port mapping issue western digital cloud ex2 ultra / Asus router

moviesandtv56

moviesandtv56

While working on another thread port mapping issues were discovered.  I would like to get these fixed so that video can be watched outside of my network.  I have attached the debugging logs.  My router is Asus and internet is ATT fiber.  Let me know if anything else is needed.  Thanks.

embyserver (4).txt

Hi, did you try just configuring your port forwarding manually in your router? 

The automatic port mapping feature is just a convenience feature that hooks into that.

moviesandtv56

there are two addresses on emby for remote access, one is external and one is internal.  the examples show that the internal address is to be put into the router port forwarding field in the above attached example.  what I'm missing is how the external address when input into a browser that is outside of my LAN knows to go go my router with the address that is provided.  in any case, I did some more trouble shooting on it over the past day and can't get it to work, any help is appreciated.  thanks.

what I'm missing is how the external address when input into a browser that is outside of my LAN knows to go go my router with the address that is provided.

Hi, that's just network routing based on ip address. It's the same idea as when someone dials you r number, it's your phone that ends up ringing instead of someone else's.

So are you sure you have the right internal ip address for your router port forwarding setup? Also when trying to connect remotely, are you sure you have the right remote address? Where are you getting that from?

moviesandtv56

So are you sure you have the right internal ip address for your router port forwarding setup? Also when trying to connect remotely, are you sure you have the right remote address? Where are you getting that from?

I got it from here:  image.png.5d07aa174665a7c39a028d24b71bd1d2.png

I put the in home LAN access address into my router.  I put the remote WAN address into my phone and turned off the wifi.  When I put in the remote address in my phone and hit enter on the browser it times out because it didn't find the address.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, moviesandtv56 said:

I went through the trouble shooter several times before posting to this discussion.

HI, which steps succeeded and which ones did not?

• 3 months later...
moviesandtv56

I'm inside the LAN and I click on the Remote (WAN) access. it does not work, it tells me that the site cannot be reached.  If this does not work inside the LAN I'm thinking it won't work outside either.  Correct?

36 minutes ago, moviesandtv56 said:

I'm inside the LAN and I click on the Remote (WAN) access. it does not work, it tells me that the site cannot be reached.  If this does not work inside the LAN I'm thinking it won't work outside either.  Correct?

Hi, no, this is not necessarily true. Are you sure you read and stepped through our Connection Troubleshooter?

Connectivity

This is specifically mentioned with a bold heading:

Important: Testing your external address inside your home might not work, and this is OK. Some internet routers disable loopback capabilities (going out and coming back in), therefore you might not be able to test this from inside your home network. It's important that you test away from home, or with your smart phone or tablet's wifi connection turned off.

• 2 months later...
DarkStar1977
On 1/20/2024 at 2:34 AM, moviesandtv56 said:

Try accessing with Opera with VPN enabled, this will give you an external ip adress and you will see if you're reaching the server or not even being on a local network.

Please be aware that you may access through Opera to the adress http://app.emby.media not HTTPS as this si not supported by the server and will not be able to reach it.

Hope this helps.

Edited by DarkStar1977
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, DarkStar1977 said:

Try accessing with Opera with VPN enabled, this will give you an external ip adress and you will see if you're reaching the server or not even being on a local network.

Please be aware that you may access through Opera to the adress http://app.emby.media not HTTPS as this si not supported by the server and will not be able to reach it.

Hope this helps.

Correction: https://app.emby.media is supported by the server, provided that you have setup https on your Emby Server.

If you haven't, then you should use http://app.emby.media