Spinning Circle - TRUEHD audio 7.1 help please

Robnaeyaert

Robnaeyaert

Hello Emby

I need your help please. 
I just upgraded my home cinema with a Samsung 75” QLED frame TV and a Samsung Q990C 11.1.4 Soundbar. 
I am running Emby on the TV and the server is a NUC. 
I wanted to test the audio out and loaded media (below picture shows Dr Strange with TRUEHD audio 7.1. 

My problem is after around 10 minutes of play I get the “spinning circle” on the movie and I need to stop it and replay it and it works again for another 10 minutes then the spinning circle arrives. 

I’m not sure if I’ve missed a setting or if this is maxing out my setup - I’m just trying to achieve the best video/audio I can. The movie sounds awesome it just gets the circle and won’t come back until I drop it. 

I’m hoping someone has an easy fix or setting I can try. 

thanks.  Rob. 

586B411D-CB68-4611-97F1-0CC8C532D03D.jpeg

FrostByte

Why not select an audio format which is compatible with your TV before clicking play?  Sounds like it's buffering from all the transcoding.

Robnaeyaert
21 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Why not select an audio format which is compatible with your TV before clicking play?  Sounds like it's buffering from all the transcoding.

I did notice when I selected 5.1 it was smooth. However as mentioned I’m trying to get the best audio experience with the new soundbar.

Is this a limitation of the TV or is there a way to increase the buffer please?  Is there a setting I’m missing?

FrostByte

Your not getting the best quality though.  Look at your picture.  Emby is converting your TrueHD Atmos file down to AC3 384 kbps.  Most UHD movies have at least a 640 kbps AC3 file for compatibility which will be better than that. You could even create a EAC3 7.1 at 1024 kbps for all your 4K movies when using the Samsung app.

Yes, when running apps from the TV itself you are restricted to what internal apps support.

Take a look at your users manual.  In the back you should see a chart something like the one in the link below.

2021 TV Video Specifications | Samsung Developers

You'll notice it also doesn't support DTS-HD/DTS:X.  

For HD audio your best bet is getting something like a Shield and plugging it into the HDMI input on your soundbar.

My setup :

nVidia SHield -->  Soundbar --> Samsung TV

Robnaeyaert
14 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Your not getting the best quality though.  Look at your picture.  Emby is converting your TrueHD Atmos file down to AC3 384 kbps.  Most UHD movies have at least a 640 kbps AC3 file for compatibility which will be better than that. You could even create a EAC3 7.1 at 1024 kbps for all your 4K movies when using the Samsung app.

Yes, when running apps from the TV itself you are restricted to what internal apps support.

Take a look at your users manual.  In the back you should see a chart something like the one in the link below.

2021 TV Video Specifications | Samsung Developers

You'll notice it also doesn't support DTS-HD/DTS:X.  

For HD audio your best bet is getting something like a Shield and plugging it into the HDMI input on your soundbar.

My setup :

nVidia SHield -->  Soundbar --> Samsung TV

Ok so this might be just my newbie error on the TV settings?  I have a 2022 Samsung Frame and I looked up the settings and there is a Dolby Atmos setting for the audio. 
As I’m running Emby Taizen on my TV does that app look at thebTV settings and as you pointed out “transcodes” down to my TV settings for the audio?  I just assumed the Emby app would pass the TRUEHD 7.1 signal to the soundbar to decode and play?
Am I on the right track? 

FrostByte

That Dolby Atmos is probably Dolby Digital Plus w/Atmos.  The kind you get from online streaming services like Disney+.  That your TV can play. 

The Frame may be able to passthrough TrueHD (in from another device and then out to another), but in order to play TrueHD from an app installed on your TV it needs a decoder.  That chart in the back of your users manual will list all the codecs it supports.

As a test you can try disabling transcoding on the server.  If it plays then the devs can take a look at changing it so it doesn't transcode.  However, right now the app pretty much follows what that chart says and transcodes what isn't supported.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Luke may still wish to see that other stuff (logs, etc) if you can upload.  He may be able figure out why it's acting funny.   However, this problem isn't uncommon with HD audio and movies of high bitrate and the Samsung app.

From a users point of view though why even bother with transcoding.  If you already have a compatible audio track why make the server try to convert it on the fly, especially when you already have something of better quality without converting.

BTW: PGS format subtitles is another which causes the Samsung app to buffer a lot.  Best to have text format subs like srt when using Samsung app.

