Roku TV Stopped playing with subtitles

jatobi
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

I've been using Emby for a couple years now to watch my Anime and Movies on my Roku TV.  I've had some issues here and there but have always been able to resolve them by following the errors in the logs.  I am completely stumped right now.

As of Monday it was working. Nothing was changed, no app was updated.  Error has stayed the same. 

Line 7617: 2023-11-02 14:03:02.654 Error SubtitleFontsManager: Error copying file from /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/metadata/SubtitleFonts/Roboto-Medium.351704.ttf to /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/transcoding-temp/A965A7/A965A7_Fonts/Roboto-Medium.ttf

This is the only error I can find.  So I kept trying to fix it.  I uninstalled Emby, deleted the folder through File station, and reinstalled it. I added my folders and set permissions, scanned the media and attempted to play: Same issue.

I said okay, let's try Docker, installed the latest version, same issue.

So I updated to DSM 7.1, which is the latest I can use with my DS1515+. DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 6.  I followed the guide outlined here:

And yet the issue still persists.

To be clear:  Emby is working perfectly on my PC via Firefox, and my iphone 14 via Firefox.  Disabling subtitles allows the Roku TV app to play the files as well, but no subtitles.

I've tried with various episodes, ones I've watched previously with no issue, all result in this issue.

Attached are the emby and transcoding logs.  I sent a Roku log at 2:17pm EST under user Emby attempting to play the file attached in the log.

ffmpeg-transcode-d6eeee9f-9420-4382-aa0b-207f6f4a2f09_1.txt embyserver.txt

It is a permissions issue with the OS.

The error specifically says error copying:

from
/var/packages/EmbyServer/var/metadata/SubtitleFonts/Roboto-Medium.351704.ttf
to
/var/packages/EmbyServer/var/transcoding-temp/A965A7/A965A7_Fonts/Roboto-Medium.ttf

In order to do that the "emby" user must have access to these paths

/var/packages/EmbyServer/var/metadata/SubtitleFonts/
/var/packages/EmbyServer/var/transcoding-temp/

Edited by speechles

Just now, speechles said:

The error specifically says error copying these files to these paths.

/var/packages/EmbyServer/var/metadata/SubtitleFonts/Roboto-Medium.351704.ttf

/var/packages/EmbyServer/var/transcoding-temp/A965A7/A965A7_Fonts/Roboto-Medium.ttf

In order to do that the "emby" user must have access to these paths.

/var/packages/EmbyServer/var/transcoding-temp/

Exactly, and it has permissions to do so, which is why I have no idea why it's doing this.

Spoiler

2023-11-02 13:55:58.722 Info SubtitleFontsManager: ProcessRun 'SubtitleFontsManager' Execute: /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffmpeg -y -v quiet -dump_attachment:3 "/var/packages/EmbyServer/var/metadata/SubtitleFonts/Roboto-Medium.351704.ttf" -i "/volume1/Anime/The Eminence in Shadow/Season 2/[SubsPlease] Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! S2 - 04 (1080p) [DE5C1FAB].mkv"
2023-11-02 13:55:58.723 Debug SubtitleFontsManager: ProcessRun 'SubtitleFontsManager' Started.
2023-11-02 13:55:58.785 Info SubtitleFontsManager: ProcessRun 'SubtitleFontsManager' Process exited with code 1 - Failed
2023-11-02 13:55:58.792 Error SubtitleFontsManager: Error copying file from /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/metadata/SubtitleFonts/Roboto-Medium.351704.ttf to /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/transcoding-temp/4502E2/4502E2_Fonts/Roboto-Medium.ttf
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 4.7.14.0
    Command line: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/packages/EmbyServer/var -ffdetect /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffprobe -nolocalportconfig -ignore_vaapi_enabled_flag -pidfile /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/EmbyServer.pid -defaultdirectory /volume1/Public -updatepackage emby-server-synology7_{version}_x86_64.spk
    Operating system: Linux version 3.10.108 (root@build3) (gcc version 8.5.0 (GCC) ) #42962 SMP Mon May 29 14:36:28 CST 2023
    Framework: .NET 6.0.20
    OS/Process: x64/x64
    Runtime: volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
    Processor count: 4
    Data path: /var/packages/EmbyServer/var
    Application path: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system
    System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path '/var/packages/EmbyServer/var/metadata/SubtitleFonts/Roboto-Medium.351704.ttf'.
       at Interop.ThrowExceptionForIoErrno(ErrorInfo errorInfo, String path, Boolean isDirectory, Func`2 errorRewriter)
       at Interop.CheckIo(Error error, String path, Boolean isDirectory, Func`2 errorRewriter)
       at Microsoft.Win32.SafeHandles.SafeFileHandle.Open(String path, OpenFlags flags, Int32 mode)
       at Microsoft.Win32.SafeHandles.SafeFileHandle.Open(String fullPath, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, FileOptions options, Int64 preallocationSize)
       at System.IO.FileSystem.CopyFile(String sourceFullPath, String destFullPath, Boolean overwrite)
       at System.IO.File.Copy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.IO.ManagedFileSystem.CopyFile(String source, String target, Boolean overwrite)
       at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Subtitles.Fonts.SubtitleFontsManager.CreateTranscodingFontsDir(MediaSourceInfo mediaSource, String targetDir, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
    Source: System.Private.CoreLib
    TargetSite: Void ThrowExceptionForIoErrno(ErrorInfo, System.String, Boolean, System.Func`2[Interop+ErrorInfo,Interop+ErrorInfo])

