Cannot update to 4.7.14.0 from 4.7.13.0

cgcmgr

cgcmgr

Hi everyone,

Experiencing an odd issue.  Just tried to update my Emby server from 4.7.13.0 to 4.7.14.0 and received the below error message.  I actually have duplicate Emby servers on my TrueNAS and I was able to update the second one without any issues.  As you can see from the attached picture, I'm on TrueNAS 12.  My steps are as follows.

1. Access the NAS shell

2. iocage console emby

3. Service emby-server stop

4pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.7.14.0/emby-server-freebsd12_4.7.14.0_amd64.pkg

That's where I get the error.

Any suggestions?

Chris

Emby Update Error.JPG

Hi, can you try downloading the pkg, and then just change your pkg add command to install from the downloaded file?

Please see if that works. Also if you're running a vpn maybe turn that off.

cgcmgr

Hi Luke,

I had already downloaded the file, but not sure how to point to it.  Can I have it on a drive on my Windows machine and point to it there or do I have to copy it to my NAS and point to it there?  I really not sure how to do this.

Also, no I have noticed the server is running very slowly since the attempt to update it.  Sometimes I can get to the settings and other times I cannot.  Sometimes I click on my Movies folder in Emby and the movies open, but most are missing pictures now.  If I try to add the movie to a collection, nothing happens.  Not sure what happened. 

If you can give me an example of where to copy the downloaded file to and what command to use, I'll give it a try.

Thaks,

Chris

cgcmgr

This is the method I have always used.

1. Go to the Shell in TrueNAS

2. iocage console emby

3. service emby-server stop

4. pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.7.13.0/emby-server-freebsd12_4.7.13.0_amd64.pkg

These are the steps I have always been following whenever I upgrade.  As I mentioned, I have two Emby servers on my NAS.  I have this just in case something goes wrong with the Emby server I normally use (like it just did).  This way I can still access all my media.  I have been updating both servers the same way, with the above steps.

On a side note, I do have backups of both Emby servers dating back to 8-19.  I also have a backup of the second server, that works, from yesterday as well.  Not sure if I could just copy that backup to the jail.  If that's something I can do, I'd like to try it.  Just not sure if I should just do a straight copy, or delete the Jail and create a new one and then install Emby and then copy the backup over.  Also, the bad Emby server has an IP of 192.168.2.183.  The good one is 192.168.2.181.  Would I be able to copy the backup of 192.168.2.181 to the the jail of the bad Emby server or would that cause an issue due to different IPs.  I'm thinking it wouldn't be an issue since the IP has to do with the jail and not the Emby server.

I use WinSCP to access my NAS.  If I decide to copy the backup of the server over, is there a special way to do this?  I ask because I tried to copy the download file to the NAS and received a permissions error.  Granted, I tried to copy it to iocage/jails/emby/root/var/db which I may not have write permissions to.  Is there a location I should be copying it to if I try to install the package for a downloaded location?

Chris

cgcmgr

Hello,

I just want to make things clearer for everyone in case it will help with a resolution to my issue.

As I stated in the original post, I cannot update Emby on TrueNAS 12 from 4.7.13.0 to 4.7.14.0.  You can see the command I used and the error I received.
I have two Emby servers on my NAS.  One is called Emby (from installing the Plugin) and the other is called emby-server from following the below process.

git clone -b truenas12 https://github.com/MediaBrowser/iocage-amd64.git     
     cd iocage-amd64
     iocage fetch -P emby-server.json dhcp="on" ip6="inherit" allow_mlock="on" --branch truenas12
     iocage set plugin_repository='https://github.com/MediaBrowser/iocage-amd64.git' emby-server.

I did this as I was having issues upgrading from 4.6.4.0 to 4.7.5.0 at one time and I was instructed to run this command.  All this did was create a new Emby server named emby-server, leaving me with two.  I finally fixed the issue with upgrading on the original server and decided to keep the second Emby server as a backup in case anything happens to my original server as it just did.

I have been using the below command on both servers to continually update them as new versions of Emby came out and have always been successful until recently.  Please note this failed on the original Emby server, but worked on the second.  The second one updated to 4.7.14.0 successfully.

pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.7.14.0/emby-server-freebsd12_4.7.14.0_amd64.pkg

I have been using WinSCP to access my NAS navigating to /iocage/jails/emby/root/var/db where I have downloaded the emby-server folder to my Windows computer.  I perform this backup for both Emby servers about once a month so that I have a recent backup in case I need to restore it.  I was thinking about copying the backed up emby-server folder back to my NAS hoping this will resolve the issue.  The problem I'm facing is, I'm not sure how to do this.  Anytime I try to copy something from my Windows computer to my NAS via WinSCP, I receive a permissions error message, see attached.  I'm basically just dragging the file to the location on WinSCP.  Is there another method I should be following to copy it back?

