emby server and AD server cooperation

Nagasawa

Nagasawa

Use LDAP plugin to link emby server (OS Windows2019 or Windows11) with AD. Can I control access to the videos on the emby server using AD user group access restrictions? For example, there are videos called mi1, m2, and m3. Suppose there are users mine and kazuki in AD. The user group is manage,bigner. m1 can be played by mine, kazuki and emby. m2 can only play mine. m3 can only be played by kazuki.

Hi, no you can't. You have to use Emby content restrictions for that. The LDAP integration is for login only.

Nagasawa

Hi.Luke

>You have to use Emby content restrictions for that.

Is it possible to configure this setting with emby? Or do I need another plugin?

1 minute ago, Nagasawa said:

Hi.Luke

>You have to use Emby content restrictions for that.

Is it possible to configure this setting with emby? Or do I need another plugin?

Hi, configure what setting? Emby content restrictions? Those are just the usual controls that we have to determine what users can access, from the libraries, to parental controls, etc:

Content Access

Parental Controls

30 minutes ago, Nagasawa said:

I would like to restrict access by content by domain user or domain group.

By access do you mean just restricting their ability to login? You should be able to do that by designing an ldap filter and entering it into the configuration option called "user search base".

Nagasawa

no. Ideally, when a domain user logs into emby, a list of videos available to that domain user will be displayed, and the displayed videos will be available for viewing.

17 hours ago, Nagasawa said:

no. Ideally, when a domain user logs into emby, a list of videos available to that domain user will be displayed, and the displayed videos will be available for viewing.

Right OK, there's no way to do that, other than recreating those permissions within Emby Server.

35 minutes ago, Nagasawa said:

Can we recreate those permissions within Emby Server ? Is it difficult ?

Well for starters, you'd have to look at the content restriction features that we have in Emby, and tell me how that would map to data in LDAP. 

Then once that is figured out, that information would have to be imported into the server, so we'd need a process to do that. And then obviously it has to be kept up to date.

Nagasawa

Domain users belong to multiple domain groups. Each video file links to a domain group. I think it is necessary to restrict emby's Content Access so that when a domain user logs in to emby, they can only watch videos linked to that domain group. Create a csv file of domain users and domain groups from the AD server. It is possible to provide it every day. If the OS of the emby server is Windows, I think you can always keep it up to date without using csv files by joining AD.

Edited by Nagasawa

• 4 weeks later...

User groups that have common access controls like library access, ratings control, etc. That sure would be an awesome feature but I suspect would be quite a development time sink as it doesn't quite fit with how Emby has been designed for a great experience, rather than an enterprise content delivery system