New Install questions: Windows, FireStick, Android.

PeterMorris
Go to solution Solved by GrimReaper,

PeterMorris
17 hours ago, Luke said:

Thanks for confirming. Are you happy continuing to use the standard app?

Not sure yet. I haven't had time to mess with it yet. 8-)

• Thanks 1

On 10/26/2023 at 2:32 AM, Luke said:

I am a recent new user of Emby (moving from Plex) and have subscribed to service with Emby Premier.

I sideloaded the Emby for Android app (3.x version) and noticed that the app functions so much faster and smoother as compared to the native Amazon app on my FireStick Max. My biggest challenge though - is none of my server content plays (with the limit exceeded error message).

I can confirm, I did purchase the Unlock app from Amazon (with the native Amazon Emby App) - but I understand that installing the Android app (side-loading) might be conflicting with a different store? (Play Store?).

Question is: How do I get the beautiful Android App unlock on my FireStick TV. Clearly that app is so much better than the native Amazon app.

Edited by dejawu

pwhodges

If your server has a Premiere key installed, then no additional unlocks are needed for any client.  Have you actually installed the key you were sent when you subscribed?

Paul

7 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

If your server has a Premiere key installed, then no additional unlocks are needed for any client.  Have you actually installed the key you were sent when you subscribed?

Paul

Paul, someone else owns the server and I simply subscribed to that server. I am only installing the client on my end to connect to that server.  You are saying, that I should be asking for the key?  Also where does the key go in this case on my Amazon FireStick?

pwhodges

Premiere is a feature of a server - only someone running a server should have it.  If you are paying for Premiere without running a server, you are wasting your money, as there is nothing you gain by it.

As for the Android client - you cannot use the one that is not (yet) in the store unless the server has Premiere - as it's not in the store, there is no way to purchase an individual unlock for it.

Paul

14 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

Premiere is a feature of a server - only someone running a server should have it.  If you are paying for Premiere without running a server, you are wasting your money, as there is nothing you gain by it.

As for the Android client - you cannot use the one that is not (yet) in the store unless the server has Premiere - as it's not in the store, there is no way to purchase an individual unlock for it.

Paul

Thanks, Paul.

Yes so here is what has happened. The server definitely has premier, but we all possibly hit the limit.

When I download and install emby client from the Amazon app store - I was prompted to get a Unlock to get rid of the limit exceeded message - which I did and got everything working. The only issue I have is the Emby Amazon app is really not that great. Functional, but not great - few issues around DTS-HD passthru and other audio related challenges.

When I did sideload the Android version though, on my FireStick TV - the app functions much better than the Amazon app. And this is where I hit the issue of things being unplayable.

My question was more about, how do I get it to play. Looks like you are confirming, that if the Android client is not available - I cannot do it?

I wish Emby just replaces the Amazon app with the Android app on Amazon app store! Just works so beautifully well!

• Thanks 1

When I did sideload the Android version though, on my FireStick TV - the app functions much better than the Amazon app.

Hi, we are working on getting it into the store for TV devices, so stay tuned for that.

• Like 1

pwhodges
1 hour ago, dejawu said:

The server definitely has premier, but we all possibly hit the limit.

The limit is the number of devices using Premiere facilities within the past week.  Devices in the list which don't use any Premiere facility for a week fall off the list, and another device can then use that slot (unfortunately the current list of devices is not visible to users or even server administrators).  Alternatively, there is another tier of Premiere subscription which allows more devices (45 instead of 25), but it costs more, of course.

Paul

blgentry
On 10/14/2023 at 11:11 AM, PeterMorris said:

My wireless router informs me that all locations in my mesh are excellent every time I check, which is when I experience lag and stuttering,  or even on-screen complaints from the devices that the WiFi connection is lost.

If you have devices tell you that they are not connected to Wifi, they probably are not connected to wifi.  This might indicate poor coverage.  It might indicate some kind of compatibility issue.  It sounds like at least some of your issue is that your network connection is not stable.  

When I first set up my new TV system streaming was pretty good.  But watching videos from my server, which have much larger, higher bandwidth videos, was not great.  Fast forwarding was kind of slow to respond.  I would periodically get a spinning circle and the video would stop and re-buffer.  It thought my wifi connection was pretty strong.  But it wasn't good enough for big files from my server.

So I did a small project to run wired ethernet into my AV rack.  Then I did my tests again.  Everything is now rock solid.  No buffering.  No slowness.  It just works as expected.  If you have the ability to run ethernet from your TV to your router (or other wired ethernet point), you might see a difference.  A test might be a long cable on the floor for 30 minutes while you see if it your connection seems better.  It might make no difference. Or it might fix everything. 

Best of luck,

Brian.

PeterMorris
On 10/25/2023 at 11:32 PM, Luke said:

I've managed to confuse myself. I do not know how I saw that Emby would run as an Android app on the TV because it does not appear to be installed, and when I try to install it, it fails to  connect to the server.

22 hours ago, PeterMorris said:

I've managed to confuse myself. I do not know how I saw that Emby would run as an Android app on the TV because it does not appear to be installed, and when I try to install it, it fails to  connect to the server.

@PeterMorrishow did you try to install it? What exactly does the error message say?