Cover Art plugin

hstamas

blgentry

Yes.  I removed the plugin, restarted Emby.  Added the plugin, restarted Emby.  My settings were retained. Including preserve aspect ratio.  I did a few tests, then downloaded the log and posted it here.

If there's something else I should try, please let me know.

Thanks,

Brian.

blgentry

For reference here are some examples of what Air Force One looks like with Case, Clear Case, and Side Case.

I hope the aspect change is obvious from these examples.

Screenshot2023-08-30at12_15_10PM.png.1d82d69b73e158d8fb02b516d0422cee.pngScreenshot2023-08-30at12_14_52PM.png.6bad7e591547e3a8b0565e53ebb73db5.pngScreenshot2023-08-30at12_14_33PM.png.acf7d0565821142ea77f13ac6e3fd39a.png

Thanks again,

Brian.

Edited by blgentry

1 hour ago, Luke said:

Can you provide a new log example after having removed cover art? Thanks.

He reinstalled it again.  He's trying to get CoverArt treatments but with the original art aspect.

@blgentryplease try refreshing one of those items with the "replace images" option.  Alternatively, you can delete the "enhanced-images" folder under your image cache on the server.

blgentry
1 hour ago, ebr said:

@blgentryplease try refreshing one of those items with the "replace images" option.  Alternatively, you can delete the "enhanced-images" folder under your image cache on the server.

I just did the following:

1.  Deleted emby-server/cache/images/enhanced-images

2.  Reinstalled Cover Art Plugin.

3.  Restarted Emby server

4. Changed to "Side Case" style.  Observed an aspect ratio problem.

5.  Refreshed metadata with "replace images" on Air Force One.

6.  Changed case style back and forth and observed the aspect problem.

In process I lost my chosen cover art.  It pulled down some sort of automatic selection for this title.  I replaced that with the image I like. Then I tried changing case styles again and still saw the aspect ratio problem.

Let me know if there's something else I should do.

Brian.

vaise

I want to differentiate dolby video from normal 4k content.  Emby knows, so I want different covers.

I posted this :

Is it doable ?

20 hours ago, blgentry said:

I just did the following:

1.  Deleted emby-server/cache/images/enhanced-images

2.  Reinstalled Cover Art Plugin.

3.  Restarted Emby server

4. Changed to "Side Case" style.  Observed an aspect ratio problem.

5.  Refreshed metadata with "replace images" on Air Force One.

6.  Changed case style back and forth and observed the aspect problem.

In process I lost my chosen cover art.  It pulled down some sort of automatic selection for this title.  I replaced that with the image I like. Then I tried changing case styles again and still saw the aspect ratio problem.

Let me know if there's something else I should do.

Brian.

And you are positive you turned on this option in the profile that is being used for this item?

image.png

Do you see any difference at all if you uncheck it?

17 hours ago, vaise said:

Is it doable ?

Not without you physically separating those items such that you could use a CA profile to treat them differently - or I guess use tags for a specific cover.  However, there are no DV-aware covers or options at this time.  Its on our list for future enhancements.

blgentry
7 minutes ago, ebr said:

And you are positive you turned on this option in the profile that is being used for this item?

Do you see any difference at all if you uncheck it?

I just double checked and it was set.  I unchecked and rechecked the option and tested.  It still squashes the aspect.  I only have one Cover Art plugin profile:  default.

Have you tested this feature?  Does it work on your system?

Thanks,

Brian.

Screenshot 2023-08-31 at 12.13.37 PM.png

Edited by blgentry

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, sorry for the runaround.  I think I know what is going on here.  It is actually the app that is distorting your images in order to make them uniform.  If you find the actual original images in the "enhanced-images" folder in your image cache, you should find that the aspect is correct. 

blgentry
2 hours ago, ebr said:

It is actually the app that is distorting your images in order to make them uniform.  If you find the actual original images in the "enhanced-images" folder in your image cache, you should find that the aspect is correct. 

Does this suggest some sort of action to fix it?

At the moment I'm pretty happy with the "case" and "box set" treatments, neither of which do an aspect change.  I would welcome the opportunity to test the other cases if and when this issue gets fixed.

Thanks,

Brian.

34 minutes ago, blgentry said:

Does this suggest some sort of action to fix it?

