Cannot connect on home network or outside of home network

MikeyF
Go to solution Solved by pwhodges,

So I got Emby set up how I like it, and im able to acess and sign in on my computer, but when i try to connect on any other device it doesnt work, is there anything i could do? I've opened a port on my firewall, as well as port forwarded on my router. Any help is appreciated!

Hello MikeyF,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

pwhodges

Start inside your network - can you reach the server from, say, a phone on the same wifi?  If not, and assuming the laptop is running Windows, check whether the network interface is in "Public" mode, and if it is change it to "Private".

Once that's working, check the setup instructions for remote connections here:

https://emby.media/support/articles/Connectivity.html

and for more detail if that wasn't enough, here:

https://github.com/EmbySupport/Emby.Docs/blob/master/Remote-Setup.md

Paul

rbjtech

@Abobader@Luke@ebr@Carlo

Is there any reason why the auto 'how to report a problem' does not also point to the common 'issues/resolutions' - a common one being the connectivity wiki ?

Depending on where the post originated from - it could also apply some logic and use common resolutions for that sub-forum area..

We have the power of AI available to us - and yet we seem to be stuck in the dark ages with forums posts, the same old questions and the same old answers - is there anything we can do to get a little more pro-active/selective in this space ?

Edited by rbjtech

27 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

Start inside your network - can you reach the server from, say, a phone on the same wifi?  If not, and assuming the laptop is running Windows, check whether the network interface is in "Public" mode, and if it is change it to "Private".

Once that's working, check the setup instructions for remote connections here:

https://emby.media/support/articles/Connectivity.html

and for more detail if that wasn't enough, here:

https://github.com/EmbySupport/Emby.Docs/blob/master/Remote-Setup.md

Paul

Hey, I'm not that great with this network shit, how do I check if it's in public or private mode?

Gilgamesh_48
5 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

We have the power of AI available to us - and yet we seem to be stuck in the dark ages with forums posts, the same old questions and the same old answers - is there anything we can do to get a little more pro-active/selective in this space ?

To have "AI" you must first have "I." Since we are, at least most of us are, human the presence of "I" is debatable at best.

Actually I am of a sufficient age that I distrust "AI" a lot. I also do not, at least yet, believe that "AI" is good for much of anything at all.

I think the "AI" vision of movies like "The Terminator" or even the milder vision of "2001" is much more likely than any of the feel good interpretations that have ever existed. And while Asimov's "Three Laws" seems like a good idea it is VERY doubtful that many/any actual "AI" creators will include anything like that. 

I agree that there should be direct links to possible solutions in "How to report a problem" I do NOT believe that "AI" should have any part in the interactions with users at all.

Emby is one example of a good implementation of technology but much of the time various "AI" implementations are of a VERY different sort.

• Solution
pwhodges

10 minutes ago, MikeyF said:

Hey, I'm not that great with this network shit, how do I check if it's in public or private mode?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/make-a-wi-fi-network-public-or-private-in-windows-0460117d-8d3e-a7ac-f003-7a0da607448d#:~:text=Select Start %2C then type settings,Public (Recommended) or Private.

Note that Public is "recommended" - but that is for security at a level which prevents file sharing or things like Emby.  This is why you need to change it to Private, which assumes that the local network is a safe environment.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges
  • Like 1

rbjtech
19 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

To have "AI" you must first have "I." Since we are, at least most of us are, human the presence of "I" is debatable at best.

Actually I am of a sufficient age that I distrust "AI" a lot. I also do not, at least yet, believe that "AI" is good for much of anything at all.

I think the "AI" vision of movies like "The Terminator" or even the milder vision of "2001" is much more likely than any of the feel good interpretations that have ever existed. And while Asimov's "Three Laws" seems like a good idea it is VERY doubtful that many/any actual "AI" creators will include anything like that. 

I agree that there should be direct links to possible solutions in "How to report a problem" I do NOT believe that "AI" should have any part in the interactions with users at all.

Emby is one example of a good implementation of technology but much of the time various "AI" implementations are of a VERY different sort.

I wasn't suggesting emby use AI ;) - learning is a very different proposition to fixed responses - which in a large % of cases will resolve the majority of all the questions on this forum  using 'experience' - the number of responses that need 'intelligence' are imho very low indeed... 

pwhodges

Frankly, the AI term is being bandied about so much at present that it is being used to describe programmes which have no learning ability at all, but are simply well-designed and sophisticated programs for doing a job.  I suspect that the "AI" used in processing the audio of the new "last" Beatles song falls into that category - I mean I have, perhaps not the most sophisticated but still, several programs which can do a fair job of isolating single voices or parts out of a recording right here on this computer I'm typing on - and paying thousands rather than hundreds could certainly get me ones that are even better at it.

I hope this OT sub-thread isn't putting the OP off!

Paul

1 hour ago, pwhodges said:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/make-a-wi-fi-network-public-or-private-in-windows-0460117d-8d3e-a7ac-f003-7a0da607448d#:~:text=Select Start %2C then type settings,Public (Recommended) or Private.

Note that Public is "recommended" - but that is for security at a level which prevents file sharing or things like Emby.  This is why you need to change it to Private, which assumes that the local network is a safe environment.

Paul

aye thank you this worked!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rbjtech said:

s there any reason why the auto 'how to report a problem' does not also point to the common 'issues/resolutions' - a common one being the connectivity wiki ?

Depending on where the post originated from - it could also apply some logic and use common resolutions for that sub-forum area..

Well buddy, it not meant to be as a solution for top related answer, but mainly to inform "0 post new member in this sub-forum" to provide a log, so he/she get fast reply from the dev's and our top help members like you.

Sure I can apply what you suggest and it easy to do it and put @Luke from his pain, but no, we like to see him suffer :) 

• Haha 2
  • Thanks 1

Sorry guys, I need to correct my reply:

17 minutes ago, Abobader said:

Sure I can apply what

We.

17 minutes ago, Abobader said:

and it easy to do it

It need some modifications and add-on to make it work right, btw, many works come from our team here.

• Thanks 1