Multiple Version - Custom Naming

bonaminGR

Spaceboy
2 hours ago, bakes82 said:

pretty sure they sell multi hundred device license packs

i would guess that those users represent a tiny % of the user base and decreasing based on topics over the years.

More importantly, i made no comment on whether emby should be supporting this. but for the majority of users it is better to allow emby to transcode rather than prepare and store multiple versions of a file.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
bakes82
On 10/1/2023 at 4:51 AM, Spaceboy said:

i would guess that those users represent a tiny % of the user base and decreasing based on topics over the years.

More importantly, i made no comment on whether emby should be supporting this. but for the majority of users it is better to allow emby to transcode rather than prepare and store multiple versions of a file.

The tiny % is what funds your development cycle, so they should probably listen to those who are buying device pack licenses and not the avg user Id think, you know vote with your dollars.

Spaceboy
21 hours ago, bakes82 said:

The tiny % is what funds your development cycle, so they should probably listen to those who are buying device pack licenses and not the avg user Id think, you know vote with your dollars.

you must have got so angry after the first sentence that you stopped reading, so I'll post it again.

i made no comment on whether emby should be supporting this. but for the majority of users it is better to allow emby to transcode rather than prepare and store multiple versions of a file.

i also think your assertion about which group of users provide the greater income for emby is wrong, but neither of us have evidence to prove it either way

bakes82
5 hours ago, Spaceboy said:

i also think your assertion about which group of users provide the greater income for emby is wrong, but neither of us have evidence to prove it either way

A user that doesnt pay anything is prob the "majority" even the lifetime sub of 100$ isn't providing lots of income, their primary income is from selling reoccurring device licenses.  So if 1 user pays 100 and has emby for 5 years how is that really helping?  Also storing a HQ x265 file and transcoding isnt good, so again your point isnt valid.  Yeah lets only keep x265 4k files and transcode them all down to 1080p, makes no sense unless youre only running a box for yourself, I know my synology can do it for 1 stream but any more or if I have a load from other dockers on my nas then nope, also the "auto" quality setting tends to force a transcode on 4k files unless you set it to the 4k 160 option and then it doesnt, but getting people to change the quality can be challenging also, so yeah better to keep multi versions of 1080p and 4k, especially since the extra storage cost is small.

Spaceboy
5 hours ago, bakes82 said:

A user that doesnt pay anything is prob the "majority" even the lifetime sub of 100$ isn't providing lots of income, their primary income is from selling reoccurring device licenses.  So if 1 user pays 100 and has emby for 5 years how is that really helping?  Also storing a HQ x265 file and transcoding isnt good, so again your point isnt valid.  Yeah lets only keep x265 4k files and transcode them all down to 1080p, makes no sense unless youre only running a box for yourself, I know my synology can do it for 1 stream but any more or if I have a load from other dockers on my nas then nope, also the "auto" quality setting tends to force a transcode on 4k files unless you set it to the 4k 160 option and then it doesnt, but getting people to change the quality can be challenging also, so yeah better to keep multi versions of 1080p and 4k, especially since the extra storage cost is small.

ok you're going to carry on arguing the throwaway comment. carry on. just without me.

• 2 months later...
te5s3rakt

Storing multiple version of a file doesn’t just relate to qualities. It also facilitates different releases, such as Directors Cut vs Theatrical. Better naming options would a win.

I believe the simplest solution is reading the likes of {version:Directors Cut} from the file name. It’s there, it imported into the database, it’s not, then it isn’t. Simples 🤔 

Storage is far cheaper than horsepower, so multiple copies at different qualities is the go method of serving at different qualities. That’s why the likes of YT and NF do it that way. It’s kinda of silly for hobbyists to assume they know better and transcode instead imo ;) 

seanfletcher255
On 9/30/2023 at 4:21 AM, Spaceboy said:

do people still keep multiple versions of files for the purpose of only sharing the lower quality ones with remote users? With the significant improvements to emby transcoding in the last year or two i've found this to be uneccesary and only retain the highest quality i can find and allow emby to transcode as required.

