Watch Status with Docker and Nginx

liesenheimer

liesenheimer

Ok, so I am running Emby using Docker and Nginx.  Outside clients using my domain through Nginx for some reason don't keep track of "played" status, possibly other things as well.  If I'm on my local network, or VPNd in, "played" status is reported correctly.  What should I look into to remedy this?  I'm not sure where to start.

• 3 weeks later...
liesenheimer

It seems maybe Nginx isn't the issue.  I could successfully log in through the web (Chrome and Edge browsers) using my ddns address and mark items played.  So I'm having issues on the Android app and the FireTV Stick app.  Unfortunately I don't have an iOS device to test at the moment.  I did try to test on an Arch Linux install I had, but I couldn't even get logged into the Emby app for some reason.

Edited by liesenheimer

28 minutes ago, liesenheimer said:

but I couldn't even get logged into the Emby app for some reason.

Hi, why not? What happened when you tried?

liesenheimer
5 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, why not? What happened when you tried?

I tried logging in manually, and it kept giving me incorrect username or password messages.

liesenheimer

Okay, I was just able to get logged in to the Linux app using Emby connect.  The issue persists in the Linux app as well.

liesenheimer
On 10/13/2023 at 2:53 PM, Luke said:

HI, and still no problem inside your local network?

Can you please provide a specific example?

Sorry for the delayed response.  That is correct.  So far I've tried on Fedora Linux Emby app and Manjaro Arch Linux app.  If I mark a movie as "Played" while on my local network, all is good and that status sticks and is reflected through other logged in devices.  If I mark something "played" while not on my local network, the status will show marked, but as soon as I go back to my library, it disappears and does not reflect in my other logged in devices.  Now, when I mark played outside of my network through the browser (Brave, Chrome, Firefox have been tried), the status is updated immediately through the rest of my devices.

I will try to grab some logs tomorrow.  Thanks again for the assistance with this!

liesenheimer
12 hours ago, Luke said:

Did you compare your nginx settings to what I linked to?

Somewhat.  One person said that since I'm running Nginx Proxy Manager through Unraid, the Web Sockets Support toggle (enabled) should emulate the portion of the config in question.

Here is a link to my post in that thread.  It is still unclear whether anything other than the Web Socket Support is needed, but since it works through a web browser, I would say that toggle is doing what it's supposed to.

I would probably suggest starting with all of it as a baseline and then customizing from there.

Otherwise, to get to the bottom of it with your current config is going to require debugging it. In other words, looking at the incoming request in nginx logs, then looking at what happens to the request before it reaches emby server (if it even gets there). And then checking the emby server log to see if the request even gets there, or maybe it got there but nginx did something to it that has it throwing an error.

If it doesn't get there at all, meaning it never shows up in the emby server log, then that might be the easiest thing to hunt down and fix in your ngnix config.