos with macroblock pixelation like my old Samsung did 10 years ago with Netflix.

It's 2023, are LG TVs this bad across the lineup?  I actually wanted a C3 OLED but if the image processing and LG app are this horrendous then I will never buy another LG.

Hi, LG TV's don't support PGS subtitles natively. For what it's worth, neither do Samsung or Roku.

Regarding DTS, it does look like some newer LG's are getting DTS support again, but I'm not sure if it's limited to certain models only or certain regions. @SamESmay know.

Why are these two STANDARDS not supported in LG yet?  

In the case of DTS, because it costs them money in licensing fees, and the mass market audience wants their TVs as cheap as possible. And DTS is not a standard. It is a format invented by DTS technologies, and they've been able to make it attractive enough to convince some movie studios to use it (for a price),  and some TV makers to embed support for it (also for a price).

But your average joe consumer is playing from netflix, youtube and disney, none of which use DTS or PGS subtitles. As a result, these things have a fairly tiny audience, which makes it not worth the cost in licensing fees or the effort to support them.

Ronstang

Well it's good to know I am a Sony and Firestick guy then because they play everything and do it much better than the other TVs I have viewed but what's the point of a so called smart TV it it's too dumb to play the only sub standard to the most popular HD format for movies and you need to use a Firestick?  

Ronstang
1 minute ago, Luke said:

As a result, these things have a fairly tiny audience, which makes it not worth the cost in licensing fees or the effort to support them.

Well my cheap family members are about to learn that it's firesticks or no more emby for them....LOL

Just now, Ronstang said:

Well it's good to know I am a Sony and Firestick guy then because they play everything and do it much better than the other TVs I have viewed but what's the point of a so called smart TV it it's too dumb to play the only sub standard to the most popular HD format for movies and you need to use a Firestick?  

Smart TV's play the most important streaming formats used by the mass market audience for netflix, youtube, disney, etc. That is their target audience.

What ends up happening is the enthusiast audience, such as you and I, try to push them beyond what they were designed for and that's when you run into trouble.

2 minutes ago, Ronstang said:

The only reason firestick can play them is because it runs android, and android app developers can add their own support for just about anything, even when the device doesn't support it on it's own. 

But that's going to be changing in the coming months when amazon devices switch to their new Vega OS: https://www.gadgets360.com/tv/news/amazon-fire-tv-os-vega-android-2024-launch-smart-display-tablets-4564059

Ronstang
1 minute ago, Luke said:

What ends up happening is the enthusiast audience, such as you and I, try to push them beyond what they were designed for and that's when you run into trouble.

Well, there's an easy solution....SONY.  Then you get the best image processing and all the other goodies too....plus old DVD content compressed with HEVC for emby looks amazing on my 90 series Sony.  I have always thought Samsung TVs are garbage so I would never buy one again anyway.  I can't complain about the price of my LG TVs for the boys at the price and I have a drawer of extra Firestick 4Ks since I upgraded all my TVs so I will just stick those in the LG TVs and never buy one again.

Ronstang
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

But that's going to be changing in the coming months when amazon devices switch to their new Vega OS

Does that mean they will be garbage too?  Because I need to buy a bunch of current ones then

Just now, Ronstang said:

Does that mean they will be garbage too?  Because I need to buy a bunch of current ones then

I think it will be a good move for them, but obviously there could very well be trade-offs that come with it.

I saw a report yesterday that some non-TV devices appear to have already been updated to it. I can't find the article and I don't remember what type of device it was, but if it's true then it looks like even some current devices will be getting it.

Ronstang

I really don't care about DTS because a lot of discs are mastered with full blown non compressed DTS which means the audio file ends up as big or 2 times the size or even larger than the HEVC compressed video so it doesn't make sense to keep them anyway.  

I am currently ripping, and in some cases re-ripping my discs, and I have decided to use XMedia Recode in the interim process of getting my files ready to take the DTS track and create a default stereo AAC and then a 5.1 AAC track anyway because AAC is variable bit rate and the space savings makes it worth the few minutes to queue and wait....plus with Xmedia Recode I can add SRT subtitles to those movies that do not have any from the source and add them right into the MKV, set default tracks etc.  It's also a win that the two AAC audio tracks are usually smaller than a single track from the disc by a decent margin so smaller footprint and universal compatibility. 

But I had just gotten to the point where I was not making SRT subs from the PGS because my TVs don't need them.....so I guess it's back to that.  Luckily the newest version of Subtitle Edit has a very fast and accurate OCR so I can do many in an evening and with Xmedia Recode I can then add them into the MKV and make them the default to save me transcoding headaches. The benefit of taking the time to make the SRT subs is I can strip out all the hearing impaired stuff with makes the subs look ugly and I don't have any users that are hard of hearing.....albeit some have hearing aides LOL.

