Preferred audio selection across stacked media

joshinils

joshinils

Let's say I prefer English sound, and have two files for the same episode, one with German sound (episode name - de.mkv) and one with English (episode name - en.mkv).
Lexicographically the "de" comes before "en", so Emby automatically chooses the first one to play, but it does not have any audio track with my preferred audio language, however another file does.

I'd like for it to choose the preferred language first, then by lexicographical sorting.

The problem is, that the English version does not contain the same content that the German one has, so it is impossible for me to merge one video with both audio at the same time.

joshinils

I also noticed, it doesn't remember which version I was watching, just the time to skip forward to.

So when I watch the second stacked file, stop, and resume, I end up somewhere in the first media file.

GrimReaper
1 hour ago, joshinils said:

I also noticed, it doesn't remember which version I was watching, just the time to skip forward to.

So when I watch the second stacked file, stop, and resume, I end up somewhere in the first media file.

That's the caveat of using multi-versioning for different cuts (something that feature was originally not intended for), you're bound to occasionally stumble upon a hurdle. As far as Emby is concerned, that is the same item, Emby doesn't discern between 'versions' for tracking purposes. 

1 hour ago, joshinils said:

I prefer English sound, and have two files for the same episode, one with German sound (episode name - de.mkv) and one with English (episode name - en.mkv).
Lexicographically the "de" comes before "en", so Emby automatically chooses the first one to play, but it does not have any audio track with my preferred audio language, however another file does.

That wouldn't be correct, version to be played is not alphabetically first version but the one that would play most efficiently on selected client app; so you might see "en" version preselected on some client apps, while "de" version preselected on others. And no, currently you cannot select default version to be played.