Multiple Version - Custom Naming

bonaminGR

bonaminGR

Hello again ! Hope you're doing great. :) 
I have a suggestion that might be useful to some of us, or at least make the general look a tiny bit more "organized".

[ for those that don't use this ]

When a film has multiple versions, the way it works currently, as far as I understand, is that both the files have the same name (also same as the parent folder) with a different "ending".
For example: 

Folder:   
The Movie (2023)
Files:     
The Movie (2023) - 1080p Version.mkv
The Movie (2023) - 4K Version.mkv

So using this structure,  Emby would show each version as:  "1080p Version" and "4K Version" accordingly in the UI selector. 

[ the problem with the current mechanism ]

Some of us, keep out films using this folder structure, but the file naming is different. 
It's something like:   Movie Title (year) - {imdbid} [resolution] [audio format] [encoding]-releaseGroup
For example, for the film "Dune" the actual file naming is:
Dune (2021) {imdb-tt1160419} [Bluray-1080p][TrueHD Atmos 7.1][x264]-LEGi0N.mkv
The 4K version though, is named:
Dune (2021) {imdb-tt1160419} [Bluray-2160p][HDR10][TrueHD Atmos 7.1][x265]-Tigole - 4K Version

Since both file names start with the Film's name, its year and imdbid, they are the same up to that point. 
Everything beyond that, is different, always depending on the specific file. 
So, for my case the UI shows the two versions as such:

// SideNote //
As a bonus, I don't even keep those two files in the same folder. 
I have seperate folders for FullHD and 4K files. The subfolders are named exactly the same though, so Emby figures that out and it works great. 

image.jpeg.f5191eb6ebd5875b118a6d6f1b356131.jpeg

[ what I'd suggest ]

The thing I would suggest, and definitely like, is for us to be able to somehow set a Custom Name for each version, IF NEEDED. 
I know I can do that by keeping the filenames up to the version, exactly the same, but that defeats the purpose of naming them according to what they are. :) 
I don't know HOW would that be possible or how it should be implemented.
Maybe in the nfo file ? Maybe using a custom TAG in the filename? Such as: {embyver-4K Version} (same as the imdb tag). 
That would be up to the devs.

What I do know is, that this would be a nice quality of life update that's not breaking anything.

PS. The current Version naming system, could obviously co-exist, and if NO CUSTOM NAME IS SUPPLIED, then revert to default naming. I'm suggesting a NEW feature. Not the replacement of a current one. :)

Thank you. Have a nice day buds. 

• Agree 3

bonaminGR
3 hours ago, crusher11 said:

Making it easier for you to pirate is not Emby's job. 

I have watched more than 1500 films in the cinemas, I own more than 500 titles on discs, and more than 10.000 Euros of video games. Both on discs and on my Steam Library. 
I am also subscribed to Netflix (since the FIRST DAY of it being available in my country), Disney+, HULU, and my country's "cable" provider "COSMOTE TV". I also have multiple audio CDs AND a Spotify Subscription, AGAIN, since day 1 in my country. I ALSO, have multiple versions of Albums, on Digital FLAC, discs, and Vinyl. 

I also, pirated games such as "Bulletstorm" because they were available in torrents BEFORE launch, and right at launch BOUGHT THEM TO SUPPORT THE DEVS. 
In the case of Bulletstorm, I have it 2 Times. Regular and GOTY Edition. 
10-20 of my FAVORITE GAMES, I own 2 or even 3 times, and at one point I owned THREE Xbox 360s just to play locally with my friends. 

I also, funny enough, have an Emby Premiere Subscription on the MONTHLY plan, even though the One-Time-Fee is the obvious financial choice to make. 
And I ONLY DID THAT, to support the devs of this wonderful app. 

I also have PROOF OF EVERYTHING ABOVE if you are interested. 

I just don't have the time, and knowledge to setup my own ripping software, to transfer my own discs on digital. 
I prefer downloading them since it's easier, and my internet is fast. 
And lastly, HALF of my titles, aren't even available in my country as physical copies. 

