IPTV playback stable with Threadfin and hls-proxy

bruor

I've spent months evolving my Emby setup to a state where it is able to reliably play live TV streams from an IPTV provider.  Sharing my findings here to help the community and gather feedback in case I can make things even better in the future.  Up until I added hls-proxy to the mix I was attempting to use Threadfin as a buffer.  It helped stabilize things slightly but issues were still present.  Emby clients would randomly seem to drop their channel streams and fall back to the previous screen in the app, it was more prevalent with remote clients than with local, but all clients (web/android/roku) experienced the issues. Clients have no playback issues with local, or remote episode/movie media files.  

The IPTV service provider I use allows 5 concurrent connections to their service.  However, I have noticed that I cannot rely on Emby to enforce this limit.  If I set "simultaneous stream limit" to 5 in Emby it will eventually end up in a state where no channels can be played even though there are no active streams (verified by looking at the status page of hls-proxy).  I don't know why this happens and I can't seem to correlate it to anything specific.  After adding hls-proxy to my setup, I will sometimes see Emby make a secondary connection to the same stream even though a second user has not tuned to that channel, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the problem.  The workaround I've put in place for this is to set the "maxStreamsPerClientDefault" in hls-proxy to 5, and set "simultaneous stream limit" on the TV source in Emby to 0.  I've also configured a cron job to restart my Emby server early each morning to clear out any stuck tuners that might exist. 

When I set up hls-proxy I noticed a couple things.  My provider publishes 5 .ts files in the m3u playlist for a channel. If Emby is able to see a list of 5 .ts files, it will read them but start playback in the client at what I believe is the 3rd or 4th file in the list.  This means that Emby is only leaving a 1 or 2 file buffer between the playback position in the client and the stream coming from the provider.  If the provider experiences a delay in publishing the latest .ts files for the stream to their servers/CDN, the client will overrun the buffer and this may be why the client stops playback at seemingly random times.  I was able to configure hls-proxy to show Emby only 2 of the 5 files at the start of playback which seems to start the client playback at file 1 when starting a stream.  When it requests the playlist a 2nd time from hls-proxy the first 2, and next 3 pieces are in the playlist for Emby to fetch. At this point hls-proxy already has another 2-3 .ts files in the buffer that haven't been advertised to Emby yet, so not only does the client have a bit of a buffer to work with inside the Emby server, the Emby server has a 2-3 segment buffer in hls-proxy that it can draw from in the event that hls-proxy needs to retry fetching the stream due to a publishing delay or a temporary error on the server side.  The only time a stream drops now if if hls-proxy encounters a provider side error that it can't overcome in a reasonable amount of time.  Since Emby is still communicating with hls-proxy when this happens, the stream will freeze, and can recover if hls-proxy is able to retry the connection and fetch files before the retry limits or timeouts are consumed. 

Some notes on how I'm using these apps.  I've tested hls-proxy both in front of, and behind Threadfin with the same result on Linux and Windows. 
Threadfin - used currently with the buffer disabled so the m3u URLs from the provider are passed to the client.  I use it strictly to groom/curate the incoming M3U/XMLTV links from the provider.

hls-proxy - Used as a debugging platform and a buffer in-between Emby and the provider.  This allows me to get a peek at what is happening between the provider and the Emby server.  If there are any errors from the provider side I can see it in the logs.  You can view streams directly in their web interface. It also has options available to aggregate provider accounts based on the syntax of the URLs they use to serve content.  If you have many single line accounts with the same provider hls-proxy can aggregate them into a pooled resource. 

• Thanks 5

Nostradamus1973

Good morning,

Threadfin user here looking to switch to HLS PRoxy.

With HLS Proxy I'm having some trouble with emby, I can view the m3u8 from looking at the raw link, it is also in the correct format as I'm able to import it into IPTVeditor and view/edit without any errors, and view links with VLC. So, here's my problem, when emby goes to load the m3u8, the progress bar flashes for a brief second(getting to approximately10%) and nothing, the channels sections shows nothing at all.

@bruorCould you point me to a resource regarding your Emby setup? Or, if anyone has experienced this, I'd love to hear how they solved this.

Thank you and have a nice day.

EDIT: I dumped the Docker Version and went with the baremetal version and it's working.

Edited by Nostradamus1973
Update

jonaswerner

@bruorMany thanks for your helpful information. 
I am currently testing StreamMaster (SenexCrenshaw/StreamMaster (github.com))  as an alternative to threadfin/xteve and hls-proxy. Very successful so far😀. Similar to hls-proxy, you can also see the current status of the connections. Docker containers are also available. 

