Strange subtitles showing and cannot be turned off

Ronstang

Ronstang
1 hour ago, Luke said:

HI, what version of the Emby Samsung app are they on? You can get the latest USB build from our website.

Hey Luke, thanks.....I have no idea as I am home and will have to wait until I go back up in a week or so to help them.  It's frustrating because when I am there I just want to fix it but don't have enough time to get anywhere without info.  

Does the beta Samsung app use a different video player?  Because that has to be the problem as it is displaying the embedded CCs, albeit a corrupted unrecognizable version that I can see in MPV too, but they cannot be turned off.  I tried the CC button on the Samsung remote to no avail.

I am so frustrated that my parents cannot use emby because of this.  I hate Samsung TVs, I cannot believe they gave me a perfect Sony 4K TV that was 10x better than this Samsung garbage they bought at Costco for $400 because it was a few inches bigger but a 10th the quality.  I am about at the point where I just get them a Firestick and be done with it since all my Firesticks play my content perfectly without BS.

I will try the beta app but something tells me this is rooted in Samsung and not the emby app which means it may not be solvable. 

Does the beta Samsung app use a different video player? 

No, it is the same thing as what you get from the store, just with newer code.

Please also check that Closed Captions are turned off in The TV's Setup menu (in the Accessibility section)

Ronstang
8 hours ago, SamES said:

Please also check that Closed Captions are turned off in The TV's Setup menu (in the Accessibility section)

Thanks, I was looking for that yesterday but under compressed time needing to be somewhere I could not find it.  I'll do it next time I go up in a week or so.

• Thanks 1

Ronstang
20 hours ago, SamES said:

Upon reflection...I can't see how this can be the problem because the CCs are not showing watching regular TV using Dish Satellite, they only show in emby playing my files.  🤔

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ronstang said:

Upon reflection...I can't see how this can be the problem because the CCs are not showing watching regular TV using Dish Satellite, they only show in emby playing my files.  🤔

I agree, but worth checking.  Aside from that, these are CC subtitles which are part of the video stream, not a separate subtitle stream, so we have no way of turning them off.  

Ronstang
1 hour ago, SamES said:

I agree, but worth checking.  Aside from that, these are CC subtitles which are part of the video stream, not a separate subtitle stream, so we have no way of turning them off.  

I know, that is the problem....but I think this is a junk Samsung problem as I do not have this issue with any other TV or streaming device I use with emby.  Only this one TV.  If emby uses the native video app on the TV there is likely nothing that can be done except stick a Firestick in the TV and be done with it.

Edited by Ronstang

8 hours ago, Ronstang said:

I know, that is the problem....but I think this is a junk Samsung problem as I do not have this issue with any other TV or streaming device I use with emby.  Only this one TV.  If emby uses the native video app on the TV there is likely nothing that can be done except stick a Firestick in the TV and be done with it.

Have you got a sample file you can send me via a link in a PM?

38 minutes ago, SamES said:

Have you got a sample file you can send me via a link in a PM?

Forget that, I found your earlier sample

I don't know if this is helpful to you, but I read some people have had issues whereby once they turn on subtitles/captions in Accessibility options, then even after they turn them off they still appear.

So far I've been unable to see these in your sample video, until now.  I was messing around with the accessibility subtitles and trying different modes (ie: hearing mode).  Eventually I started seeing these caption artifacts on screen.  Even after I turned them off in the TV settings, they continued to play.  I tried restarting the app, but that still did not fix it.  Finally, I did a full restart of the TV (hold down the power button continuously for about 5 seconds until it shuts off then restarts with the Samsung logo - alternatively, just remove power from the TV).  After this the subtitles were gone.   

Maybe this is your issue.  If you parents have turned subtitles on at any time, then turned them off, the TV possibly needs a full restart to really turn them off. 

• Thanks 1

Ronstang
1 minute ago, SamES said:

Maybe this is your issue.  If you parents have turned subtitles on at any time, then turned them off, the TV possibly needs a full restart to really turn them off. 

Thank you, I would not have figured this out....I am so busy doing other things and am at my parents for an afternoon/evening at most and usually busy doing things for them as my father is too old to do much anymore.  I will call my mom and have her try this and report back.

Thanks so much!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ronstang said:

Thank you, I would not have figured this out....I am so busy doing other things and am at my parents for an afternoon/evening at most and usually busy doing things for them as my father is too old to do much anymore.  I will call my mom and have her try this and report back.

Thanks so much!

No problem, I hope it helps.