Could not find a part of the path '/var/packages/EmbyServer/var/metadata/SubtitleFonts/Roboto-Medium.351704.ttf

This is the exact error in your logs. Did Emby install everything required? Does the SubtitleFonts directory exist in the path on your installation?

Edited by speechles

Just now, speechles said:
  Reveal hidden contents

2023-11-02 13:55:58.722 Info SubtitleFontsManager: ProcessRun 'SubtitleFontsManager' Execute: /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffmpeg -y -v quiet -dump_attachment:3 "/var/packages/EmbyServer/var/metadata/SubtitleFonts/Roboto-Medium.351704.ttf" -i "/volume1/Anime/The Eminence in Shadow/Season 2/[SubsPlease] Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! S2 - 04 (1080p) [DE5C1FAB].mkv"
2023-11-02 13:55:58.723 Debug SubtitleFontsManager: ProcessRun 'SubtitleFontsManager' Started.
2023-11-02 13:55:58.785 Info SubtitleFontsManager: ProcessRun 'SubtitleFontsManager' Process exited with code 1 - Failed
2023-11-02 13:55:58.792 Error SubtitleFontsManager: Error copying file from /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/metadata/SubtitleFonts/Roboto-Medium.351704.ttf to /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/transcoding-temp/4502E2/4502E2_Fonts/Roboto-Medium.ttf
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 4.7.14.0
    Command line: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/packages/EmbyServer/var -ffdetect /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffprobe -nolocalportconfig -ignore_vaapi_enabled_flag -pidfile /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/EmbyServer.pid -defaultdirectory /volume1/Public -updatepackage emby-server-synology7_{version}_x86_64.spk
    Operating system: Linux version 3.10.108 (root@build3) (gcc version 8.5.0 (GCC) ) #42962 SMP Mon May 29 14:36:28 CST 2023
    Framework: .NET 6.0.20
    OS/Process: x64/x64
    Runtime: volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
    Processor count: 4
    Data path: /var/packages/EmbyServer/var
    Application path: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system
    System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path '/var/packages/EmbyServer/var/metadata/SubtitleFonts/Roboto-Medium.351704.ttf'.
       at Interop.ThrowExceptionForIoErrno(ErrorInfo errorInfo, String path, Boolean isDirectory, Func`2 errorRewriter)
       at Interop.CheckIo(Error error, String path, Boolean isDirectory, Func`2 errorRewriter)
       at Microsoft.Win32.SafeHandles.SafeFileHandle.Open(String path, OpenFlags flags, Int32 mode)
       at Microsoft.Win32.SafeHandles.SafeFileHandle.Open(String fullPath, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, FileOptions options, Int64 preallocationSize)
       at System.IO.FileSystem.CopyFile(String sourceFullPath, String destFullPath, Boolean overwrite)
       at System.IO.File.Copy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.IO.ManagedFileSystem.CopyFile(String source, String target, Boolean overwrite)
       at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Subtitles.Fonts.SubtitleFontsManager.CreateTranscodingFontsDir(MediaSourceInfo mediaSource, String targetDir, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
    Source: System.Private.CoreLib
    TargetSite: Void ThrowExceptionForIoErrno(ErrorInfo, System.String, Boolean, System.Func`2[Interop+ErrorInfo,Interop+ErrorInfo])

