video freezes but audio continues for recorded TV

justinrh

justinrh

This is something that seems to have started fairly recently for movies I record off of TV then play on my SHIELD TV.  At certain, repeatable (but unique) points in the video, the screen freezes and you hear the audio continue.  You can FF one click and the video recovers.  Converting to MP4 may or may not fix it.  Playing the video with VLC on Windows shows no problem.

Is this just aberrations in the OTA recording?  It happens a few times per movie and seems to be every movie, but it did not used to happen.

I sent an ATV app log at 4:22pm EST, user home.

embyserver.txt

Gilgamesh_48

There are things about the Shield TV that I like a lot but Emby's functionality on the Shield, either client or server, is woefully lacking.

I have seen the problem you describe and I really never resolved it.
Even though my Shield is the most powerful and most expensive client device I own it is also the one I use least for anything Emby related.

My suggestion is to retire your Shield and get a client that has better performance. I use Roku and a Fire Stick. If you use the Shield as your server i believe you will be happier if you get a basic computer and install Emby on that. I still have server problems from time to time but the number and severity of the problems is greatly reduced after retiring the Shield.

justinrh

Thanks for the infos.  I don't think I would ever consider the Shield for a server.  Client only.

Gilgamesh_48
44 minutes ago, justinrh said:

Thanks for the infos.  I don't think I would ever consider the Shield for a server.  Client only.

Even as a client the Shield behaves weirdly I just get slightly irradiated when I try to use the Shield as a client and it has little "glitches."  While no glitch is really bad I find I see or hear enough of them during playback that I get gradually more and more irritated and that is not good for this old man.

My blood pressure gradually increases and that is not good for me. I do get some glitches on my Fire stick and my Rokus but those glitches are smaller and much less irritating that the one on my Shield.

If given a choice I would use my Rokus for everything but there are a few things it just does not handle well that the Fire stick does.

I think it has been at least a month since I used my Shield for Emby and that time almost caused me to smash the Shield.

Spaceboy
12 hours ago, justinrh said:

This is something that seems to have started fairly recently for movies I record off of TV then play on my SHIELD TV.  At certain, repeatable (but unique) points in the video, the screen freezes and you hear the audio continue.  You can FF one click and the video recovers.  Converting to MP4 may or may not fix it.  Playing the video with VLC on Windows shows no problem.

Is this just aberrations in the OTA recording?  It happens a few times per movie and seems to be every movie, but it did not used to happen.

I sent an ATV app log at 4:22pm EST, user home.

embyserver.txt 97.13 kB · 0 downloads

see this occasionally. it has nothing to do with the shield

• 2 weeks later...
justinrh

Do you mean with the same movies I've already seen it happen with?  Yes.  If you mean new movies since I created this post, then I'll have to let you know after I watch one.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
justinrh

Still freezes at the same spots using the web app, and it even has to transcode.

justinrh

Yep.  Saw it last it this weekend.  And "yes" to the next time you will ask.  Just getting ahead a step  😉

• 3 weeks later...
justinrh
On 5/1/2023 at 5:17 PM, justinrh said:

And "yes" to the next time you will ask.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
justinrh

Luke, I know you are going to ask again soon, so here the answer:  Yes.  I'm still experiencing the issue.

We watched two recorded movies last night and it was terrible with multiple pauses in both.

Luke, what actual action or investigation you have done with this problem?

• 2 weeks later...
justinrh

@ebrplease look at app log for user home @ 6:51pm ET.  Live TV froze (3X in 20min) just like recordings do.

Where do you want me to upload a video?  (Luke would have to ask after I gave up waiting on him to respond and I deleted example vids 🤦‍♂️)

• Haha 1