No sound when playing movies with MP2 or AC3 audio

timster67

timster67

Originally posted in the QNAP server forum (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/122200-newbie-question-no-sound-when-playing-movies-with-mp2-or-ac3-audio/) but reposted here as it seems to be an app issue.

When I select a movie that has either an MP2 or AC3 5.1 audio track, I get no sound at all, either on the TV or if ARC'd to my receiver.

Samsung model number: UE40H6400
Samsung firmware version:  2910 (T-MST14DEUC-2910.0, BT - S/G)
Sub-micon Version: T-MST14DEUS-1008
Smart Hub apps version: 6.1741
Samsung Emby client version: 0.122 (dated 4th October 2023)
Emby server version: 4.7.14.0 (QNAP)

Before I turned logging on, I tried playing AC3 5.1 and mp2 audio track files again on the TV and it worked for the first time BUT it had subtitles. I realised I had subtitle mode set to default, so turned it to "forced only" . I tried playing again three times, each had no sound, combination of: after playing on the PC, restarting Emby on the TV, turning the TV off and on again - no luck. Turned subtitle to Default again - no luck.

Attached logs: There are three transcodes for the Samsung and server logs - the (1)'s are later (after turning logging on) and the (2)'s are after changing subtitle mode - I assume they contain everything as they are continuous logs. There is one transcode log for when I played the file on the PC.

Media Info also attached.

Media Info.JPG

embyserver (2).txt ffmpeg-transcode-16eada62-894d-455b-892b-dc5c799b8130_1.txt embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-9521a0c8-9d72-439f-b948-f65ac97eb720_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-16eada62-894d-455b-892b-dc5c799b8130_1 (1).txt embyserver (1).txt ffmpeg-transcode-16eada62-894d-455b-892b-dc5c799b8130_1 (2).txt

4 hours ago, timster67 said:

Samsung model number: UE40H6400
Samsung firmware version:  2910 (T-MST14DEUC-2910.0, BT - S/G)
Sub-micon Version: T-MST14DEUS-1008
Smart Hub apps version: 6.1741
Samsung Emby client version: 0.122 (dated 4th October 2023)
Emby server version: 4.7.14.0 (QNAP)

This is the very old Orsay app which is no longer being maintained.  I think at this stage it's unlikely that this will be resolved, and I suspect with upcoming server releases you will probably find more issues with this old version.

timster67
1 hour ago, SamES said:

This is the very old Orsay app which is no longer being maintained.  I think at this stage it's unlikely that this will be resolved, and I suspect with upcoming server releases you will probably find more issues with this old version.

Darn. I feared as much, need a new TV then. It's barely 10 years old but these days that's positively ancient :(

I'll have a look but what are the chances Emby could be integrated into my NAS (QNAP) direct HDMI output?

The other option is to buy an nVidia Shield Pro.  Cheaper than a new TV, and even when you do buy a new TV this will give you better support for ATMOS and other formats than the TV will.

timster67

The thing is I want to be able to play my movies on more than one TV. A streamer as you suggest can only play to one.

I have looked into Emby Theater but that doesn't work either. Probably more to do with QNAP HD Station being a bit "ropey" to say the least. I notice there are no forums or downloads for Theater here - is it also no longer supported or is it a third party developer?

3 hours ago, timster67 said:

The thing is I want to be able to play my movies on more than one TV. A streamer as you suggest can only play to one.

I'm not quite sure what you mean.  You still use you QNAP as a server, the nVidia Shield Connects to the TV via HDMI and is just a player instead of using an app on the TV as a player

timster67
2 hours ago, SamES said:

I'm not quite sure what you mean.  You still use you QNAP as a server, the nVidia Shield Connects to the TV via HDMI and is just a player instead of using an app on the TV as a player

Yes but there are times I'm upstairs and on a whim fancy maybe watching something. Don't want to go downstairs, unplug a streamer from the other TV, trudge back upstairs, and plug it into the upstairs one. And vice versa.

But if it comes to it I may do as you suggest for the main viewing and use the TV app for anything else it can deal with (upstairs has no surround anyway so normal AAC should be fine).

timster67
8 hours ago, SamES said:

So do you have more that one H series TV?

The other is a T series but of the same vintage and exactly the same Smart Hub and apps versions as the H. AFAIK they are both pre-Android OS. I think all newer Samsungs run Android.

1 hour ago, timster67 said:

The other is a T series but of the same vintage and exactly the same Smart Hub and apps versions as the H. AFAIK they are both pre-Android OS. I think all newer Samsungs run Android.

They're actually Tizen, not Android.  What's the full model number for the T-series?

timster67

LT27D390S

But like I said that one is not so much used for movies and the emby app works well enough for most, and I'm not bothered so much as for my main one which I do use with my surround system.

Up to you, but a Shield Pro on the UE40H6400 would keep you going if you plan to keep it going for a few more years, and even when you do replace it, generally it will have a broader range of video, audio and subtitle support than any new TV that you buy (for example if you want things like ATMOS, DTS and other features)

timster67

I do like DTS. 👍 

Thanks for the advice. It'll have to wait till next month or even Christmas tho, £190 odd ain't chicken feed at the mo