Settings search

Cluttered

Cluttered

Just a thought, I am a new user and finding anything in settings is a nightmare.

What about doing it the way iOS or Eclipse (to name just two) do it. Implement a search. On my iPad if I go to settings and have no idea where they have hidden/moved a setting now, I can drag down, a search box appears, I type in a word - say 'wifi', and up pop all the settings that contain wifi. 

Eclipse has the same, in settings you can do a settings search and narrow down the list by using a search term, making it way easier to find what you need.

Given the massive number of settings it would be really helpful.

GrimReaper

Hi, there's already an open request for this or something functionally equivalent. Please join in and contribute to the existing discussion at:

Cluttered

Because it always takes me forever, going through the settings, or trying to find the right "..." menu, I'm sure it's because I have only been using it 3 days, once I get familiar with it it will be fine. But the initial learning curve is steep.

I'd like to list all entries that have more than one file so I can split them and fix them (I had a series of taskmaster which showed one episode, when split it has 5 as it should). I have transferred my iTunes library across and am in the process of fixing it but it's 6TB so it will take a while. I was looking for a way to show entries with the filename but couldn't find it.

Edited by Cluttered

Cluttered

And I did try to see if this had been raised before but searching for "search settings" produced quite a few results...

Edited by Cluttered

I do want a settings search, but I also want it to be easy to navigate at the same time. What could have been done differently that you think would make it easier to get around?

I'd like to list all entries that have more than one file so I can split them and fix them (I had a series of taskmaster which showed one episode, when split it has 5 as it should).

By the way a settings search wouldn't find this. This would be more along the lines of filtering your library content.

Cluttered

Well a settings search would help get to the right setting quickly. I am sure in time I will remember where everything is, like I say I'm three days in and moving a copy of my iTunes library into emby (I did look at a number of other servers and I didn't like them for various reasons).

I bought the lifetime premiere after about a day and then the hd homerun and am pleased I did, I had a bit of an issue with recording but that's sorted now.

Moving iTunes is a bit of a pain, obviously it has it's own structure and I don't want to mess about too much. Most of the things are okay. The main issue I found so far is that some entries have multiple files, like the taskmaster example, I then have to go in and split them all apart enter the correct tvdb/imdb id's and usually all is well.

If I could see which items have been grouped then that would be a bit easier. At the moment I created collections (e.g. [To Check-TV]) and added all of the items for each type into those, then I am going through and once each entry has been checked and looks okay then I remove it from the collection.

As the iTunes library is 6TB then it's going to be a bit of work. Not sure what would speed it up, it's probably worth checking each one, I got iTunes when it first came out so 20+ years of stuff. The TV series are the worst as films & home videos should just be one file each but TV has seasons and then episodes. I have 1000 movies, 1800 home videos, both shouldn't take too long. But then there are 500 TV shows, some have 1 season, some many more and each has anywhere from 3 to 26 episodes per season. As for music, I think I might just assume that's fine and ignore it, I don't think I can face going through 1500 albums.

There may be better ways to check everything but I couldn't see it. I looked at reports but that didn't seem to be useful. Oh, that reminds me, I did reports for each, then clicked csv and each time it created just the headers I think, excel created the full file, so a report for media, movies (966 entries) creates a csv of 189 bytes if grouping is on, otherwise a csv of 23KB, if I export to excel then they are 40KB & 60KB. Doesn't seem to matter which grouping I choose.

Anyway, loving emby so far, very impressed. 

Mark.

1 hour ago, Luke said:

I do want a settings search, but I also want it to be easy to navigate at the same time. What could have been done differently that you think would make it easier to get around?

By the way a settings search wouldn't find this. This would be more along the lines of filtering your library content.

I was thinking about this, and even though a settings search would not find this, we could also have a settings search do a lookup on our help articles and display those in the search results.

Cluttered

That would be great, it would get new users onboard quicker.

One other quickie, as I said I am using collections, is there a way to set smaller images as you can in the normal libraries, and is sorting possible for them? 

What do you mean smaller images? Where exactly? You can use the metadata editor to set the default display order of each collection.

Cluttered

Well if I go to TV Shows for example, click the ... then I can choose Image size, there doesn't seem to be anything similar for collections.

I get sort title & date in the display order is that right? Hadn't though to look in there.

2 minutes ago, ebr said:

@AbobaderWhy isn't this topic locked?  It is a duplicate... Why is this discussion here instead of the original?

Luke unlock the thread :)

22 minutes ago, ebr said:

@AbobaderWhy isn't this topic locked?  It is a duplicate... Why is this discussion here instead of the original?

Sorry, when he said this:

I am a new user and finding anything in settings is a nightmare.

I wanted to ask about it.