3 hours ago, Ronstang said:

It's 2023, are LG TVs this bad across the lineup?  I actually wanted a C3 OLED but if the image processing and LG app are this horrendous then I will never buy another LG.

2023 QNED85 and higher models and all 2023 OLED models now support DTS, it's enabled in the next Emby LG client update

• Like 2

Ronstang
54 minutes ago, SamES said:

2023 QNED85 and higher models and all 2023 OLED models now support DTS, it's enabled in the next Emby LG client update

What about PGS subs?  That is more important to me.

25 minutes ago, Ronstang said:

What about PGS subs?  That is more important to me.

Sorry, not supported.

FrostByte
4 hours ago, SamES said:

That's what all the makers should do.  Put it in the premium sets and let the consumer decide if they want to pay extra for licensing fees for DTS.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Ronstang
6 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Put it in the premium sets and let the consumer decide if they want to pay extra for licensing fees for DTS

Most people wouldn't understand or even know about this.  What I don't know is does this affect a disc played by a stand alone player if using the TV sound?  Because most of my discs have DTS sound.  For us it's not as big of a deal as I just re-encode the sound to something compatible and it really doesn't take that long....well until you realize you have several thousand discs to do.

I care more about the PGS subtitles and it makes no sense that LG does not support them, at least to me.  I was eyeing an LG OLED as my next den TV but that won't happen now, it'll be a Sony.

• Like 1

FrostByte
21 minutes ago, Ronstang said:

Most people wouldn't understand or even know about this.  What I don't know is does this affect a disc played by a stand alone player if using the TV sound?  Because most of my discs have DTS sound.  For us it's not as big of a deal as I just re-encode the sound to something compatible and it really doesn't take that long....well until you realize you have several thousand discs to do.

I care more about the PGS subtitles and it makes no sense that LG does not support them, at least to me.  I was eyeing an LG OLED as my next den TV but that won't happen now, it'll be a Sony.

Slap a configurable Emby/Plx button on the remote to cover the licensing costs and a lot more people would understand :)

Interesting.  I've been looking at new QD-Oleds and didn't know Sony supported PGS subtitles.

Ronstang
4 hours ago, FrostByte said:

didn't know Sony supported PGS subtitles

Sony seems to support everything, just like Firesticks.  I became a Sony user by accident but once I did I got spoiled.  My first 4K TV was a 2013 model I bought in 2014 on closeout because the new models were coming out....and it has 120hz refresh rate, which to me is one of the most important features because I will not buy any TV without at least this refresh rate because it takes motion issues out of the mix.  All TVs with 60hz refresh rate have some form of judder control but they are all hit or miss and I can see issues immediately at any setting.

I still have this TV in the den but it has a Firestick because it's smart features are limited and the picture is still quite good.  My two new Sony TVs are Google TVs and after I got used to the interface I like them especially since I never even calibrated either and they look awesome and they play everything. 

My problem is most of my users are cheap and buy on sale TVs.  They brag about how cheap this or that set was on sale and all I can think of is "you get what you pay for" and a $400 65" TV is only for people who can't afford anything else.....no slight there as I know plenty of people who can't.  

• Like 1

Ronstang
3 hours ago, Luke said:

Ah yes, that was it. I'm looking forward to this for Fire TVs. The sooner the better.

But what does this mean for the emby app for the FireTV platform?  If it's Android based are the newer Fire TVs and other devices going to be without an emby app for the foreseeable future?  And for those of us that bought the app do we have to buy it again since it's a different platform?

Edited by Ronstang

1 hour ago, Ronstang said:

But what does this mean for the emby app for the FireTV platform?  If it's Android based are the newer Fire TVs and other devices going to be without an emby app for the foreseeable future?  And for those of us that bought the app do we have to buy it again since it's a different platform?

As soon as dev tools are available we'll jump right on it.

• Like 1

Ronstang
6 hours ago, Luke said:

As soon as dev tools are available we'll jump right on it.

That only answered part of my question Luke...

• 2 weeks later...
Supremekermit
On 16/11/2023 at 05:28, SamES said:

Hi SamES, this is brilliant news, I've been scratching my head the last few days trying to figure out why my G3 wasn't playing DTS tracks in Emby but ok through other apps, glad to have found out the update is coming. is there any ETA on this by chance?

Many thanks in advance!

• 2 months later...

Hi, can you please try Emby for LG 1.0.41 and see how things compare? Thanks !