I also checked my Snapshots and noticed for some odd reason, it shows that I updated the jail with the "bad" Emby server on 8/27/2028 to version 12.3-RELEASE-p5 and then updated it to 12.3-RELEASE-p12 on the same day.  I know I did try to update it hoping it would correct the issue, but if I recall correctly, it was already on 12.3-RELEASE-p5.  Not sure why it is showing that it updated to p5 on that day.  What else is odd is that the other Emby server, emby-server, shows that it was updated to 12.3-RELEASE-p5 on 7-10-2023 and 7-13-2023, but is not showing that it ever updated tp 12.3-RELEASE-p12.  Please see the snapshot attachments for both Emby servers.  You can see from my Jails attachment that both Jails show 12.3-RELEASE-p12.  Not sure why the emby-server Jail doesn't show a snapshot of that update.

Would it make sense to rollback to Jail 12.3-RELEASE-p5 for the Emby server that is giving me issues?  Do you think that would help?

Lastly, I would be fine with deleting the Jail and starting over if I have to .  My question is, since the Emby server is the one that is having issues and was the one created by selecting the plugin in the plugins section in TrueNAS, if I delete the Emby Jail and create a new Jail and name it Emby, would the plugin option become available?  When I click on Plugins now, Emby no longer shows as a plugin option.  I'm guessing because I have installed it already.  I was also thinking about manually adding the Emby server using the below commands.  When I ran those commands in the past, they created a Jail named emby-server, as mentioned above and the problem is I already have a server named emby-server and I don't want to ruin it as it is my only working server at the moment.  Is there a way to name the new server to something different within the below commands?  Currently going to Edit on the existing Jails does not allow me to change the name as it is grayed out.

cd iocage-amd64
     iocage fetch -P emby-server.json dhcp="on" ip6="inherit" allow_mlock="on" --branch truenas12
     iocage set plugin_repository='https://github.com/MediaBrowser/iocage-amd64.git' emby-server.

Currently this server that is giving me issues loads, but not all the movie images show, but do load in eventually, like it's running very slowly.  If I go to my movies folder, sometimes I get just a black background.  A browser refresh usually resolves this and the movies show except for recently added movies.  They will not show an image even after a refresh.  These are movies that I added AFTER noticing the issue with the server.  If I go to the Settings, sometimes it loads fine and other times it doesn't.  It's just a white background with black lettering.  A refresh of the browser usually fixes this.  I can get to the Library and scan, but the metadata never reflects on the newly added movies.  If I try to play a movie, it starts for 3 seconds and then stops.

I know there is a lot of information here, but I figured the more information, the better of an understanding you will get about my issue and hopefully be able to provide a solution.

Thanks,
Chris

Permissions Error.JPG

Jails.JPG

Emby-Server Snapshot.JPG

Emby Snapshot.JPG

Edited by cgcmgr

cgcmgr

One more thing to add.  Sometimes when I refresh the browser, I receive a message that says Emby server is loading. Please try again shortly.  It's definitely like it is slow or something.

cgcmgr

I think I may have found the issue.  Looks like I do not have anymore space on my NAS.  This morning I wasn't able to access either of my Emby servers.  I couldn't even access the NAS drives via Windows Explorer.  I would click the drives and nothing would happen. Well, actually, if I let it sit long enough, the drives opened.  It even takes a long time for WINSCP top open now and it freezes not responding, but eventually gets to my NAS.  It's odd though, because I was able to get into everything last night and nothing has changed since.  Also, the working Emby server worked fine all yesterday, but I cannot access that either this morning.

I guess it's time to buy larger drives.  Do you guys think this is the issue?

Space Error.JPG

Used Space.JPG

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cgcmgr said:

I think I may have found the issue.  Looks like I do not have anymore space on my NAS.  This morning I wasn't able to access either of my Emby servers.  I couldn't even access the NAS drives via Windows Explorer.  I would click the drives and nothing would happen. Well, actually, if I let it sit long enough, the drives opened.  It even takes a long time for WINSCP top open now and it freezes not responding, but eventually gets to my NAS.  It's odd though, because I was able to get into everything last night and nothing has changed since.  Also, the working Emby server worked fine all yesterday, but I cannot access that either this morning.

I guess it's time to buy larger drives.  Do you guys think this is the issue?

Space Error.JPG

Used Space.JPG

Sounds very likely!

cgcmgr

I'll increase disk capacity.  Another weird thing is the Emby server that was working fine yesterday would not work this morning.  For IPv4 it showed ERROR rather than the IP address.  I just checked back now and it is showing the correct IP address.  I'm really hoping all these issues has to do with disk space.

I will be starting another thread tonight to ask a different question related to Emby.