At the moment I'm pretty happy with the "case" and "box set" treatments, neither of which do an aspect change.  I would welcome the opportunity to test the other cases if and when this issue gets fixed.

Thanks,

Brian.

Right now it’s not something that’s easily changed, so we’re bouncing around ideas.

Multiverse

Hi,

I just detected that the collection poster doesn't show the "disc counter" if there are more than 3 movies inside it. Is it a bug or is there any option I have to activate?

Thanks a lot!

GrimReaper
50 minutes ago, Multiverse said:

Hi,

I just detected that the collection poster doesn't show the "disc counter" if there are more than 3 movies inside it. Is it a bug or is there any option I have to activate?

Thanks a lot!

Sorry not following, having no issues showing 6 discs (max) on 6(+) items collections? Which server version? 

blgentry

My collections seem to show the number of movies in each collection with one cd image on top of the poster per movie.  This works up to 6 for me.  My one collection with 7 (Harry Potter) does not work though.  It shows 5 cds for some reason.  I'm using the "Case CD" treatment.  It might be different for others.  In fact, I only turned that on a minute ago to test.  I'm turning it back off because it's not my thing visually.  I just posted to give some data.

Brian.

Multiverse

My actual server version is 4.8.0.46 Beta,  and my Treatment for BoxSets is MetroCaseCDs!

Edited by Multiverse

• 4 weeks later...
blgentry
On 9/9/2023 at 10:31 AM, ebr said:

Okay, sorry for the runaround.  I think I know what is going on here.  It is actually the app that is distorting your images in order to make them uniform.  If you find the actual original images in the "enhanced-images" folder in your image cache, you should find that the aspect is correct. 

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to find a particular image in the enhanced images cache directory.  They all have random file names and do not appear to be in any order I can figure out.  But let's move past that.

The web app shows the same distortion.  The native Mac desktop app shows it.  The Android app shows it.   So does the IOS app.  Strangely, it seems like the AndroidTV app actually shows the correct aspect ratio.  So are all of the apps I listed "broken"?

Thanks,

Berian.

1 hour ago, blgentry said:

So are all of the apps I listed "broken"?

No they are not broken.  As mentioned previously, they are adjusting the display to be uniform.  The Android TV app uses a native presentation that allows different aspect items in the same row.  Most of the other presentations don't work well with that so they normalize them if they are very close.

it seems like the AndroidTV app actually shows the correct aspect ratio

This proves that it is not CoverArt distorting the images.

blgentry

So what is the answer here?  The apps are doing their best, but are all still wrong?

It sounds like perhaps this doesn't matter to the developers or to very many other people.  I'll just leave this alone now.  I'l bring it back up if there's something that really impacts my Emby experience.

Brian.

On 10/7/2023 at 11:04 AM, blgentry said:

So what is the answer here?  The apps are doing their best, but are all still wrong?

It sounds like perhaps this doesn't matter to the developers or to very many other people.  I'll just leave this alone now.  I'l bring it back up if there's something that really impacts my Emby experience.

Brian.

The client apps would have to add their own options to never stretch to fill images into their containers.

blgentry
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

The client apps would have to add their own options to never stretch to fill images into their containers.

...and is that not a desirable behavior?  Both you and EBR keep referring to the apps as if they are not something you control.  Perhaps I'm simply misinterpreting your meaning, but it seems like you are both saying you can't change it, which confuses me since they are Emby products.  Perhaps it's just a very low priority?  I'm open to the idea that I'm on the only Emby user that might care, but even that is quite surprising.

Thanks,

Brian.

42 minutes ago, blgentry said:

Perhaps it's just a very low priority?

Hi ,yes this is how I would describe it. The problem that you're seeing is that Emby apps will generally stretch images into their contains so that everything looks uniform. Without that you end up seeing something like this:

image.png

Notice how the second and third one don't fill. So the vast majority of the time this stretching is desirable behavior. The only exception is that sometimes there are certain cover art treatments where you may not want this.

blgentry

I'm advocating for scaling and cropping an image rather than a non-proportional stretch.  What do you think of that?

Thanks,

Brian.

roaku

I'm advocating for scaling and cropping an image rather than a non-proportional stretch.  What do you think of that?

Thanks,

Brian.

I think that might lead to more of these complaints: