Strange subtitles showing and cannot be turned off

Ronstang

Ronstang

This is happening on a Samsung Smart TV at my parents' house. I don't own any Samsung TVs and I have never seen this issue so I assume it's a Samsung thing.

All my movies are MKV and HEVC.  The files I am having issue with are all from TCM.  I'm getting gibberish subs that are black boxes with white letters.  I have no control over them through emby as turning off the SRT subs (which are displaying correctly) does not make the problem subs go away so they are on all the time but are random letters and unintelligible.

I have included a picture. I am still at my parents so later when home I will add the log but I don't think this is emby.....I think this is a Samsung issue bur I don't own any so I have no way of.experimentong at home.

Maybe there is a a setting that I need to change on the TV but I have no idea.

20230912_154531.jpg

OK, have you checked the contents of the srt to double check that it doesn't contain that text?

This wasn't hevc recorded from live tv, was it? The only other thing I can think of is if the video has closed captions embedded, which usually we detect so it would have shown up in this screenshot.

Ronstang
4 minutes ago, Luke said:

This wasn't hevc recorded from live tv, was it?

Yes, 90% of my current content is recorded from Cable TV, mostly Turner Classic Movies.  No, that text is not in the SRT file, I just verified that even though I knew it wasn't.  I have played my content on many different devices now as testing and this is the first time I have had this problem and these gibberish subs show regardless of whether subs are turned on or off in emby.

Now...I will say that if I open my files in MPV directly they all show 1 more subtitle track than they actually have which are more than likely embedded and most times it is just the same as the SRT file if it even plays while sometimes it won't show and sometimes it shows gibberish.  I just checked this file that I had trouble with and sure enough the second sub track that MPV shows does play and it is the exact same gibberish as what I experienced at my parents.  But this is the first time this has ever happened so it is still a bug in the app on the Samsung.

1 minute ago, Ronstang said:

Yes, 90% of my current content is recorded from Cable TV, mostly Turner Classic Movies.  No, that text is not in the SRT file, I just verified that even though I knew it wasn't.  I have played my content on many different devices now as testing and this is the first time I have had this problem and these gibberish subs show regardless of whether subs are turned on or off in emby.

Now...I will say that if I open my files in MPV directly they all show 1 more subtitle track than they actually have which are more than likely embedded and most times it is just the same as the SRT file if it even plays while sometimes it won't show and sometimes it shows gibberish.  I just checked this file that I had trouble with and sure enough the second sub track that MPV shows does play and it is the exact same gibberish as what I experienced at my parents.  But this is the first time this has ever happened so it is still a bug in the app on the Samsung.

If it is closed captions then it could be that they're not showing elsewhere because they just don't support it with hevc yet.

Ronstang
9 minutes ago, Luke said:

If it is closed captions then it could be that they're not showing elsewhere because they just don't support it with hevc yet.

Not supported?  These are even present in h.264 files and they don't show in emby.  They only show in MPV when selected.  They are not selected in emby so they should not be playing but they play all the time, there is no option to turn them off......so this is a BUG in the app, it cannot be anything else.  Unless it has something to do with the version of the video player on the Samsung TVs.  Either way, it's a bug.

This does not happen on my Sony TVs, nor my LG TVs, nor on  my Firesticks.  It's a bug not a feature. LOL

Edited by Ronstang

Ronstang

I will have to figure out how to turn on the logs for the Samsung app and see if I can get my parents to play the file again tomorrow because I am not near this TV anymore and I do not have this issue.

4 hours ago, Ronstang said:

I will have to figure out how to turn on the logs for the Samsung app and see if I can get my parents to play the file again tomorrow because I am not near this TV anymore and I do not have this issue.

There are no logs for the app, so we'll just start with server logs and then go from there.

Ronstang

OK Luke, this is the server log from 5PM yesterday and I noticed the issue trying to watch a movie, then testing with other movies between 3:30-4PM yesterday CST.

embyserver-63830138040.txt

Edited by Ronstang

Ronstang
1 hour ago, SamES said:

What software tool did you use to make that short clip from the longer one?  It's possible that it's removed any subtitle tracks

Nope, they are there.  I just loaded the clip into MPV and they are definitely still in the clip.

Ronstang
10 minutes ago, SamES said:

I've tried numerous players but can see any issues.  Maybe Luke might have more success?

Play it in MPV, and these are embedded CCs obviously so they don't show in most players and are off by default in MPV but the subs tab will say 0/1 so you then click on it and turn them on, then  they display.  And these are exactly what I am seeing always using the Samsung TV.

41 minutes ago, Ronstang said:

Play it in MPV, and these are embedded CCs obviously so they don't show in most players and are off by default in MPV but the subs tab will say 0/1 so you then click on it and turn them on, then  they display.  And these are exactly what I am seeing always using the Samsung TV.

What model TV?  Can you attach a server log from playback on the TV?  The server log you posted earlier doesn't have any Samsung TV playback events.  What version number of the Samsung TV app are you using?

I can only see these in handbrake, no other tool sees them

They are EIA-608 captions and they're part of the video stream. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EIA-608

Apparently the only way to remove them is to re-encode the video and strip them out.

https://stackoverflow.com/a/51439554

Can you follow these instructions on you TV and make sure Closed Captions are off or disabled in the TV settings Closed captions and other accessibility settings for your Samsung TV

Right, I think right now, the only video players and tools that can see those subtitles are going to be ones that have been updated to detect EIA-608 in hevc. So for us, on the server, that means in our ffmpeg build.

Ronstang
18 minutes ago, SamES said:

Can you follow these instructions on you TV and make sure Closed Captions are off or disabled in the TV settings Closed captions and other accessibility settings for your Samsung TV

That is actually what I think the issue may be since I have no control over these in the emby app.  The problem here is this is my parents' TV and 50 miles away and trying to get two people in the mid 80's to so anything about this over the phone is futile so I will have to check this out next time I go up to see them.  I'll try to find out some info from them if I can.

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
Ronstang

I'm at my parents' and it is doing it again. I was going to try and update the emby app to beta and see what happens but cannot figure out how.  There is no settings wheel in the emby app on this Samsung TV.

These subs are definitely CCs but they are garbled and show all the time. I tried switching CCs on and off with the remote so somehow I think the built in player of the TV is at fault but I have no idea what to do from here.

This issue essentially makes emby useless on their TV.  

I can try server logs again  when I get home. Anyone hace any suggestions on what to do from here ?

HI, what version of the Emby Samsung app are they on? You can get the latest USB build from our website.