keeping multiple versions seems to be an outdated approach to me

I use the version feature for Alternate Endings/Beginnings Extended cuts, Director cuts  etc. so lets not throw it out

• Agree 1

Spaceboy
12 hours ago, seanfletcher255 said:

I use the version feature for Alternate Endings/Beginnings Extended cuts, Director cuts  etc. so lets not throw it out

well thats not the purpose of the multiversioning feature, there are a number of shortcomings when using for different cuts, which you will no doubt discover in time

roaku
42 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

well thats not the purpose of the multiversioning feature, there are a number of shortcomings when using for different cuts, which you will no doubt discover in time

There are shortcomings to having the cuts as separate items too.

And the documentation continues to demonstrate using multi version for different cuts.

1 hour ago, roaku said:

And the documentation continues to demonstrate using multi version for different cuts.

Yes but with the caveat that it is not designed for that so will have shortcomings.

• Like 1

roaku
20 minutes ago, ebr said:

Yes but with the caveat that it is not designed for that so will have shortcomings.

Thanks for adding that warning. I hadn't seen that it was there now.

seanfletcher255
7 hours ago, Spaceboy said:

those are short comings i am willing to live with and was a big reason to move plus the name 'version' by nature of the word leads one to believe that it is for director's cuts extendeds etc.
if it was just for difference qualities or formats a better name might be appropriate such as 'Resolution' or 'Format'  but just me

1 hour ago, seanfletcher255 said:

such as 'Resolution' or 'Format' 

Those are two different things that could be different in multiple versions but not necessarily both - or either really.  The only difference may be bitrate.

"Version" is a proper descriptive term IMO for what we have now.  If we were to expand the features to support different cuts, that is probably what we would call them but we haven't attempted that at this point.

roaku

It's one of those things that once explained can be defended, but in common usage, if someone asked what version of Kingdom of Heaven you wanted to watch, they would be asking about Director's, Theatrical, or Roadshow cuts, not 4k or 6 megabit.

• Agree 1

seanfletcher255
30 minutes ago, ebr said:

Those are two different things that could be different in multiple versions but not necessarily both - or either really.  The only difference may be bitrate.

"Version" is a proper descriptive term IMO for what we have now.  If we were to expand the features to support different cuts, that is probably what we would call them but we haven't attempted that at this point.

i can see how you would say that all i was trying to say is that version just read differently to me and it doesn't matter to me to have it changed or anything

No doubt it is somewhat ambiguous.  That's why we try to explain it in the docs.  Different cuts (with potentially different lengths, chapters, etc) are technically a different animal and the best solution we have for those now is to make them separate items and put them in a collection.  Not ideal but probably the best functionality that way.

• 3 months later...
DarkStar1977

Can I suggest a similar approach to Plex Multiple versions support ?

Plex allow to have different versions of one movie and does not matter wich one you've in the screen shows at the bottom the other available versions:

image.png.ce8ca8f2939abdb6401e053a99305f5f.png

This allow to navigate from one version to another having all them linked instead are not in the same folder, but most important, have different metadata and pictures for each one, for example:

image.png.ab886a4fd48cf30837227b84a0173a5e.png

It's just an idea ....

Edited by DarkStar1977
  • Agree 1

luser

I have no opinions for this request. However, if this request is taken seriously, this could be yet another use of metadata:

laie_techie

We need a way to distinguish editions (theatrical, director's cut, colorized, etc), technical versions (different resolution, different audio encoding, etc), and different language versions. I like the screen shots DarkStar1977 included in their last post. I don't know how messy the implementation would be.

• Like 1

DarkStar1977

In fact this is how it's presented in Plex:

image.thumb.png.1546e53031548038f7a08fdd694dcc74.png

At the bottom you can see other Editions, that relates to other versions and includes if you have it in your library even a link to the soundtrack.

Definetely we need something like this in Emby :)

• Agree 1