Newbie question - no sound when playing movies with MP2 or AC3 audio

timster67

timster67

Running Emby on a QNAP NAS, 4.7.14.0, and using the app on my Samsung TV (UE40H6400 - no idea what app version but downloaded this week).

When I select a movie that has either an MP2 or AC3 5.1 audio track, I get no sound at all, either on the TV or if ARC'd to my receiver. Any ideas?

Also my NAS has an HMDI out to my receiver. Is it possible to utilise this instead of the network in Emby?

Thanks

When I select a movie that has either an MP2 or AC3 5.1 audio track, I get no sound at all, either on the TV or if ARC'd to my receiver. Any ideas?

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

Also my NAS has an HMDI out to my receiver. Is it possible to utilise this instead of the network in Emby?

What Emby app would you be playing with? It's the app will be playing the sound, not the server.

timster67
12 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

Emby app on the TV (Samsung) is version 0.122. Unfortunately the TV does not have logs so that's all the info I can give you on that.

You are right it seems to be the TV app that's the problem as I have played those files on my PC with no issues (other than buffering but that's for later). I wonder though whether it's the transcoding/downmixing? Could be the TV can't play those formats but Emby server is not transcoding as it should?

Note after writing the above: Before I turned logging on, I tried playing AC3 5.1 and mp2 audio track files again on the TV and it worked for the first time BUT it had subtitles. I realised I had subtitle mode set to default, so turned it to "forced only" . I tried playing again three times, each had no sound, combination of: after playing on the PC, restarting Emby on the TV, turning the TV off and on again - no luck. Turned subtitle to Default again - no luck.

Attached logs:. There are three transcodes for the Samsung and server logs - the (1)'s are later (after turning logging) and the (2)'s are after changing subtitle mode - I assume they contain everything as they are continuous logs. There is one transcode log for when I played the file on the PC.

Hope it helps!

embyserver (1).txt ffmpeg-transcode-16eada62-894d-455b-892b-dc5c799b8130_1.txt embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-9521a0c8-9d72-439f-b948-f65ac97eb720_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-16eada62-894d-455b-892b-dc5c799b8130_1 (1).txt embyserver (2).txt ffmpeg-transcode-16eada62-894d-455b-892b-dc5c799b8130_1 (2).txt

timster67
13 hours ago, Luke said:

What Emby app would you be playing with? It's the app will be playing the sound, not the server.

Yes it's the app. I was asking of it was possible for Emby to output to the HDMI rather than network.

9 hours ago, timster67 said:

Yes it's the app. I was asking of it was possible for Emby to output to the HDMI rather than network.

Hi, it doesn't output over the network, but it plays on the device that you're playing from, using the audio output of that device. 

So if you want to output to HDMI, then the playing device should have it's audio outputting to hdmi. Does that help?

timster67
13 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, it doesn't output over the network, but it plays on the device that you're playing from, using the audio output of that device. 

So if you want to output to HDMI, then the playing device should have it's audio outputting to hdmi. Does that help?

You're misunderstanding. The HDMI question is separate from the issue with sound on playback using the TV app as it would not be using the app! This is obviously causing confusion so ignore that question (Emby server can't output to the HDMI anyway).

As it stands the app on my TV is not behaving as it should wrt audio. Not sure if the logs have shed any light?