Plex-format ID tags for Shows & Movies

adminExitium

adminExitium

Following from:

It may help folks with an easier migration if Emby could also add support for the similar Plex-style id tags in the folder. This way folks don't need to rename their content to the Emby-syle ID tags to get it identified correctly.

Plex Guidelines for naming:

For shows: ShowName (2020) {tvdb-123456} or ShowName (2020) {tmdb-123456} (https://support.plex.tv/articles/naming-and-organizing-your-tv-show-files/)

For movies: Batman Begins (2005) {imdb-tt0372784} or Batman Begins (2005) {tmdb-272} (https://support.plex.tv/articles/naming-and-organizing-your-movie-media-files/)

Edited by adminExitium

Hi, I believe this should already work in the 4.8 beta channel. Our convention is nearly the same, we just look for tmdb=xxx, so support was added for using a dash.

imdb is supported but is not recommended because there is no direct imdb fetcher. if you use the imdb id, then you're counting on moviedb to have that imdb id in their database.

They will usually have the actual movie, but that doesn't mean they will always have the imdb id attached to it.

adminExitium

Got it, will prefer TMDB & TVDB over IMDB. But that doesn't answer the main question... Has support been added for tmdb too, rather than just tmdbid, as mentioned in the docs?

adminExitium

So, the FR is still valid.

Another difference is the brackets: [ is mentioned in the Emby docs and Plex uses {.

Hopefully both can be supported.

• Thanks 1

adminExitium

Just saw the line about Support more conventions with provider id values in folder names (moviedb, imdb, etc) in the latest beta. Does this support all the above formats now?

For shows: ShowName (2020) {tvdb-123456} or ShowName (2020) {tmdb-123456}

For movies: Batman Begins (2005) {imdb-tt0372784} or Batman Begins (2005) {tmdb-272} 

• 2 weeks later...
Multiverse

Does this improvement also include the Plex naming scheme for editions of movies (Director's Cut, Extended Cut, etc.)?

rbjtech
1 hour ago, Multiverse said:

Does this improvement also include the Plex naming scheme for editions of movies (Director's Cut, Extended Cut, etc.)?

.. yet another thing that the mediaInfo Plugin does btw - it pulls the edition from the filename and creates an emby Tag for it.   Emby doesn't natively support 'editions' - so it's use as a Tag is the best we are going to get until emby provides a proper filter/field for editions...

Blade Runner (1982) {edition-Director's Cut}.mp4
   Blade Runner (1982) {edition-Final Cut}.mkv

Above is the plex format .. 

I'm just using a general search for the following in the filename -

{ "Extended Cut", "Director's Cut", "Directors Cut", "Special Edition", "Extended Edition", "Extended", "Ultimate Edition", "Ultimate Cut", "IMAX", "Anniversary Edition", "Despecialized Edition", "Remastered", "Final Cut" };

but agree it would be nice to get a fixed naming standard.. :)

It then inserts it in the displayed name and adds a Tag.

image.png.5bdddef7d6c749259cbd96c62d7ac7fa.png

image.png.514206dd03ddc1155a9a23d6afc45a8f.png

Edited by rbjtech

Multiverse

Nice thing, but it seems that with this "Solution" there is no automatic grouping of the different versions of a movie.

@LukeSo it would be very nice to get support for the Plex way of naming different versions / editions.

• Thanks 1

bakes82
On 10/12/2023 at 5:47 PM, Multiverse said:

Nice thing, but it seems that with this "Solution" there is no automatic grouping of the different versions of a movie.

@LukeSo it would be very nice to get support for the Plex way of naming different versions / editions.

So install the plugin that group movies.  Plex doesnt do anything special for diff versions, its no diff than emby just shows the file name.  

rbjtech
4 hours ago, bakes82 said:

So install the plugin that group movies.  Plex doesnt do anything special for diff versions, its no diff than emby just shows the file name.  

I don't use Plex, but if that's all it does with the 'edition' then just putting the edition after the last '-' is probably more useful .. but if you want to actually group movies - then it's going to need to hold the data...

On 12/10/2023 at 22:47, Multiverse said:

..which is what the Plugin does - just search/group/sort by the Tag.  

image.png.8665bb3841b0319389b7405753618ddb.png

image.thumb.png.d8cf1e7a93b2a08a2b7d03f2bc56af7a.png

• 2 weeks later...

To add to this, would it be possible to have an option for Emby to handle ‘Recrntly Added’ items the same way Plex does?

Using TRaSH guides means whenever I get a file updated…. It’s ’recently added’.

i understand why this happens and what the current solutions are… the above would really make me happy!

I’ve recently moved over from Plex at Hetzner… all in on Emby and I’m very happy… this small difference is the only thing I don’t like!

adminExitium

@nzbadamPlease create a new FR for your request (in case nothing exists already) since it has no overlap with the FR in this thread, which has already been addressed.

I'm currently testing the latest beta version.
TV Shows still not scanning correctly (like plex ay do). I only see folders.

I'm a former plex user and this is the only thing stopping me from purchasing emby premiere and switching completely to emby.

The structure of the directory I had on Plex:

-movies

--Movie.Name.1018p.Multi.hmax-ownmedia

- tv shows
-- Ashoka.s01e02.multi.1080p.dsnp.web.atmos.h.264-ownmedia
-- Ashoka.s01e03.multi.1080p.dsnp.web.atmos.h.264-ownmedia
-- Ashoka.s01e04.multi.1080p.dsnp.web.atmos.h.264-ownmedia
--Accused.s01.multi.1080p.hmax-ownmedia
--Gotham.Knights.s01E06.multi.1080p.hmax-ownmedia

Movies works almost fine. Only thing that offen "ownmedia" is added to movie titile, ex: The.40.Year.Old.Virgin by ownmedia". Please fix this. But more important is to use plex style folder structure for tv shows.