Direct playback problem with 4K UHD Dolby Atmos full bitrate disc rips

ShoutingMan
Go to solution Solved by ShoutingMan,

rbjtech
1 hour ago, hjason7812 said:

I beg to differ with this statement, because emby doesn't play dolby visionnat all it for some reason transcodes it in hevc codec and dolby vision isn't hevc I rip my uhd movies via make mkv and it's supposed to rip dolby vision and dolby atmos. Dolby atmos is the true HD 7.1 sound but if you use media info program it shows the audio as 16 channel disguised as 7.1. I think that's why most players don't like dolby atmos nor dolby vision. 

It's really hurting my brain trying to figure out how to make dolby vision play on emby. I'm trying something new right now where I run the uhd rip through my high end encoder to make it mp4 but leave everything else the way it is and see if that works. 

Because mkv movie files and emby don't play nice because of the size I'm assuming because tvshows in mkv do awesome because those aren't 100gb's of data trying to play obviously.. 

Lets start with the basics - what emby playback client do you have - what is the playback equipment/hardware you are trying to use ?

The reason I ask is you are ripping UHD physical disks -  that will produce a Dolby Visio Profile 7 format - see below.

Only the Nvidia Shield Pro (that I know of) will play these via an MKV, other players such as the LG client will play these via the MP4 or TS container - but that has nothing to do with the way MakeMKV creates the files.

The most compatible way to play DV Profile 7 - is to convert it to DV Profile 8.   ;)

This requires an extra step - using some free tools, to do the conversion. 

--

From a 'MediaInfo' on the ripped output file - look for DV Info - I suspect all yours will be dvhe.07.06 ..

Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.05.06, BL+RPU
Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible 
Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU, HDR10 compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible 

--

HD Audio is another thing which you need to cater for.    If you want True-HD with Atmos, then you need a device capable of a) playing it  and b) a client that passes it through.  Again, Nvidia Shield Pro does this...   If you don't have the equipment - then your best bet is stick with AC3/Dolby Digital (native track, usually embedded on the physical disk, part of the Blu-Ray standard, so needs to be there - but this will not have Atmos.)    If you want 'Atmos' (in quotes) without the proper equipment to play it, then you'll need EAC3/Dolby Digital Plus - which is non-HD compressed audio and effectively fake Atmos - matrixed object sounds mapped onto a normal 5.1 or 7.1 channels ...  Not typically available on a UHD disk ... :(

In summary - Getting your UHD disk to play outside a UHD disk player with all it's technical capabilities is not 'easy' without knowledge and suitable equipment  to do so.

Edited by rbjtech

all4dom

Does anyone here use dvd fab? I just purchased a uhd drive and am about to embark down the uhd path & will be using fab.