DLNA Won't Work on Synology via Docker or Natively

mattl1979

mattl1979

For the life of me, I cannot get Emby to show as a DLNA server in my local network. I tried both the native Synology app and also installing it via a docker. I also installed Jellyfin in another docker container. During all of the testing, only one instance had its DLNA server enabled. When I enabled Jellyfin's, DLNA functionality worked flawlessly. I tried running a DLNA server from my own PC and that worked as well. It's just Emby's implementation that doesn't work.

What am I missing? I tried the secure connection setting of "Preferred, Not Required" and also disabling HTTPS altogether. Neither made a difference. For additional testing, I copied the settings from DLNA.xml from Jellyfin to Emby (sans the UserID) and that also made no difference.

I can't imagine it's a firewall setting on the Synology either as (1) Jellyfin worked, and (2) all internal port to all internal port traffic is allowed.

Edited by mattl1979

Hi, what exactly is the problem?

What am I missing? I tried the secure connection setting of "Preferred, Not Required" and also disabling HTTPS altogether.

As DLNA is a local network feature, these settings do not have any impact on it.

mattl1979
Just now, Luke said:

Hi, what exactly is the problem?

As DLNA is a local network feature, these settings do not have any impact on it.

The problem is Emby doesn't show up on any of my DLNA clients. When I tested with a local PC DLNA server and also with Jellyfin (on the same Synology Emby is running), both showed up as DLNA servers.

What clients? Did you enable the Dlna Server in Emby Server Dlna settings? In newer server releases it is off by default now.

mattl1979
Just now, Luke said:

What clients? Did you enable the Dlna Server in Emby Server Dlna settings? In newer server releases it is off by default now.

Yes, it's on. And all clients in my household. Roku Ultra devices, Denon receiver, Yamaha receiver, and my PC.

OK, please temporarily enable both server debug logging as well as dlna debug logging. Then restart the server, then go to your Dlna apps, restart them and see if it shows up. Then please attach the emby server log:

Thanks.

mattl1979

As another test, I installed Docker locally on my Windows 11 PC and then tried both the latest Emby image and the latest beta image. Set up all ports, a mini-library, etc. Even temporarily disabled the firewall, allowing all inbound and outbound traffic, just in case that had an impact.

Nothing. It's like that checkbox for DLNA Server isn't doing anything. I do see port 1900 in netstat, however.

I repeated the same using Jellyfin and the DLNA server instantly showed up in my clients. I hate Jellyfin, though, as it's much slower than Emby. Not sure what's going on with the DLNA within Emby.

Edited by mattl1979

mattl1979

Luke,

DLNA Servers I've tried:

1. Emby (Synology native app)
  2. Emby (Synology docker container in host mode)
  3. Emby (Windows docker container in host mode)
  4. Jellyfin (Synology docker container in host mode)
  5. Jellyfin (Windows docker container in host mode)

DLNA clients I've tried:

1. Roku (Roku Media Player)
    1. Tried on two separate devices
  2. Windows 11 Pro (should show up in "Network locations")
  3. Yamaha Receiver (RX-A760)
  4. Denon Receiver (AVR-X6500H)

During testing of the five server instances, only one was running at a time to avoid any potential conflicts. On both the Synology and Windows, the firewall was temporarily disabled allowing all traffic in order to rule out a blocked port, IP address, or local subnet. Inside Emby, HTTPS was fully disabled, however I also tried it with it enabled (both required and preferred, not required).

In all three Emby trials, none of the DLNA clients on my network saw it. Not even for a second. In both instances of Jellyfin, all clients saw the DLNA server within 1-3 seconds. When I looked at the Jellyfin log, there were many more entries about DLNA in it. Emby is showing minimal, other than when I toggled it on and off.

Edited by mattl1979

What libraries have you setup on the server?  Did you customize your server display name?

I'll be able to test Roku Media Player in a couple days, although I have tested that in recent months. Windows Network as well as Windows Media Player I test all the time though. If those are not working then it sounds to me like something is blocking the traffic.

Are there any dlna apps you can install directly on the server machine in order to try and verify that?

mattl1979
23 hours ago, Luke said:

What libraries have you setup on the server?  Did you customize your server display name?

I'll be able to test Roku Media Player in a couple days, although I have tested that in recent months. Windows Network as well as Windows Media Player I test all the time though. If those are not working then it sounds to me like something is blocking the traffic.

Are there any dlna apps you can install directly on the server machine in order to try and verify that?

Libraries: I just have music (MP3s). Server name is customized. Only special character is an underscore. Everything else is A-Z.

Blocked Traffic: That's kind of what I thought, too, but even when I disable the firewall, whether on my Windows PC and/or on the Synology NAS, it made no difference. Besides as mentioned, Jellyfin's DLNA server worked upon first install without me changing anything.