Possibly also an alternative

• Thanks 1

Checked it out, seems like a fantastic replacement for xteve/threadfin.   I'll have to test it's buffer to see how well it works in a real world scenario.  It doesn't look like there is any visibility into how the buffer works under the hood, and no options to tune it if you need to get advanced.

Edited by bruor

jonaswerner

So far, I'm excited about StreamMaster.  Xteve has more features but StreamMaster is for my use case the better solution. 

The only thing missing for my use case so far is extended filter rules with include and exclude like it is possible with xteve (https://github.com/xteve-project/xTeVe-Documentation/blob/master/en/configuration.md#custom-filter). 

@bruorI'm looking forward to seeing your test results 

• 2 weeks later...
codechurn

@bruorThanks for sharing this information and starting this thread.

I have been fighting with xTeve for a while. I run xTeve as a service via nssm on a virtual machine as a streaming proxy with buffering. I've tried both the internal xTeve buffer, vlc and ffmpeg options with xTeve. All of the buffered options seem to work "ok", with some occasional drops when there is only one Emby client (ie a Roku tv) watching a channel. As soon as I start watching another channel on another client (like an Android phone) at the same time both streams crap out in a couple of seconds, If I disable buffering in xTeve and send the direct url to the Emby clients, everything works just fine. 

I'd give Streamaster a try, but it's only available as a containerized deployment.

@codechurnyou'll have to run a quick test to see if your provider is serving up HLS.  If not stream master might be a better option.  I got it running on windows using docker desktop without much fuss.  The only thing I had to fight with a little was the storage mapping configuration so that the configs were actually written to the windows filesystem somewhere.   Streammaster did seem to perform pretty well as a buffer and channel manager in testing but I found it had some issues when I tried to add additional playlists and select channels across more than one source, it would throw a weird error.  Also had weird glitches where saving a setting wouldn't be reflected in the UI unless I did a hard refresh. Will probably revisit it in the future to see how it develops over time. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
Kimballslice1890
On 10/25/2023 at 12:18 AM, bruor said:

When I set up hls-proxy I noticed a couple things.  My provider publishes 5 .ts files in the m3u playlist for a channel. If Emby is able to see a list of 5 .ts files, it will read them but start playback in the client at what I believe is the 3rd or 4th file in the list.  This means that Emby is only leaving a 1 or 2 file buffer between the playback position in the client and the stream coming from the provider.  If the provider experiences a delay in publishing the latest .ts files for the stream to their servers/CDN, the client will overrun the buffer and this may be why the client stops playback at seemingly random times.  I was able to configure hls-proxy to show Emby only 2 of the 5 files at the start of playback which seems to start the client playback at file 1 when starting a stream.  When it requests the playlist a 2nd time from hls-proxy the first 2, and next 3 pieces are in the playlist for Emby to fetch. At this point hls-proxy already has another 2-3 .ts files in the buffer that haven't been advertised to Emby yet, so not only does the client have a bit of a buffer to work with inside the Emby server, the Emby server has a 2-3 segment buffer in hls-proxy that it can draw from in the event that hls-proxy needs to retry fetching the stream due to a publishing delay or a temporary error on the server side.  The only time a stream drops now if if hls-proxy encounters a provider side error that it can't overcome in a reasonable amount of time.  Since Emby is still communicating with hls-proxy when this happens, the stream will freeze, and can recover if hls-proxy is able to retry the connection and fetch files before the retry limits or timeouts are consumed.

I came across this post and reworked my setup to be similar and the stability improvements have been amazing. 

Can you give some more details as to where in HLS proxy you were able to configure temporarily withholding the segments from emby? I run into this sometimes where emby only leaves a 1 segment buffer and can cause stutters. 

bruor

The parameter you're looking for in hls-proxy is called fastStartChunks and I set it to 2.

Also, I've since learned that threadfin is a pain if you have a provider that changes the channel lineup slightly from time to time because you have to manually check and enable new channels to fix the playlist. 

I learned that there was an enhanced fork of xteve by SenexCrenshaw on GitHub, and was going to use it as a replacement, but then noticed Senex is working on a new project called streammaster which I have up and running and it seems like an even better option to move forward with. 

• Like 1

Kimballslice1890

awesome thanks! I have it setup with provider-->Threadfin-->HLS-Proxy-->Emby. So threadfin connects to the iptv provider, managing the M3U and EPG. I setup filters for channels i want and manually remapped important channels for me and then pass through the M3U to HLS proxy. Point Emby to HLS Proxy for the M3U and to threadfin for the EPG. I'll take another look at streammaster. I had issues with it running it as a threadfin alternative acting as the buffer, but this was before I came across your post and put HLS Proxy into the mix.

bruor

I put HLS-proxy on the edge because I use it to merge IPTV accounts.   Using streammaster with buffer also didn't do much for me, I'm using it just as a playlist/guide manager now.