Need to disable play button overlay

computerprep

computerprep

I'm on version 3.3.32

A play button has appeared very recently on media thumbnails. But it's not visible until it's hovered over.

Problem is, this is an android phone, so as soon as I click the center region of any thumbnail, it hovers the play button, and immediately starts playing.

I've tried changing my display mode from auto to desktop to mobile/tablet and nothing helps. The TV mode is even worse on my phone.

Screen recorded me tapping a thumbnail, paused it where the play button is visible for the split second after tapping it right before the media plays.

Screenshot_20230923-211135.png

• Agree 1

computerprep

Chrome version 117.0.5938.60

Android System WebView version 117.0.5938.60

I will point out that this doesn't happen to me in Chrome, but it's because of my custom css

Screenshot_20230923-222317.png

computerprep

When I comment out that css, the hover play button reappears on Chrome desktop, which I dislike.

Nothing changes on Chrome Mobile (hover button still not there).

Android app, hover button still appears.

computerprep

The Android app? Store official.

Joined beta on an old Google account, so I might still be in the beta channel for this. Not sure how to tell what version is latest release on Play Store without having another device to test.

But definitely not side loaded.

--------

Edit: just uninstalled and reinstalled on current Google account. No beta channel anymore, but version number is the same and hover play still there.

Edited by computerprep

computerprep

This happens on the Emby app installed on my ChromeOS tablet also.

Chrome version 117.0.58380.144 official build 64-bit

App updated to the Sep 19 version, but it also happened on the version before this.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
computerprep

Android app is fixed with version 3.3.40. Haven't tested chrome OS tablet yet.

• Thanks 1

computerprep

Well, it was fixed. But now it's back and looking different.

Redesign a problem and it's still a problem.

Only I'm still on version 3.3.40, so not sure what's going on. Also easy to accidentally mark items un/watched or un/favorite since those buttons are invisible until tapped.

Screenshot_20231023-121051.png

Probably a system update of some kind had an impact. Do you have any updates to chrome or the android system webview available?

computerprep

No updated available to any of those. Last updated Chrome 2 days ago, which coincides with the Emby update.

I don't use the app everyday, so it's hard to be sure when the hover buttons disappeared. But they were definitely gone this morning and reappeared this afternoon.

I noticed when the hover buttons were gone that the playback interface was better laid out. The play/pause button and skip forward/backward buttons were large and centered in the playback zone. Now that the hover buttons are back, I notice the playback interface is back to the layout my phone has used for quite a while. Screenshot attached of the way it is now. I do like the larger buttons, rather than these small ones, and it makes me wonder if the app is classifying my phone as a tablet or something, which is affecting both the hover buttons and the playback interface.

Screenshot_20231023-161153.png

hjason7812
9 hours ago, computerprep said:

No updated available to any of those. Last updated Chrome 2 days ago, which coincides with the Emby update.

I don't use the app everyday, so it's hard to be sure when the hover buttons disappeared. But they were definitely gone this morning and reappeared this afternoon.

I noticed when the hover buttons were gone that the playback interface was better laid out. The play/pause button and skip forward/backward buttons were large and centered in the playback zone. Now that the hover buttons are back, I notice the playback interface is back to the layout my phone has used for quite a while. Screenshot attached of the way it is now. I do like the larger buttons, rather than these small ones, and it makes me wonder if the app is classifying my phone as a tablet or something, which is affecting both the hover buttons and the playback interface.

Screenshot_20231023-161153.png

My progress bar is green on all my devices including phones. Don't know how yours is white. 

computerprep

This is more about getting the app to recognize my device as a phone with only a touch screen interface instead of a mouse interface. With a mouse, hover actions become enabled, which are problematic in a touch screen environment. So many colors and themes are editable in the dashboard, you may look there to tweak what you want.

The goal is for playback interface to look like this attached screenshot with button position, not with colors.

@Luke, I discussed today that using my USB-C headphone adapter seems to switch the app into enabling the hover buttons. It seems to check on app startup, so if I start the app with no USB-C adapter plugged in, it works great even after plugging in. But if I restart the app with the adapter present, we're back to hover buttons and playback interface with small buttons.

Screenshot_20231024-144139.png

So what happens is that it's telling the app that a mouse is your primary input method, and the entire user interface adjusts accordingly.

There has been a chromium bug about this due to some pixel devices reporting this incorrectly:

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1384181#c23

So the app is being impacted by that defect.

Pejamas
On 25/10/2023 at 07:29, Luke said:

So what happens is that it's telling the app that a mouse is your primary input method, and the entire user interface adjusts accordingly.

There has been a chromium bug about this due to some pixel devices reporting this incorrectly:

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1384181#c23

So the app is being impacted by that defect.

So how does this get fixed then? Not sure how I had no issues until i updated to Android 14.

stummuts

I'm also experiencing this issue at the moment. Like the OP, I also have a Google Pixel 7 Pro but with Android 13 installed (no option to upgrade to 14 as yet). I've joined the Android System WebView Beta as a test, but the problem still persists.