MacOS to Android

sundevil67

sundevil67

I’ve been using Apple products pretty much exclusively for > 20 years now, and admit I am not a big fan of the Android OS. That said, my 2011 Mac Mini is no longer capable of running Emby Server, and I don’t have $1k exactly burning a hole in my pocket for a new one. I came across a bunch of Android boxes like this one for around $30, and am wondering if something like this could be a viable interim solution until I can get a new Mac. 

• I’ve noticed that pretty much all of them come with 4GB of RAM or less. Is this adequate, or will it be slow like the Mac (which has at least 16GB)?
  • I have been regularly backing up my Emby Server settings. Is it fairly straightforward and painless to switch from MacOS server? Will I be able to retain all of my existing settings and metadata?

Thanks for any input.

sundevil67
On 11/14/2023 at 3:29 PM, Luke said:

Hi, regarding backup, please take a look at our backup guide and let us know if this helps:

Configuration Backup

Thanks.

I did a quick glance and thought that was just about backup procedures. Now that I got a closer look, I see there are instructions about restoring from the backup & migrating to a new OS. I also noticed it says library contents & metadata are not backed up. When I factor in the general 10x level of difficulty & hassle automatically added when adding Android to any equation, and see all of the potential pitfalls like losing directory locations, etc., it looks like a gigantic debacle that isn't worth the effort. If Apple were to discontinue its OS, leaving no choice but to switch to Android permanently, that'd be something else, but I think I'll just wait for the new hardware.

At present, it does work about 25% of the time....and when it does, speed actually isn't really an issue... so it may not be related just to my old hardware after all...It also seems to work much more often when using the Samsung version of the app. Mostly it's the FireTV version that gives me the most trouble...but we've already troubleshooted it to death & it's impossible to replicate. If it does turn out to be equally as unreliable with the new hardware, then we'll have to look a little harder. Thanks for pointing to the doc; I should have slowed down & read it more carefully.

sundevil67
On 11/16/2023 at 12:05 PM, Luke said:

Hi, what works 25% of the time?

Emby in general. Maybe I exaggerated a little; it's probably about 50/50, & sometimes maybe it is just so painfully slow that I'll just try Prime or something else if I want to watch something quick while I'm eating lunch or something. The "recently watched" row links that drops to about 15%. It is impossible to diagnose because it is so intermittent & can't be reproduced intentionally. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I've mostly attributed it to my old hardware, but there will be random times where it not only works, it is downright zippy..but that is really rare.

OK the upcoming 4.8 server release will have greatly improved database performance, which may help with this.