Dolby Vision support on SDR TVs

Freddy

Hi All, I am just checking in to see if any progress has been made on playing Dolby Vision on SDR TV's.  It seems like my original request has fell off the dev's radar so here is a link.  I am re-requesting this feature as I have guests that are using the 1080p TV and when they went to watch Ahsoka it was all greenish.  So I told them to use Jellyfin and it displays the dolby vision "correctly". I am not sure I understand why Emby has not implemented this yet??  Jellyfin and Plex (w/ pass) I would have thought that Emby Premier would have this feature. Is it possible I was not running Premier? 

Also, in the the thread posted below people were saying that it is not practical or easy to implement, so I will post this snippet from the post -  "Is there a way to get Emby to use the Jellyfin FFMPEG?"   FFMPEG is open source so I am sure that JellyFin has the source available

Thank you! I will keep checking back in until the 'ole 1080p is thrown away!  

rbjtech

I think there may be some legal implications with Dolby on reverse engineering their DV5 colour space profile - it's fine for JF as they are anonymously open source - but for emby, I'm sure they do not want any questions being asked.

The simplest solution is to not use proprietary Dolby Vision (DV5) files - use DV files with HDR10 fallback (ie DV8) - then emby will tonemap those files to SDR without issues, play native HDR10 for those with HDR TV's and play Dolby Vision for those with DV capable TV's - ie the best of all formats.

• Agree 1

OK Thanks! That makes sense! Dolby wants their Dolby tax paid and I dont think there is any margin left in MB Premier to pay the Dolby tax! Samsung refused which is good in principal so their TVs dont display Dolby Vision and I am sure they know how to decode that stream...  Lawyers, patents, and forever copyrights! 

GrimReaper

Why didn't you just post in the topic you linked to, it's literally same FR - tonemap DV5 - instead of creating a duplicate? 

And if you want a discussion, there are different subforums for such purpose. 

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/forum/53-generalwindows/

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/forum/15-non-emby-general-discussion/