JAIL.JPG.4fda0536b586a9c32c5e324b709e9f00.JPG

cgcmgr

So now I'm really clueless as to what's going on.  I just looked at a screen capture of my Pool that I took yesterday morning and it showed that I had 2.25 Tb free of space, so I doubt the issue with updating to 4.7.14.0 has anything to do with space as I had 2.25Tb free at the time of the attempted update.  Please see attached picture.

This morning both Emby servers were running slowly.  I would get the Emby splash screen and that was it.  I tried to access my NAS using WinSCP and it took about 2 minutes for WinSCP to open and another 2 minutes for the NAS info to load in the right pane.  I also was unable to open the media drives via Windows at first.  If I left it sit, they would eventually open.  I checked my NAS and now show only 5.34MB available.  I'm sure that's why everything is slow, but where did the 2.25TB go overnight?   I did add maybe 6 or so movies to my NAS yesterday, late afternoon, but that couldn't have totaled more than 100GB.  The only other thing I did was set up WinSCP to SHH into my NAS so that I can copy a backup of my Emby server to my NAS to try to fix my original issue of one of my Emby servers running very slowly.  I never did make that transfer though. As you can see, looking at the two attached pictures, the size of iocage, Media and Personal all are about the same size from yesterday to today.  How did ChrisNAS go from 8.16TB to 10.41TB?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Chris

Pools - 8-29.JPG

Pools - 8-30.JPG

cgcmgr

I have not.  Not quite sure how to find this out.  I did delete some data freeing up 4.28GB, so things move faster now and the working Emby loads without issue now.  The "bad" one still isn't working properly.  Is there a log file I can look at to see what happened between yesterday and today?

What I did find out is that using WinSCP, I navigate to mnt/ChrisNAS and see root, Personal, Media and iocage.  Clicking on iocage and then jails, I see my two Emby servers as I should.  However, if I navigate to mnt/ChrisNAS/root I see emby-server. Clicking into it, it seems like another Emby server.  Should that be there?  I doubt that is taking up the additional space, but I was just wondering what that is.

So again, is there a log file I can check that may have told me what data got added between yesterday and this morning?

Chris

Hey Luke,

Sorry, I must have missed your post about the server log.

I was able to work with a Truenas.com forum member and he was able to assist me in getting my lost space back.  It was indeed what I had written above regarding the root/emby-server folder copying to the root of ChrisNAS.  We deleted it and I got al of my missing space back.

Regrading the "bad" server, I went ahead and deleted the jail leaving me with just one working Emby server which I guess is fine.  I started recursive weekly snapshots for this jail in case I have this issue again.  

As far as getting you a server log, I do have a backup of ChrisNAS/iocage/jails/emby/var/db/emby-server.  Would it be within that emby-server folder?  If so, I can get it toy you.

One more question.  I do like having two Emby Servers on my NAS, one as a backup of sorts.  Now that I deleted the jail and only have one Emby Server, my question is, since the Emby server that is having issues and was the one created by selecting the plugin in the plugins section in TrueNAS, if I delete the Emby Jail, as I did, and create a new Jail and name it Emby or whatever, would the plugin option become available?  When I click on Plugins now, Emby no longer shows as a plugin option.  I was also thinking about manually adding the second Emby Jail with Emby in it using the below commands.  When I ran those commands in the past, they created a Jail named emby-server, the one I'm using now.  I don't want to ruin it by running those commands as it is my only working server at the moment.  I'm afraid it may create another Jail wiith the same name and there would be a conflict.  Is there a way to name the second server to something different within the below commands?  Currently going to Edit on the existing Jail does not allow me to change the name as it is grayed out.  Would it be as easy as just changing emby-server at the end of the last command to something else?

cd iocage-amd64

Thanks,

Chrs

• 2 weeks later...

and create a new Jail and name it Emby or whatever, would the plugin option become available? 

Can you try creating a new jail and seeing if it shows up for install there?

I have created a new Jail named TEST and when I go to plugins the attached is all I see.  No Emby.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong.  How do I check if it shows up for install in the new Jail?  Is it more than just going to Plugins?

Plugins.JPG

Yes, all set.  Collections are working again.  I do have a question about adding a second Emby Jail to my NAS.  I'd Like to have two, sort of a backup in case one dies, like my original one did.  The one I'm using now was created via this command:

cd iocage-amd64

My original Emby server was created by going to Plugins in TrueNAS 12 and selecting the Emby plugin.  At first I couldn't find it, but didn't realize I had to select Community Plugins.  I see Emby there now.  Can I just choose it and will it create a new Jail with Emby in it?  Also, which plugin do I choose?  I see two for Emby, see attached.

If you want me to start a new thread for this question I will.

Thanks,

Chris

Capture.JPG