Could not find a part of the path '/var/packages/EmbyServer/var/metadata/SubtitleFonts/Roboto-Medium.351704.ttf

This is the exact error in your logs. Did Emby install everything required? Does the SubtitleFonts directory exist in the path on your installation?

The folder does not exist.  And if you create it, the file immediately throws the error that no streams are found and just repeats.  Deleting the folder again lets the file start, but it goes from 0-99% then errors and wont load.

Emby has to be installed correctly.  It works everywhere but Roku.  I've uninstalled it 5 times now, deleting every reference to emby through winscp, and reinstalled it.  Permissions are open to allow the user to work properly, and yet it still does this. 

It really makes no sense to me.  Everything worked fine Monday, and now suddenly its borked.  I just uninstalled Emby and deleted everything again, going to run the commands again from the migration thread to see if that makes any difference.

And it did nothing.  Still the same error:

Line 23442: 2023-11-02 17:12:29.519 Error SubtitleFontsManager: Error copying file from /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/metadata/SubtitleFonts/Roboto-Medium.351704.ttf to /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/transcoding-temp/A252D2/A252D2_Fonts/Roboto-Medium.ttf

So what am I missing? 

Attached is my shared folder and users.  I cannot add an Emby user because it says it already exists.  DSM7 is a bit different, I remember seeing an Emby user and an Emby folder in the shared folders before I upgraded to DSM7.  Is there another setting I need to enable somewhere to see more settings to fix this somehow?

Per attached images above, permissions are set, this is completely stupid.

emby.png

So I made a custom temporary transcode folder for this to test.  The folder is within the Anime folder that is already correctly set with permissions for Emby to view/edit.  And yet...the error still exists??  Why?  If it has read/write to this folder, this should not be an issue.

Line 36172: 2023-11-02 17:34:19.640 Error SubtitleFontsManager: Error copying file from /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/metadata/SubtitleFonts/Roboto-Medium.351704.ttf to /volume1/Anime/transcode/transcoding-temp/BED202/BED202_Fonts/Roboto-Medium.ttf
	Line 36173: 	*** Error Report ***

embytf.png

Update:

I don't know what's going on.  I installed Emby on my PC, Windows 10, and mounted the share drive from synology and it works flawlessly on my Roku TV.

I think there's something wrong with the Synology Emby app.  I even tried in Docker and it won't work.  It just throws this error about the font. 

I really didn't want to run this on my PC but I guess I don't have a choice now.  Something got screwed up, and no amount of nuking and starting fresh seems to help.

I changed from Plex to Emby because of this very issue.  May have to switch back.

Edited by jatobi

I just uninstalled Emby and restarted the synology.  I booted back up and reinstalled Emby.

I clicked on the file to play and it played for a split second with the correct subtitles, then went straight back to the buffer screen and nothing more.

This is bizarre

The log file is full of file access errors and ffmpeg cannot write output either:

image.png.406a5a05732a9f183e98316b25b52882.png

The error could also indicate a permissions error, or the subfolder under transcoding-temp didn't get created - in that case it would also be due to a permissions error.

That's all I can say from my side as I'm not familiar without our Synology packages.

Did you check the permissions recursively? sometimes something underneath can have it's own overridden permissions.

11 minutes ago, Luke said:

Did you check the permissions recursively? sometimes something underneath can have it's own overridden permissions.

Yes, I set it recursively, and just double checked by doing it again.

