New Install questions: Windows, FireStick, Android.

PeterMorris
Go to solution Solved by GrimReaper,

PeterMorris

Reasonably easy installations. The Android install worked and plays; 2 of my 3 firesticks installed and play. However, the 3rd stick installed, shows my library, but when I click on a media file, it thinks about it and then dumps me back to the play screen. Initially as soon as I clicked play a widow came up telling something about a trial period. After a number of experiences of failing to get any files to play, I followed the ad regarding the trial period and was given the impression that on THAT tv it wasn't going to run unless I paid up ($4.89). I paid, but it did not change the outcome. Each time i select play on any file, the rolling wheel appears for about 30 seconds then returns me to the "play" screen. Can someone explain what's going on? Is the non-premier account limited to a certain number of clients? And if so, what did my $4.89 pay for?

TIA

Hello PeterMorris,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

• Solution
GrimReaper
7 hours ago, PeterMorris said:

2 of my 3 firesticks installed and play. However, the 3rd stick installed, shows my library, but when I click on a media file, it thinks about it and then dumps me back to the play screen. Initially as soon as I clicked play a widow came up telling something about a trial period.

Are you logged-in to all three devices with same Amazon account? 

FireTV app has a 2-week trial period after which valid Premiere subscription or App unlock (one-time payment) is required for full playback. 

Android TV or Fire TV Free App Unlock Premiere
Limited Playback (two week trial)

Full Playback

Live TV    

Emby Premiere Feature Matrix

Can someone explain what's going on?

Read above. 

Is the non-premier account limited to a certain number of clients?

No, but some client apps/platforms have certain limitafions (i.e. 1-minute playback, 2-week trial etc.), as per above matrix. 

And if so, what did my $4.89 pay for?

It paid for App unlock which should enable full playback - if you're having issues, you can write to billingsupport@emby.media with proof of purchase/purchase details/account used and they will likely sort you out. 

Edited by GrimReaper

12 hours ago, PeterMorris said:

Each time i select play on any file, the rolling wheel appears for about 30 seconds then returns me to the "play" screen

Hi.  That doesn't sound like an issue with the unlock.

Can you please play that item for a few seconds and then follow the instructions to send a log from the app?

Thanks.

PeterMorris
7 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

FireTV app has a 2-week trial period after which valid Premiere subscription or App unlock (one-time payment) is required for full playback. 

Read above. 

No, but some client apps/platforms have certain limitations (i.e. 1-minute playback, 2-week trial etc.), as per above matrix. 

It paid for App unlock which should enable full playback - if you're having issues, you can write to billingsupport@emby.media with proof of purchase/purchase details/account used and they will likely sort you out. 

Thank you. I thought I'd looked all over for that chart, but obviously I didn't...

PeterMorris

Not sure if I've done this as asked... according to the link there's supposed to be a way to send the attached log file from within the Emby app on my Fire Stick, but I did not find anything related to logs on the app or within Fire. 

In any case, I attempted to run a music video this morning as a test. It failed to play. The log file appears to indicate a bunch of errors (that mean nothing to me).... This was run on the Stick for which I paid to unlock...

Thanks for your assistance. 

Peter

On 10/10/2023 at 1:03 AM, GrimReaper said:

Read above. 

No, but some client apps/platforms have certain limitations (i.e. 1-minute playback, 2-week trial etc.), as per above matrix. 

Thank you. I thought I'd looked all over for that chart, but obviously I didn't...

embyserver.txt

Hi. There doesn't appear to be any playback in that server log.  All those errors are related to port mapping.  If you turn off the option to automatically port map in the server network settings, those should go away.

10 minutes ago, PeterMorris said:

there's supposed to be a way to send the attached log file from within the Emby app on my Fire Stick, but I did not find anything related to logs on the app or within Fire. 

Did you turn on the debug option in the app?  Did you then look under the 'cog' menu during playback or your user menu at the top of the home page?

You enter the settings page and turn on the "Debug Options".  Now there will be a new option on the user menu at the top of your app home page labelled "Send Log".  

PeterMorris

Sorry to be so dense, but...  Should debug options be on or off at this time? The only place I see a debug options switch is on the Logs screen and under DLNA Debug in the Emby App on my PC. Under the Cog in the client Emby App there are only a few options for playback on the device.

GrimReaper
7 minutes ago, PeterMorris said:

Should debug options be on or off at this time?

You need to turn them On in client app. 

7 minutes ago, PeterMorris said:

The only place I see a debug options switch is on the Logs screen and under DLNA Debug in the Emby App on my PC.

You're looking for it in the wrong place. In your AndroidTV client app settings, go to "General Display" tab, scroll all the way down. 

Edited by GrimReaper

PeterMorris

Found where to turn on the log. Thanks! However I am unable to locate the new option on the user menu at the top of my app home page labeled "Send Log". I'd like to say I looked everywhere, but, well, I've been wrong before... 

In answer to the question "Did you then look under the 'cog' menu during playback or your user menu at the top of the home page?" I enter the cog screen from the Emby for Fire Stick home page. Once I click playback for any video, the screen goes black except for the rolling wheel until I am returned to the video play screen.

