Emby won't load (Forbidden error) when connected to Synology via VPN

emby10014914

emby10014914

I have an odd networking issue in that I can connect to my synology NAS through OpenVPN, I can access the web portal for the NAS fine, I can mount network shares, and even remote desktop to my PC through that, but when I try to open the Emby web interface I get a "Forbidden" error. I'm trying to access http://192.168.1.200:8096/web/index.html (where 192.168.1.200 is the local address of my Synology NAS). Any ideas on how to fix this?

HI there, if i had to guess, you probably configured network settings in emby server that are causing this. Have you customized any options there?

emby10014914
9 hours ago, Luke said:

HI there, if i had to guess, you probably configured network settings in emby server that are causing this. Have you customized any options there?

I think so, but I'm not local to the server at the moment. Is there a way I can reset the network settings without already being able to log in to Emby? I can access the files... Otherwise I can wait until I'm next to it again. I tried quite a bit to try to get Emby accessible from other places but haven't been able to do it so it wouldn't surprise me if some of those are changed.

emby10014914
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Perhaps disabling the vpn if possible or remoting into the nas somehow? 

I'm remoting into the NAS now - so that's the context of the error. If I disable VPN then I would be locking myself out... I was wondering if there are any files I could use to reset the networking settings without logging into Emby, or what should I be looking for when I am able to be there physically and log in?

@emby10014914 Try shutting down the server, then locate the server's data folder:

Emby Server Data Folder

From there open up the /config/system.xml file. I would make sure EnableRemoteAccess is set to true.

Additionally, try removing the entire LocalNetworkAddresses and LocalNetworkSubnets nodes, if they are present. Make sure to backup this file first before attempting to startup the server.

If you start the server and get redirected to the server startup wizard, it's due to the file being malformed xml, so shutdown, restore from your backup and try again.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.