I just don't understand.  This is clearly a permissions issue, yet the permissions are set.  I have it wide open for testing.  I set it to 777 just for testing on emby and root. Nothing works.

If you need proof, tell me how to provide it and I will.  This stuff is set, and it should just work.  I don't have any of the emby folders locked down at all.  The media folder and temp-transcode folder are all set to the emby account and read/write like you're supposed to in DSM7.  The others are set using winscp to 777 full open.

Edited by jatobi

6 minutes ago, Luke said:

And you're saying you left plex due to a similar permissions issue? 

Few years ago it had issues with transcoding subtitles.  I got tired of it and a friend sent me to Emby. 

Emby worked flawlessly, and has worked flawlessly.  I just don't know what happened.  I changed nothing from Monday to Yesterday,  have been sick with the flu and pneumonia.  I watched one of my shows Monday, and I had another episode populate so I wanted to watch it last night which brought this about. 

So nothing changed between Monday and Wednesday, and for some reason on Wednesday none of the Anime will run with subtitles on and this is the error it gave.  Which made me think maybe I could fix it by upgrading to DSM7 to get a newer version of Emby.  Well that obviously didn't work.

It should be noted that this happens on every single Anime episode I own.  None work with subtitles now.  Only when they are disabled will it play.  I can't even use the integrated subtitles.  If I turn off burn-in SSA and select the subtitle track nothing appears. 

----

I installed Emby on my Win 10 machine, and the subtitles play with no issues at all.  I have no problems.  But on the Synology I do. 

It has to be a Roku - Synology Emby conflict somehow.  iPhone Firefox and Win10 Firefox both work flawlessly.

Again, if I can provide you with some proof on what my permissions are, or what you need me to check, tell me how.  I'm at my wits ends.  I've been screwing with this all day and can't fix it.

I'll be at work all day tomorrow and won't be home until around 8pm EST.

Edited by jatobi

Does the Synology have SELinux enabled? This is an additional layer and can block access even when the file permissions are ok.

4 minutes ago, softworkz said:

Does the Synology have SELinux enabled? This is an additional layer and can block access even when the file permissions are ok.

I don't think so, I can't find any settings related to it.

How did you set permissions?

You could  try to make the emby user the owner of the file tree (chown -R emby:emby <directory>).

Also run 'top' or similar to confirm the user account under which emby server is running.

2 minutes ago, softworkz said:

How did you set permissions?

You could  try to make the emby user the owner of the file tree (chown -R emby:emby <directory>).

Also run 'top' or similar to confirm the user account under which emby server is running.

I did the chown -r emby:emby command on all of embys folders and the temp folder I made for the transcoding through putty.

I set permissions via the GUI and went into the folders with winscp and made them 777.

Therefore the folders are all owned by emby, users set to emby, and the permissions are 777...

Something is blocking it from working though.  Something is saying screw what permissions you set.

Just now, softworkz said:

Also check the file and directory permissions here:

There is no SubtitleFonts/ directory.

It doesn't get created. 

Yes the /EmbyServer/ and all folders within it are owned emby:emby and 777.

I tried to make that folder manually and place the file it was trying to move into it.  Causes emby to fail immediately upon pressing play.  Deleting the file same result.  I have to then delete the /SubtitleFonts/ folder I manually made in order for emby to attempt to play the file again (which never does and just errors).  It will load, 0%, 33%, 60%, 99%, 33% then error.  Constantly over and over with the error being this error we're encountering above.

8 minutes ago, softworkz said:

Just for being sure..

4 minutes ago, jatobi said:

Something is saying screw what permissions you set.

SELinux is such kind of beast...

10 minutes ago, softworkz said:

Just for being sure..

SELinux is such kind of beast...

I don''t see SELinux anywhere in here.  I don't think it's part of the DSM7, at least not for the DS1515+ as I can get no settings through putty to even work to verify it's enabled or not.

Also I'm rusty on using putty, and don't know how to utilize 'top' better...so might want to give me any variables to narrow it down.

top.png

nofolder.png

top2.png

Edited by jatobi