Dolby Vision Sub Type

rbjtech

rbjtech

Now that Emby (beta) gets the Dolby Vision Full profile information - can we get the Apps to show the ExtendedVideoSubtype if it exists rather than just say 'Dolby Vision' - which continues to cause confusion and frequent posts why media items do not play correctly - especially for DV Profile 5.

I've put the full list of DV possible configuration items below and what I would suggest the App displays instead of just 'Dolby Vision'

@softworkz I know you are thinking along these lines as well - anything you wish to add ?

Thanks

----

{
  "Items": [
    {
      "MediaSources": [
        {
          "MediaStreams": [

• HDR10

"ExtendedVideoType": "Hdr10",
              "ExtendedVideoSubtype": "Hdr10",

App display = HDR10

• Dolby Vison Profile 4.2

"ExtendedVideoType": "DolbyVision",
              "ExtendedVideoSubtype": "DoviProfile42",

App display = DolbyVision+SDR

• Dolby Vision Profile 5.0

"ExtendedVideoSubtype": "DoviProfile50",

App display = DolbyVision Only

• Dolby Vision Profile 7.6

"ExtendedVideoSubtype": "DoviProfile76",

• App display = DolbyVision+HDR10

• Dolby Vison Profile 8.1

"ExtendedVideoSubtype": "DoviProfile81",

App display = DolbyVision+HDR10

• Dolby Vison Profile 8.2

"ExtendedVideoSubtype": "DoviProfile82",

• Dolby Vison Profile 8.4

"ExtendedVideoSubtype": "DoviProfile84",

App display = DolbyVision+HLG

• Dolby Vison Profile 9.2

"ExtendedVideoSubtype": "DoviProfile84",

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

@softworkz I know you are thinking along these lines as well - anything you wish to add ?

I didn't check all the individual entries you've shown, but the ability to provide string representations (similar to yours) exists since the beginning. It's just the client which doesn't show it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

rbjtech

To add - it may also well be worth reporting if the title has 'dual layer' video - ie it has TWO video tracks.  1 being the BL (HDR10) and the other being the EL (DV).    As no software based player can play dual layer - then a 'rip' of this UHD disk will only ever play as HDR10.    Users will probably expect it to play as DV.   It won't ever do this until the dual video tracks have been merged into one with external tools.

This should maybe be detected (2 video tracks - the 2nd one saying it's DV) and a suitable message displayed - maybe HDR10 Only - or something like that.

• 1 month later...
rbjtech

@Luke   @softworkz

I note that the latest beta (.50 or .51) now has the Dolby profile listed in the mediainfo.

For the actual Apps to show this information (as per details in my original thread above) - do the Apps need to change, or is this information just extracted from the database as they still just show 'Dolby Vision'.

In the first example (DV8) below - i would love for the App to say 'Dolby Vision + HDR10' or maybe even 'Dolby Vision' and another tile saying 'HDR10' beside it.

Thanks !

DV8

image.png.013a45eb4e986f8de47112c6be65669f.png

DV5 -

image.png.c53de990abb94c5fa8209d9f0a5c0736.png

DV7

image.png.7011f6b01557143a1a9d96734c763e1f.png

Edited by rbjtech

49 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

For the actual Apps to show this information (as per details in my original thread above) - do the Apps need to change, or is this information just extracted from the database as they still just show 'Dolby Vision'.

The server provides this as a complete string to the clients via a new field in the API response.

Most apps will get this with the next update automatically. Some (which auto-update from app.emby.media) already have it, and special clients like Roku and ATV will need to be changed to show it.

Edited by softworkz
  • Thanks 1