Organisation of albums with multiple genres

geomusicmaker

geomusicmaker

Hello all,

Disclaimer: This may be very specific to the way I have tagged my music.

In my library, I differentiate between "film score" and "film soundtrack" in my genre metadata as a way of avoiding songs if I just want to hear the instrumental score. This means with releases that have a title song performed by an artist and the remainder of the album being instrumental, they'd be tagged respectively, soundtrack and score within the same album. It's worked great for me so far on various platforms like MusicBee and Plex but I've noticed Emby simplifies how it displays releases by genre.

On Emby, if an album has both genre tags in it (caused by perhaps only one song being "film soundtrack") then the entire album appears in both genres.

Request: Would it be possible for only the songs on the album with that specific genre tag to appear under that genre in the genre filter view? So it's filtering at a song level rather than an album one?

Let me know if that needs explaining differently! I appreciate its quite a niche request. Look forward to your thoughts.

HI, that is already possible if you go to the Songs tab of your music library and filter by genre, right?

geomusicmaker

I suppose that is correct but it does mean I'm viewing every track individually rather than just the albums. The latter would be a far easier navigation experience which I assume is why it's the default for the Genre tab view.

Showing only the relevant tracks once I've gone into an album in the Genre tab still feels like it'd be cleaner and more efficient. I appreciate it's probably a lot of effort to implement for such a niche request.

Yes this idea has come up before where after clicking a genre, some would prefer to see artists or songs instead of albums. So more options there are certainly possible.