Android TV vs std app player

justinrh

justinrh

What media player does the ATV app use?  What player does the std app (when installed on ATV OS) use?

FrostByte
1 hour ago, justinrh said:

What media player does the ATV app use?  What player does the std app (when installed on ATV OS) use?

Both apps use a version Google's Exoplayer modified by Emby.  Though both apps may not be on the same build.  You can see the Exoplayer version in the server log though.

• Like 1

justinrh

Thanks.  So when someone has a playback issue with ATV, why doesn't Emby (Luke, that is) suggest pulling the beta ATV app?  Well, he doesn't suggest the beta std app, either.  It seems out of place to suggest trying a non-ATV app on ATV when Emby has an ATV app.

I guess I never understood the big diff between them.  If the player in std was so great, and it was the same player as in ATV, then put the newer build player in ATV and let people enjoy.

It's good to hear that both will use the same Exo build when released.

Edited by justinrh

6 hours ago, justinrh said:

Thanks.  So when someone has a playback issue with ATV, why doesn't Emby (Luke, that is) suggest pulling the beta ATV app?  Well, he doesn't suggest the beta std app, either.  It seems out of place to suggest trying a non-ATV app on ATV when Emby has an ATV app.

I guess I never understood the big diff between them.  If the player in std was so great, and it was the same player as in ATV, then put the newer build player in ATV and let people enjoy.

It's good to hear that both will use the same Exo build when released.

Hi it's not that simple. Over time the server will evolve and naturally you'll expect the Emby apps to keep up. On android this is currently a duplicated effort, which ends up slowing us down in other areas. The android tv app is actually already behind, but probably just not in ways that you've noticed yet.

rbjtech
On 27/07/2023 at 06:43, Luke said:

Hi it's not that simple. Over time the server will evolve and naturally you'll expect the Emby apps to keep up. On android this is currently a duplicated effort, which ends up slowing us down in other areas. The android tv app is actually already behind, but probably just not in ways that you've noticed yet.

..and in other ways the Android App is far behind - so pick your poison .. ;)

• Agree 2

• 3 months later...
justinrh

I've been testing a 480p TS file for this issue with the latest std app arm7 public build on my Shield.  The std app player is trash!  The video quality is terrible.  Right, it is 480p on a 4k screen, but ATV does a good job and it looks okay.

Even the audio won't play in the std app when it gets to the freeze point.  (Hmm, don't know, that could be a good thing.)

I also notice that reaction time is slower in the std app (e.g., press play and there is a slight delay that ATV does not have).  The touch UI look still looks goofy on a TV.

Edited by justinrh

Audiomixer

Why not try the arm8 (arm64) version? Also the upscaling setting if using ai upscaling on shield can make some 480 stuff look pretty bad. I limit upscaling on 480 stuff to enhanced only on the shield. I also use android beta which can be set to allow shield to handle upscaling rather than emby passing it through allowing the tv to handle. The beta now has those settings as ATV does.

The beta standard app is way ahead of the public release on this issue.

Edited by Audiomixer

justinrh

Arm8 failed to install.  I don't have a Shield Pro.  I use the same upscaling (Enhanced) with both apps 😉

Audiomixer

Non pro shield. That explains the use of arm7. Are you using the beta or standard app?

Edited by Audiomixer

Audiomixer

So not sure what version that actually is (probably 3.2.75) but i am running beta 3.3.42 and it has been up to par with ATV at least in terms of file playback.

Edited by Audiomixer

15 hours ago, justinrh said:

The touch UI look still looks goofy on a TV.

It's not a touch UI. In TV display mode, it is a TV UI.

Also both of our android apps use the same underlying player, it's just that the standard app usually has a newer version.

civyemby

Just a small feedback. I totally understand issues in having multiple codebases. Having tried both the standard app and the TV app on Shield, I prefer to use the TV app. It's quick and responsive.

8 hours ago, civyemby said:

Just a small feedback. I totally understand issues in having multiple codebases. Having tried both the standard app and the TV app on Shield, I prefer to use the TV app. It's quick and responsive.

Hi. Isn’t the standard app also quick and responsive?

civyemby
On 11/6/2023 at 7:49 PM, Luke said:

Hi. Isn’t the standard app also quick and responsive?

Well.... The ATV app is snappy, thumbnails load in miliseconds. In the standard app the navigation on TV does not feel as snappy. Thumbnails load in about a second. First the outlines load for the new row, then the system loads the thumbnails. And it is noticable, especially if you use both side by side. This on Shield, that is more capable TV machine than others built-in.

• Agree 4

rbjtech
8 hours ago, civyemby said:

Well.... The ATV app is snappy, thumbnails load in miliseconds. In the standard app the navigation on TV does not feel as snappy. Thumbnails load in about a second. First the outlines load for the new row, then the system loads the thumbnails. And it is noticable, especially if you use both side by side. This on Shield, that is more capable TV machine than others built-in.

Agree here - the Android TV App still has what I consider a reasonable performance/usability/experience advantage over the standard app especially on older hardware - and that includes the shield pro.   Usage of scrolling, selecting items, building screens etc just seems a lot more 'fluid' on ATV than with the standard app.     

I don't know if Android TV is doing something special here at a 'TV' level (maybe scaling better etc) - but the standard app makes you feel like you are using a 'slow' computer on a large screen (a very 'binary, watch the screen build' experience), while ATV has the screen 'pre-built' and thus displays it as such, making it 'appear' faster ....    

It's difficult to explain in writing ... 🤪

• Agree 2