External Player / HDR OS settings / Bitstreaming recommendations

ginjaninja

ginjaninja

Not normally one to gush but wow! this WMC client is good, better than good its bloody excellent! thank you and well done @softworkz(and team)

Love the fluidity of the UI, usability on mouse/keyboard and controller and the 'controllability' of the UI to make it do what you want. I may have to sacrifice my LG TVs working and move to the beta full time.

I've just updated my cinema room with an LS12000B (4K HDR10+ projector), modern AV Receiver and Win11/4090 (all HDMI 2.1). Does any one have any recommendations regarding any of the following.

• Turn on HDR in OS?
  • Configure External Player (MPC-HC+MadVR of any benefit?)
  • Benefit in Bitstreaming? (there are downsides in Other OS sounds not coming through)
  • any other suggestions?

(Content is varied up to and including 4K HDR TrueHD). I know i should probably do lots of comparisons and make up my own mind but perhaps someone can save me the time and tell me the answer(s) :-).

• Like 2

Emby Theater WMC uses MPV Player, which should give you all you need. 

External players are never integrated as good and as close like that, and I don't even know whether it's working with the WMC UI (never tested).

ginjaninja

Currently testing a couple of truehd capable AVRs and learnt something.

Allowing WMC to change refresh rate was important (to avoid judder) when AVR (display) was 60hz, at 120hz not an issue either way (maybe because 24 is a better factor of 120 than 60)

Some bit streaming truehd content was juddering exceptionally badly at 60hz..no issue at 120hz. (havent got to the bottom of this)

regarding bitstreaming vs pcm from what i can tell, if your device can handle the minimal decoding overhead and has HDMI then there is no benefit getting the AVR to decode. And PCM from PC has the benefit of allowing the PC to control sound and play other sound whilst not requiring any decoding capability in the receiver. Bitstreaming is more beneficial when you only have coaxial or other audio connections which dont have audio bandwidth of HDMI.

20 hours ago, softworkz said:

Emby Theater WMC uses MPV Player, which should give you all you need. 

External players are never integrated as good and as close like that, and I don't even know whether it's working with the WMC UI (never tested).

ok thanks wont bother with external player

• Agree 1

SikSlayer

I too have an LG, a CX OLED. I assume you have a C9 or more recent, or whatever else 120hz HDMI 2.1 from their offerings. That's the best for some of the reasons you mentioned, mainly the 120hz. Having that 'fixes' so many issues automagically.

ginjaninja
20 hours ago, SikSlayer said:

I too have an LG, a CX OLED. I assume you have a C9 or more recent, or whatever else 120hz HDMI 2.1 from their offerings. That's the best for some of the reasons you mentioned, mainly the 120hz. Having that 'fixes' so many issues automagically.

I dont have an LG 120hz but i do have an epson projector 120 hz.

Is your Oled connected to your PC as monitor? if so , do you have any findings/recommendations regarding HDR setting(s) in OS?

SikSlayer
3 hours ago, ginjaninja said:

Is your Oled connected to your PC as monitor? if so , do you have any findings/recommendations regarding HDR setting(s) in OS?

Yes, I set the input as PC, this 'unlocks' various options. I was waiting on a 'perfect' display once HDMI 2.1 was announced, and the C9 (once G-Sync was implemented) and up have fit that mold, minus the lack of DTS audio support, which they finally have in this years' line. Pretty much everything I wanted, feature wise. It allows for everything you listed, HDR support for all the HDR formats of note (minus HDR10+) bitstream audio, 120hz, etc.

That's partially what excites me about Emby WMC, its pretty much leverages it all, plus the best HTPC UI ever.