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, PeterMorris said:

However I am unable to locate the new option on the user menu at the top of my app home page labeled "Send Log". I'd like to say I looked everywhere

Clck on your user icon, it'll be option listed at the bottom. 

PeterMorris

So, I sent a log from my Emby device for which I paid the unlock fee. It went unaccompanied by any explanation, as I saw no way to include one. What happens now? I still am unable to play any of my media except on my PC or my Android phone. Not the TVs in either of our accustomed viewing locations.

6 hours ago, PeterMorris said:

So, I sent a log from my Emby device for which I paid the unlock fee. It went unaccompanied by any explanation, as I saw no way to include one. What happens now? I still am unable to play any of my media except on my PC or my Android phone. Not the TVs in either of our accustomed viewing locations.

Okay, then we would need you to follow the rest of the instructions.

Then add the following information to your report in the forum:

• Exactly what you were doing and what happened.  Include the name of whatever you played if it is a playback problem
  • The time you sent the log (in Eastern Time please - UTC -5)
  • The name of the Emby user on the local server that was logged in at the time

Thanks.

PeterMorris

OK, sorry for being another of the slow-to-comprehend folks. 8-)   

What happened: I installed Emby for Fire on my Firestick 2.0 (on each of my 3 Fire Sticks). Working with the Stick on the Living Room TV, I was able to connect to the Emby server on my PC over WiFi and browse my media libraries. However, every time I click on any media file, after opening the play media screen and clicking play, the screen goes black except for the rolling wheel, which spins for about 15 seconds, then returns to the play media screen. I went ahead and paid to unlock the iteration of Emby on the Living Room TV and while the warning went away, the media files still do not play on the Fire Stick. (They play fine on my PC and my Android phone.) 

When was the file sent: ........  couldn't remember, so I just now went out to try again and resend the log, and .... the file played. So I tried another file ...  and it played.

So, although it seems to have taken 4 days to straighten itself out, THAT Stick appears to be working.

I'm going to try my other two sticks to see if they are now working. ------- Well, the stick in my den now works, also.

However, Emby on my Fire Stick in our Family Room does not. I just sent the logs for that.

User: Peter M. Morris

Media File: music video of Allison Krauss "Forget About It"

Time: 12:22 EST

I hope you can make sense of all this!

Hi.  The request to get information about how to play the item is timing out.  Is your server really busy doing something or is this a wireless connection that isn't very good?

PeterMorris

Hmmm... I don't think the server is that busy, as it only ever pushed when my wife and I are together watching something. My wireless router informs me that all locations in my mesh are excellent every time I check, which is when I experience lag and stuttering,  or even on-screen complaints from the devices that the WiFi connection is lost. As if somehow, even though the house is saturated with excellent signal, the devices are unable to connect. Temporarily. It seems as if it's most often an app that is struggling, not the TV. Both TVs are smart TVs and they seem able to maintain connection when an app is struggling (which frankly puzzles me).

PeterMorris
On 10/14/2023 at 6:35 AM, ebr said:

Hi.  The request to get information about how to play the item is timing out.  Is your server really busy doing something or is this a wireless connection that isn't very good?

Hmmm... I don't think the server is that busy, as it only ever pushed when my wife and I are together watching something. My wireless router informs me that all locations in my mesh are excellent every time I check, which is when I experience lag and stuttering,  or even on-screen complaints from the devices that the WiFi connection is lost. As if somehow, even though the house is saturated with excellent signal, the devices are unable to connect. Temporarily. It seems as if it's most often an app that is struggling, not the TV. Both TVs are smart TVs and they seem able to maintain connection when an app is struggling (which frankly puzzles me).

Any suggestions? 

PeterMorris

I click on the selected video, the screen goes black for about 15 seconds and then returns to the "play video" screen. Switching to/between media groups on the Home screen is flawless, selecting a particular video within a media group brings up the appropriate "play video" screen. But when I click to play, nothing appears. And this happens ONLY on one specific TV/Fire Stick combo. All three TV/Stick combos behaved this way initially, but about 3 days after the initial install, they began playing media. I doubt there's any significance, but the TV/Stick combo that isn't working happens to be a 4k Fire Stick.

On 10/21/2023 at 5:45 PM, PeterMorris said:

I click on the selected video, the screen goes black for about 15 seconds and then returns to the "play video" screen. Switching to/between media groups on the Home screen is flawless, selecting a particular video within a media group brings up the appropriate "play video" screen. But when I click to play, nothing appears. And this happens ONLY on one specific TV/Fire Stick combo. All three TV/Stick combos behaved this way initially, but about 3 days after the initial install, they began playing media. I doubt there's any significance, but the TV/Stick combo that isn't working happens to be a 4k Fire Stick.

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

PeterMorris
On 10/22/2023 at 11:02 PM, Luke said:

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

I loaded what I suppose is the Android app from the Samsung App store (Samsung TV) and installed it, and it runs the videos. So I guess this means the problem is something to do with the Fire Stick or Emby for Fire Stick app. I'm going to play around with that TV to see if there is a Fire app and maybe I can do away with the Stick...