Google TV playback suddenly struggles with bitrates above 10mbps

Nebarik

Nebarik

This is a very weird one that I don't get. Maybe someone has encountered the same issue and can shed some light. 

I very recently have had to move my Emby media server from the cloud to my PC. Previously my setup was like this:
Server > 100mbps internet > wifi > Google TV 4K = Worked totally fine. Would play 50mbps 4k stuff fine. 

But I moved it to my PC and it just can't handle it locally for some reason.
PC > gigabit lan > wifi 6 > Google TV 4K = Any stream over 10mbps (basically most 1080p content) and it pauses, stutters, or just refuses to display video. 
Other devices on my wifi like my android phone or laptop; plays totally fine. 
I've also tried both the Emby docker image and the Windows install. Same results. 

The only other change I can think of is the change from a https:443 url connection to a http:8096 lan ip connection. Could that be it? I'm so confused. 

For the record, the wifi router is in the same room right next to everything. I've gone through all the settings in the server, router, and google tv. the test files im using are all direct playing h264 off of a SSD, no transcoding. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

Edited by Nebarik

Nebarik

I've worked it out. The bitrate limit was more of a coincidence and red herring. It ended up actually being the container conversion. 

I had transcoding disabled on purpose, but kept changing container formats enabled. My usual setup. 
It worked fine from the Linux server. But for whatever reason Windows (both install and docker) causes all sorts of problems when changing the container for a Google TV specifically. 

I dont know why it's so different, maybe ffmpeg has a bug on Windows?
But now that I have plenty of horsepower I just enabled transcoding. Not my ideal setup but it's working now I guess. 

• Thanks 1