DLNA Apps: Do you mean to install a DLNA client on the server?

Edited by mattl1979

1 hour ago, mattl1979 said:

DLNA Apps: Do you mean to install a DLNA client on the server?

Exactly, yes, on the same machine.

mattl1979
17 hours ago, Luke said:

Exactly, yes, on the same machine.

I didn't install a DLNA client, however I did also try Synology's "Media Server". Upon installation, the DLNA clients instantly picked up the server. Jellyfin works, and Media Server works. Emby so far is the only one not working. No changes to the firewall to get Jellyfin or Media Server to work.

Based on this, makes no sense to be a firewall/blocked connection issue as other DLNA servers work without issue.

mattl1979
15 hours ago, Luke said:

Is there a client you can try on the server machine though?

I installed "Audio Station", a Synology package. I made sure the native Synology package for Emby was the only DLNA server in my network. Audio Station did NOT pick it up. I enabled another DLNA server I have and it worked immediately. This test as well as the other few tests definitely confirms it's not a firewall issue, but rather one of Emby's DLNA server itself, unfortunately. I did install the beta Emby in a docker container as well. It, too, did not work.

What else do you recommend? Anything else needed to help you diagnose the underlying issue?

mattl1979

Luke, I also tried Subsonic (docker container using host network) and Plex Media Server (native Synology app). Both of these have a working DLNA server which shows on all my clients. As so far, every single DLNA server, whether installed natively via Synology, through a docker host container on the Synology, or a docker host container on my PC works without issue and without changing any of my existing settings (firewall, etc). Emby is literally the only media server in my environment that has a non-functional DLNA server. I tried Emby using a native Synology image, in a Synology docker container using host network (both latest and beta tags), and in a docker container using host network on my local PC.

That said, I do like Emby the best though just for ease-of-use, minimal resources, and decent functionality. I just wish we could figure out what's going on w/ DLNA functionality with it. It's not a connectivity issue as that's clearly been ruled out via installation of other apps, and also running a DLNA client on the Synology which would bypass any network issues.

OK just for testing purposes, if you install the server onto windows 11 and enable the dlna server there, does that show up in windows 11 network locations for you? Does roku media player detect it?

mattl1979

Finally got a chance to do this. Installed directly onto my Windows PC. Got a warning about the Windows firewall, opened the ports, added a library, enabled the DLNA server, and then...Nothing.

This new installation still does not show up as a DLNA server on my local PC or in Roku Media Player.

embyserver.txt

Edited by mattl1979
Added log from local PC

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2023 at 10:56 AM, mattl1979 said:

Finally got a chance to do this. Installed directly onto my Windows PC. Got a warning about the Windows firewall, opened the ports, added a library, enabled the DLNA server, and then...Nothing.

This new installation still does not show up as a DLNA server on my local PC or in Roku Media Player.

embyserver.txt 132.74 kB · 0 downloads

Did you test windows media player on the same machine as the server?

mattl1979

Luke,

Yes I have done that, to no avail. I even tried it using the latest beta, and even played around with various versions of the DLNA plug-in. Absolutely nothing gets Emby to show in my DLNA clients. Right now, I am using Plex Media Server for that as it "just works", however I much prefer to stick solely with Emby. The DLNA plug-in not working on my network is the only setback. I should also add that I tried it with my music library, no library at all, and a test library containing only music videos. Nothing made a difference. I don't see anything in the logs either.

Edited by mattl1979

• 3 weeks later...

HI, have you customized any emby server network settings? Also what kind of smart phone do you have?

If it's android, can you try installing bubble upnp? Does that detect the server for you? If it's iOS, can you try nPlayer Lite? 

Thanks.

mattl1979

Nothing changed in the network settings as far as I know. Using default ports of 8096/8920. I downloaded and installed BubbleUPNP like you suggested. Surprisingly, this is literally the ONLY app that say the Emby DLNA server. Also interestingly is that my Windows PC now sees BubbleUPNP as a DLNA server.

Conclusion:

• Seen by all DLNA clients in my network (VLC, Roku, Windows 11)
    • Plex Media Server
    • Jellyfin
    • Synology Media Server
    • BubbleUPNP
    • Subsonic
  • Seen by BubbleUPNP only
    • Emby
      • Locally installed on PC
      • Installed on Docker
      • Installed on Synology
    • Plex Media Server
    • Jellyfin
    • Synology Media Server
    • BubbleUPNP
    • Subsonic

So as you can see, nothing in my network picks up the Emby DLNA server except BubbleUPNP; however my clients pick up all other DLNA servers that I've tried.

Edited by mattl1979