• Like 1

SamES

As @FrostBytehas mentioned, on Samsung avoid transcoding and pick an audio track that is suppported. Uncompressed TrueHD, ATMOS and DTS are not supported only compressed TrueHD/eac

Best to use a high quality supported audio track like ac3 that is built in rather than having the server produce a lower quality one 

• Like 1

Robnaeyaert
4 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Luke may still wish to see that other stuff (logs, etc) if you can upload.  He may be able figure out why it's acting funny.   However, this problem isn't uncommon with HD audio and movies of high bitrate and the Samsung app.

From a users point of view though why even bother with transcoding.  If you already have a compatible audio track why make the server try to convert it on the fly, especially when you already have something of better quality without converting.

BTW: PGS format subtitles is another which causes the Samsung app to buffer a lot.  Best to have text format subs like srt when using Samsung app.

Ok sorry now I’m confused. 
Are you saying it’s the Emby Samsung app (Taizen) that is limiting the audio as the server is forced to transcode?  
I looked at the TV settings and they are all set to “Atmos” and Auto (tries PCM and Pass-through) etc. 

I can pop the logs up for Luke but is this a limitation of the Samsung Emby app?

SORRY IM A NEWBIE. 

FrostByte

The Samsung app knows what your TV supports.  It kind of goes by the year your TV was made, but basically the supported codecs don't change much from year to year.  If you try to play something which isn't supported, then the Samsung app requests that the server convert whatever isn't supported before streaming it to your TV.  Whether it be the subtitle, audio, or video track.

It's a limitation of your TV.  Same with any hardware client you buy.  If the hardware doesn't support the codec, then Emby server will transcode in order for you to play your movie.

FrostByte

Again, as a test you can try to turn transcoding off at the server and see what happens.  The app will request a transcode, but the server will just pass everything without transcoding because you told it not to.  Then your TV should pop up a message saying the file is not compatible.  

FrostByte

Remember there are two types of Atmos.  TrueHD Atmos which is uncompressed and Dolby Digital Plus Atmos which is compressed.  All Samsungs support DD+ Atmos, but not TrueHD Atmos.

Your Soundbar may support TrueHD Atmos, but that's because you can hook a UHD player or some other device to the HDMI input of the soundbar and watch movies that way.  That's what I do with my Shield.  But then the app is running on my Shield and not the TV (it's only passed the video).  If TrueHD isn't in that chart then apps running on the TV itself don't have access to a TrueHD decoder.

Robnaeyaert
3 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Remember there are two types of Atmos.  TrueHD Atmos which is uncompressed and Dolby Digital Plus Atmos which is compressed.  All Samsungs support DD+ Atmos, but not TrueHD Atmos.

Your Soundbar may support TrueHD Atmos, but that's because you can hook a UHD player or some other device to the HDMI input of the soundbar and watch movies that way.  That's what I do with my Shield.  But then the app is running on my Shield and not the TV (it's only passed the video).  If TrueHD isn't in that chart then apps running on the TV itself don't have access to a TrueHD decoder.

Ok thanks again everyone. 
So did my log file show up anything unusual?

also does it make a huge difference on the TV settings if I set to PCM or Pass-thru?  
just want to make sure my settings are all optimum. 
thanks again 

SamES

I didn’t check your logs, but generally pass thru is what you want

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Robnaeyaert
On 7/10/2023 at 5:34 AM, Luke said:

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

Yea I think so. I’m still a little confused as I just want to squeeze the best audio out of my new Atmos soundbar. 

FrostByte
10 minutes ago, Robnaeyaert said:

Yea I think so. I’m still a little confused as I just want to squeeze the best audio out of my new Atmos soundbar. 

Using the Tizen app you can't.  Have you looked at the chart in your user's manual which specifies the codecs your TV supports?  Those are the only codecs you can use when running an app from your TV.  All HD audio except PCM 2.0 will get transcoded into something like AC3 which your TV supports.  

Your soundbar supports TrueHD because it's designed for use with a UHD player, not for apps running on your TV.  Streaming apps don't use TrueHD or DTS-HD so there is no need for Samsung to add the required decoder on their TVs to support those.

Short answer.  Your soundbar supports TrueHD and your TV doesn't.  Buy something with a TrueHD or DTS-HD decoder such as a Shield, Cube, Roku, etc and plug it into your soundbar if you want to squeeze the best audio out of your new Atmos soundbar.

• Like 1