Why does my sorting keep changing?

rb9999

rb9999

In the last few days, the sorting of my movie collection has changed several times.  I think it first happened after the latest update.

My movies are sorted by Date Added, newest to oldest.  So yesterday I noticed that many of the movies I added months ago were ahead of movies I added recently.  And today, I noticed that the sorting that existed yesterday is completely different from todays sort.  The only difference is that one movie was added.

I like to have my newest additions at the front of the list and now they are all over.

In looking at the metadata, something happened on 7/4 at appx 6:30pm as all the movies show an added date of 7/4 now.  Not sure how that happened.

I am running Emby in a Docker container on a Synology NAS.  I did upgrade to DSM 7.2 lately, but I don't remember the date.  I wonder if that had something to do with it.  Is there any way for me to manually tag a file time attribute so that I can impose some type of sorting on these movies?  I would like certain ones to be at the top.

In looking at the metadata, something happened on 7/4 at appx 6:30pm as all the movies show an added date of 7/4 now.

HI, what metadata exactly are you referring to? Can you please provide a specific example? Thanks.

rb9999

Sorry, the date added metadata.  I see a note saying to look at library settings to see how this date is determined.  Mine is set to "use date scanned into library."  Other setting is "use file creation date."  Nothing happens when I change it. The note under this one says if there is a value present it will be used 8nstead of this.  So I think since there is a value present, changing this makes no difference.

If tried to clear the date from the metadata it comes right back. 

17 minutes ago, rb9999 said:

Sorry, the date added metadata. 

Where in the metadata editor? Do you have any plugins installed called Time Lord by any chance?

rb9999

In the Android Phone version, click on a movie, click 3 dot menu and then choose Edit Metadata.  It appears it can be edited or cleared.

Also, no, I am not using that plugin.

14 hours ago, rb9999 said:

Mine is set to "use date scanned into library."

Hi.  So, with that setting, it sounds like the connection to your media (perhaps at the file system level) was lost at some point (on 7/4) and then re-acquired later which caused these items to be removed and re-added.  Because you have this set to "when scanned into library" that changed their added dates.  If you change that setting, if this ever happens again, that won't happen as the files will determine the dates.

Also, if you select the option to save data into an NFO file next to the media, that should preserve added dates.

So right now we're just speculating on what the cause of this might be, and Ebr has pointed out one possible reason. Other possible reasons are a plugin you installed or some other software doing something. Users constantly set these sorts of things up and then later forget that they did that and end up with unexpected outcomes like this.

The best thing to do is, if you can catch it in the act when the problem occurs, then please provide us with the emby server log:

Thanks.