My friends laugh at me, for having the ability to download ANYTHING, and still having Subscriptions like Netflix. 
So, "friend", I'd be more carefull to who I speak about piracy. 

If you way of helping the community is by insulting people you don't know,
I'd rather stay out of Emby all together and watch my movies on jellyfin or something. 

I appreciate it. 

bonaminGR
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Have you tried using the embedded title in the file itself?  

Hello. No. How do I add titles in the files ? I didn't know that was a thing. 

1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Have you tried using the embedded title in the file itself?  

For the version selection that won't have any impact.

rbjtech

It's an interesting point on using MediaInfo data in the actual file 'naming' and personally I've come to the conclusion that is is simply not worth adding any of this data into the filename - as it serves no useful purpose because I rarely look at the 'filesystem' but instead look at the metadata.    I even now remove TV episode names - leaving just the show name, season and episode number.    

Currently - emby DOES use the filename to determine multi-versions - and anything after the last '-' is shown as a 'version' in the multi-version drop down, BUT, as you have found out - this only works if the filenames are identical up to this point AND the folder is called the same thing. 

Perhaps there should be an option to use the metadata TITLE instead or that in combination with the known resolution to produce an auto 'multi-version' in the drop down.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Agree 1

crusher11
17 hours ago, bonaminGR said:

I just don't have the time, and knowledge to setup my own ripping software, to transfer my own discs on digital. 
I prefer downloading them since it's easier, and my internet is fast. 
And lastly, HALF of my titles, aren't even available in my country as physical copies. 

My friends laugh at me, for having the ability to download ANYTHING, and still having Subscriptions like Netflix. 
So, "friend", I'd be more carefull to who I speak about piracy. 

If you way of helping the community is by insulting people you don't know,
I'd rather stay out of Emby all together and watch my movies on jellyfin or something. 

I appreciate it. 

Getting indignant about being accused of piracy is more effective if you don't admit to piracy in the same post.

The more Emby supports piracy, the more vulnerable it is to being taken down by app stores and the like. 

rbjtech
1 hour ago, crusher11 said:

Getting indignant about being accused of piracy is more effective if you don't admit to piracy in the same post.

The more Emby supports piracy, the more vulnerable it is to being taken down by app stores and the like. 

I think the issue @crusher11is you have no place mentioning, accusing or implying it - leave any comments and actions about this topic to the emby staff and if necessary I'm sure they will privately message the user to remind them of the T&C's for emby usage.     

Edited by rbjtech

bonaminGR
4 hours ago, crusher11 said:

I already said, that I download titles instead of ripping my own media because I CAN'T. 

Every time I try to use compression algorithms I find myself either losing too much quality or keep huge files.

Check this video for example, I can stream One Piece on the Netflix Account I AM PAYING FOR. 

I also have One Piece on my server. 

YOU may find that being "piracy". I find that NOT piracy since I'm already paying for the damn thing. I just hate their player. 

Same for every other streaming Service. 

The ONLY paid service, that I actually enjoy using on the native app is Spotify. 

THAT being said, it's not your job to dictate what I will, and what I will not do. 

• Agree 1

Junglejim

Don't stress over one persons comment mate, we all understand.. there are no angles/saints in this game! I bet everyone on this forum has DL some stuff.. me included! :)

Edited by Junglejim

crusher11
50 minutes ago, bonaminGR said:

YOU may find that being "piracy". I find that NOT piracy since I'm already paying for the damn thing. I just hate their player. 

It's still piracy, it's not a matter of opinion.

If the downsides of using Emby with pirated material outweigh the downsides of having to use Netflix, then just stick with Netflix. If the downsides of using Netflix outweigh the downsides of pirating, continue to pirate.

Coming in here and asking for Emby to make piracy easier isn't the answer. As someone who doesn't torrent their media, Emby continually breaking how my server works in order to cater to torrent naming conventions is beyond irritating.

CBers
1 hour ago, bonaminGR said:

I already said, that I download titles instead of ripping my own media because I CAN'T. 

I'm sure @crusher11can give you a few tips, as he always rips his own DVDs.

crusher11
21 minutes ago, CBers said:

I'm sure @crusher11can give you a few tips, as he always rips his own DVDs.

Bonamin is concerned about the size of his output files, so no. Mine are all uncompressed from the disc. 

Given the amount of variance possible in the media sources, some curing is expected at some point. There is no way that emby can cover every scenario for every file name, metadata, source. All of us at some point for practical reasons, time reasons or simply laziness have downloaded from those sites, but every time that i download something i take the time to edit the file headers and file names so that can accommodate to Emby.

Take in account that for most of us this is a hobby and that we are a very niche market and the price we pay to get our media the way we want is to invest time organizing and curating our media to certain degree. If you want convenience and "Just to play and forget" without caring about metadata, versioning, organizing.... Then you can pay someone else to do it, like netflix, disney, hbo. 

The only way that comes to my mind to deal with this is with a plugin that can rename file media, something like auto organize plugin, that once the file is recognized it renames it to the bare "Movie tittle (year)" or even extending that to "Movie tittle (year) - Resolution" and still there will be problems with media miss recognized and files lost in a sea of other media because renaming errors.

bonaminGR
1 hour ago, Mibok said:

Given the amount of variance possible in the media sources, some curing is expected at some point. There is no way that emby can cover every scenario for every file name, metadata, source. All of us at some point for practical reasons, time reasons or simply laziness have downloaded from those sites, but every time that i download something i take the time to edit the file headers and file names so that can accommodate to Emby.

Take in account that for most of us this is a hobby and that we are a very niche market and the price we pay to get our media the way we want is to invest time organizing and curating our media to certain degree. If you want convenience and "Just to play and forget" without caring about metadata, versioning, organizing.... Then you can pay someone else to do it, like netflix, disney, hbo. 

The only way that comes to my mind to deal with this is with a plugin that can rename file media, something like auto organize plugin, that once the file is recognized it renames it to the bare "Movie tittle (year)" or even extending that to "Movie tittle (year) - Resolution" and still there will be problems with media miss recognized and files lost in a sea of other media because renaming errors.

I completely understand what you mean. This is a hobby for me too. 
It's not like this is my job or something. 

I like media. I like computers. I like building staff. So put them together and you get this. 
I've paid for a killer server with dedicated GPUs, NVMe drives and a serious piece of network equipement, just so I can share this with a couple of my friends. I don't even care about the cost. I love seeing the joy in their faces after realising what I've built. 

THAT being said, on-topic, I too, name my files customly. I just use that specific "scheme". 

What I suggested is, that maybe If we could add a TAG in the filename, or in the NFO file, that Emby would treat it as the VERSION name, and show that, on the UI. 

For example, the file could be called "The Film (2020) - gibberish blah blah x264 blah blah {version-4K HDR}.mkv
So If emby sees the tag "version" inside those brackets, then on the UI the only thing displayed, is the "4K HDR". Clean, no brackets, no parenthesis etc. 

I just suggested a change, so the UI is cleaner. 
If that's not possible, or not worth it, that's ok.

Anyway, this post got out of hand. I tried helping (as I always do, and you can clearly see it from my past several posts) and got attacked instead. 
I think I'm just going to stick to the default naming way, and definitely stay out of the suggestion game.

Thanks anyway. 
Have a nice day everyone. 

Edited by bonaminGR

bonaminGR
3 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

If you're renaming your files anyway, why not just use the naming convention? 

Because, I like to know exactly what the file cosists of, in FileSystem level. 
I used to organize all my movies EXACTLY the way Emby's current system works. 

But I've ripped DVDs, then the BluRay came out, and I had to open the file in VLC, press CTRL+I, check the info on the file, and see if I had to re-rip it, or download a proper format. 
It just helps me, on a FILE LEVEL, to know exactly what's going on by Reading the title. 

