Consideration for Emby Theater Unlock option for full playback?

thevoidatlas

thevoidatlas

Are there any plans or considerations for an Emby Theater unlock option that is tied to the user account and not the server? Not sure how it would work but i'd be willing to pay $20 to $30 one time to unlock that functionality in just the Windows desktop app. I want to be able to direct playback media from a server that is shared with me that doesn't have Premiere. This would let us support the project (emby) if we don't have our own hosted server. 

I have thought about buying Emby Premiere lifetime but it seems that wouldn't help since that isn't my server. I can use a web browser for playback but that transcodes a lot more. 

Edited by thevoidatlas
  • Agree 1

TMCsw

I think you have the wrong idea? 

If the server you are accessing to is transcoding than this is would Not be fixed with a ‘Emby Theater unlock’ (in fact a server without ‘Premiere’ would be more likely to fail to give you a stream at all) (see . Emby Premiere Feature Matrix )

You should search for (or start a new thread) as to why emby Theater doesn’t direct play. I don't do windows anymore 🙂 but many people recommend using the Theater version from the emby site rather than the 'Windows Store'

hthgihwaymonk

@TMCswthe OP is stating that content is transcoding because he is forced to use a browser instead of Emby Theater.
For whatever reason, the share OP uses doesn't have a premiere licence so OP can not use Emby Theater.
Which is why OP is asking for a one time unlock fee for Emby Theater so they can use it.

TMCsw
17 minutes ago, hthgihwaymonk said:

@TMCswthe OP is stating that content is transcoding because he is forced to use a browser instead of Emby Theater.
For whatever reason, the share OP uses doesn't have a premiere licence so OP can not use Emby Theater.
Which is why OP is asking for a one time unlock fee for Emby Theater so they can use it.

Perhaps you are right but they said:

5 hours ago, thevoidatlas said:

I can use a web browser for playback but that transcodes a lot more. 

So i thought it is a transcoding issue, not a '1 min. time limit' 

thevoidatlas
2 hours ago, TMCsw said:

Perhaps you are right but they said:

So i thought it is a transcoding issue, not a '1 min. time limit' 

@hthgihwaymonk is correct. I meant that that it works via a web browser without any "time limits" but it transcodes, because the browser can't direct play all types of media. Emby Theater uses MPV under the hood so can direct play. This is why I wanted an unlock for emby theater like there is one for AndroidTV/Firestick, etc... I however feel that Emby Theater access is probably worth more than $5 one time so I'm suggesting the unlock being more money ($20 to $30). 

I should have been more clear. Apologies for that

• Agree 1