Roku TV Stopped playing with subtitles

jatobi
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Just now, softworkz said:

Ok, user is emby:

image.thumb.png.01e98978d6c278c6fc896029db25d8dc.png

There's also an ffmpeg process running - intentional or zombie?

that ffmpeg process is emby, so its intentional.

But yes, user is emby, and everything is owned by emby and set to 777.

You can check for SELinux with getenforce

You can check for ACLs with getfacl /path/to/file_or_directory

In case of ACLs, there would also be a plus sign behind the permissions when you do ls -l

-rwxr-xr-x+ 1 user group 12345 Nov 1 12:34 filename

Also check the web interface:

In the Control Panel under "Shared Folder", there are options to set up shared folder permissions, advanced permissions, and ACL (Access Control List). Advanced permissions allow you to set up Windows ACL, which provides a finer granularity of control compared to traditional Linux file permissions.

And just for kicks, can you try creating this folder:

/var/packages/EmbyServer/var/metadata/SubtitleFonts

Which obviously shouldn't be necessary, but just as a test.

10 minutes ago, Luke said:

4 hours ago, jatobi said:

I tried to make that folder manually and place the file it was trying to move into it.  Causes emby to fail immediately upon pressing play.  Deleting the file same result.  I have to then delete the /SubtitleFonts/ folder I manually made in order for emby to attempt to play the file again (which never does and just errors).  It will load, 0%, 33%, 60%, 99%, 33% then error.  Constantly over and over with the error being this error we're encountering above.

19 hours ago, Luke said:

See above post from Softworkz.  I Was locked out of posting for 24 hours, hit max post count, and was at work all day.

Hi, I think you might have some self inflicted permissions issues from using winscp vs making permission changes strictly from SSH as SU.

If you strictly followed the migrate article as written your permissions should be proper. I would not even fireup or use winscp in any way to fix this issue or view the file system for now. Use of Winscp (with unknown configuration) just adds an additional layer of complexity to resolving the permissions issue.

Assuming you still have the DSM6 version directories intact, I would delete and remove the EmbyServer directory ie /@appData/EmbyServer and start over strictly following the guide you referenced. It's tried and true and just works.

Carlo

5 hours ago, Carlo said:

Hi, I think you might have some self inflicted permissions issues from using winscp vs making permission changes strictly from SSH as SU.

If you strictly followed the migrate article as written your permissions should be proper. I would not even fireup or use winscp in any way to fix this issue or view the file system for now. Use of Winscp (with unknown configuration) just adds an additional layer of complexity to resolving the permissions issue.

Assuming you still have the DSM6 version directories intact, I would delete and remove the EmbyServer directory ie /@appData/EmbyServer and start over strictly following the guide you referenced. It's tried and true and just works.

Carlo

Except that doesn’t work.

If you read through the thread, I upgraded to DSM 7 strictly trying to fix this issue that just came about from no where.  After following the guide and it not working, I’ve completely uninstalled and nuked everything Emby from the synology and started again from scratch and it doesn’t work.

The permissions are set, it makes no sense.

This is strictly a Roku problem.  Does not do this error at all on Firefox pc or iPhone.  I haven’t checked on the ps5 yet.

This error only happens when trying to play through Roku.  

Not sure if Roku updated between Monday and Wednesday that caused this, or what… but it’s happening and can’t figure out why… and neither can anyone here or seems lol.

Starting to wonder if it was a Roku update and it just broke it.  Nothing wrong with the server, permissions, or anything, just broken Roku code throwing this error.

On 11/5/2023 at 7:46 AM, jatobi said:

@Luke@softworkz

Any ideas on what I can try next?

You hadn't responded to my last message (pm). You can do publicly of course, now that you can post again.

On 11/7/2023 at 5:57 AM, softworkz said:

You hadn't responded to my last message (pm). You can do publicly of course, now that you can post again.

Sorry, I got busy at work and forgot about the PM.  I work long hours, usually leave the house by 5am and don't get home until after 8pm and go right to bed lol.

Here's that screenshot.

embyserver lsl.png

4 hours ago, softworkz said:

Thanks. Did you check the things I mentioned (getfacl etc.) in those folders already?

Yes, sorry.  I knew I was forgetting to attach something.

getfalc.png

cmd.png.8d220f61d5e51c0386331b6fba4a1660.png

On Synology you go SU (super user) by using:
sudo -i

at the command prompt which will require typing the password again as well as your username being an admin user.

You should then see your username change to root at the command prompt.

Once you do this go back and check what softworkz and Luke asked.

3 minutes ago, Carlo said:

On Synology you go SU (super user) by using:
sudo -i

at the command prompt which will require typing the password again as well as your username being an admin user.

You should then see your username change to root at the command prompt.

Once you do this go back and check what softworkz and Luke asked.

Here is another screenshot.

SELinux does not exist on this synology.  No matter how we run the command, it won't work if it doesn't exist.

And what Luke asked was already tried, per above comments, that causes immediate failure and requires you to delete the folder. 

see.png

Wanted to report this back:  I installed Emby on my computer.  Everything works fine.  No issues, no errors, episodes play just fine with subtitles burned in.

I check the logs, and I get the same error: Error SubtitleFontsManager: Error copying file Emby-Server\programdata\metadata\SubtitleFonts\Roboto-Medium.351704.ttf to Emby-Server\programdata\transcoding-temp\A91C99\A91C99_Fonts\Roboto-Medium.ttf.

So this is the same issue I'm supposedly having over on the Synology.  Only difference is that the server running on my PC runs the files just fine.  I'm playing through the Roku Emby app on my TV.

I'm beyond stumped now.

14 minutes ago, Luke said:

Are you able to try the 4.8 beta server?

Unfortunately no.  On my DS1515+ I'm at the latest build for DSM and that limits me to 4.7.14.0-704071400.  Currently at DSM 7.1.1-42962 update 6.

The beta apparently requires DSM 7.2+, every time I try to install it, it says it requires 7.2+.

Does this file exist on your system?
Emby-Server\programdata\metadata\SubtitleFonts\Roboto-Medium.351704.ttf

The beta versions cannot be installed on this synology.

And no, that does not exist, as stated previously.  None of the folders for emby have subtitlefonts\roboto-medium.351704.ttf.

Furthermore, this error happens when played on my desktop emby server installation, yet the subtitles work fine.  I don't really think this is an issue with the subtitle at this point.  Unless, of course, it's a Roku specific issue and as such probably cannot be easily corrected on my end.

notcompatible.png