I only changed to this more advanced naming scheme AFTER I installed Emby. 
Since "Movie (year)" is easier on the eyes in a folder, but if you have Emby running, it doesn't matter since everything will be auto-organized anyway. 

And I only had this suggestion, AFTER I upgraded to a 4K TV. 
I used to only own DVDs and 1080p BD. 
I didn't have a 4K TV, as I watched my content on a 1080p Projector. 

Now that I bought a 4K TV, I want to add 4K content and a nice way to show it in the UI would be more beautiful. 

THAT was the reason for my suggestion. That and actually the thought that it would be a nice addition since it wouldn't break the old system.

• 3 weeks later...

Why should software rely on a file name format once it's been matched, when you have an entire database of metadata on the file.  Why can't I keep my files in 4 different folders with the exact same name, and the folder delineates the quality?  @LukeA lot of things could just support token replacements using a standard object format.  So you could use  "{Quality} {DolbyVision}/{HDR} {Title}" then just string.Format it on render, I think that would fit most people, order by quality.  Obviously on save you check the token names to make sure they are valid, maybe include some simple things line Substring.  You could also look at just using an engine like https://github.com/scriban/scriban 

On 9/23/2023 at 11:19 PM, bakes82 said:

Why should software rely on a file name format once it's been matched, when you have an entire database of metadata on the file.  Why can't I keep my files in 4 different folders with the exact same name, and the folder delineates the quality?  @LukeA lot of things could just support token replacements using a standard object format.  So you could use  "{Quality} {DolbyVision}/{HDR} {Title}" then just string.Format it on render, I think that would fit most people, order by quality.  Obviously on save you check the token names to make sure they are valid, maybe include some simple things line Substring.  You could also look at just using an engine like https://github.com/scriban/scriban 

No reason that can't be done, it just hasn't come up before that I can recall (using separate sub-folders for versions).

If you are referring to arbitrary merging based on things like moviedb id, then yes, that feature will be happening in future updates.

On 9/28/2023 at 3:15 PM, Luke said:

No reason that can't be done, it just hasn't come up before that I can recall (using separate sub-folders for versions).

If you are referring to arbitrary merging based on things like moviedb id, then yes, that feature will be happening in future updates.

I would think most people run a setup where 1080p and 4k are in different locations ie /tv/series,  /tv/series4k.  Then you dont share out the 4k folder to people who have crappy internet/transcode.  Unless emby has some other way to limit access to files based on meta like Is4k, the only way would be to segregate the data and not share out that path/library, if they were all together it wouldnt be viable to prevent a user from seeing a 4k file and maybe causing a huge slow-down on your nas because they are trying to convert it to like 720p because 265 doesnt transcode as well as 1080.

@LukeIt could also just be another field you set like "Title/Sort Title", if there was a "Multi Version Title" you can edit on the metadata I could just write a plugin to set it to whatever I want, and if its not set just default it to the file name or something if that makes life easier, it would also then allow people to customize it as they wish.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Spaceboy

do people still keep multiple versions of files for the purpose of only sharing the lower quality ones with remote users? With the significant improvements to emby transcoding in the last year or two i've found this to be uneccesary and only retain the highest quality i can find and allow emby to transcode as required.

keeping multiple versions seems to be an outdated approach to me

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

bakes82
19 hours ago, Spaceboy said:

do people still keep multiple versions of files for the purpose of only sharing the lower quality ones with remote users? With the significant improvements to emby transcoding in the last year or two i've found this to be uneccesary and only retain the highest quality i can find and allow emby to transcode as required.

keeping multiple versions seems to be an outdated approach to me

Remember emby isn't just here to support your "basic" home use setup, pretty sure they sell multi hundred device license packs, so while this might not be for you, those that keep mutli versions of files would much appreciate a customizable way.  Also, you just said you want to allow transcoding, others don't, and oh that's right, emby doesn't have an option to disable transcoding based on file type/codec/quality, so again, I still need to keep copies.  Emby also has built in support to create multi versions of the file so it seems like they really want you to keep multi versions and direct play files instead of transcoding.