Emby not Playing On Families RokuTV Again

Methodman104

Methodman104
10 hours ago, ebr said:

On your server end, it looks like you've got an incompatible version of the VirtualTV plug-in installed - or at least one with some issues as it is throwing errors that look like the wrong server version for it.

On the app end, it was the extremely slow connection that was causing the issue at that time I'm sure.  it is possible the two are related but can't be sure.

Thanks, as of right now I just uninstalled that plug-in. I'll talk to my family later and find out if they can run emby now.

• Thanks 1

Methodman104

Okay here is an update, it is still not working on two different family members rokuTV still. If you want a log file from my end I can provide one in a direct message. I think at times they also got a "connection error" when trying to play directly on-demand content, and for livetv it attempts to connect and circles and either crashes back to roku home screen or freezes up.

My other family member on their rokuTV at a different house says it no longer lets them sign in, it's not even connecting. (so no log file for them since they can't even connect).

Edited by Methodman104

1 hour ago, Methodman104 said:

Okay here is an update, it is still not working on two different family members rokuTV still. If you want a log file from my end I can provide one in a direct message. I think at times they also got a "connection error" when trying to play directly on-demand content, and for livetv it attempts to connect and circles and either crashes back to roku home screen or freezes up.

My other family member on their rokuTV at a different house says it no longer lets them sign in, it's not even connecting. (so no log file for them since they can't even connect).

Hi, yes that would be helpful, thanks.

Regarding the ones that can't sign in, what exactly happens when they try?

Methodman104
17 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, yes that would be helpful, thanks.

Regarding the ones that can't sign in, what exactly happens when they try?

It shows the Server name, but asks the user to cancel or wake server or remove server. But I can ask if there are other errors it gives. I just sent you the 2 log files of failed attempts of a user that was trying to play content and then gave up.

On 7/9/2023 at 4:38 PM, Methodman104 said:

It shows the Server name, but asks the user to cancel or wake server or remove server. But I can ask if there are other errors it gives. I just sent you the 2 log files of failed attempts of a user that was trying to play content and then gave up.

Can you ask them to do a manual connection by entering the server address manually?

Methodman104
20 hours ago, Luke said:

Can you ask them to do a manual connection by entering the server address manually?

Do you mean the ip address? that was how they used to connect about a year ago when I was having the same issue, it was tiresome having to do a zoom session with them each time something happened to set it up again, now I just tell all my users to have an Emby Connect account. 

Plus every time I lost MY internet my IP address would change and they would have to start all over again, it was extremely tiresome!

Most of my viewers are not tech savvy, they don't really even know how to personalize the settings on emby from their tv. (such generic things as library order, color theme, etc).

This is what I know...they two users with RokuTVs in the same house have TCL brand tv's ...not sure if the manufacturer has anything to do with it...but every 6-12 months this seems to happen in the two years I have been using emby and sharing my library.

The last thing I will try suggesting is that they uninstall or reinstall emby, but I doubt that will fix anything because I feel like that was one of the methods I tried before last time this happened.

Emby works fine on their computers on their same home internet. So it seems to be the RokuTV and perhaps something in the Emby app and RokuTV, or cheaper priced TV's that run Roku as well built-in them. One TV they use is a TCL, the other is Magnavox, but I don't know if the brand matters since the other apps (pluto,tubi work for them).

Also wanted to add it sometimes loads an on-demand video but freezes after a second and buffers on and off continuously today. I'll send the recent log files for July 13, 2023 in a DM if you want them?

Edited by Methodman104

1 hour ago, Methodman104 said:

Do you mean the ip address? that was how they used to connect about a year ago when I was having the same issue, it was tiresome having to do a zoom session with them each time something happened to set it up again, now I just tell all my users to have an Emby Connect account. 

Plus every time I lost MY internet my IP address would change and they would have to start all over again, it was extremely tiresome!

Most of my viewers are not tech savvy, they don't really even know how to personalize the settings on emby from their tv. (such generic things as library order, color theme, etc).

This is what I know...they two users with RokuTVs in the same house have TCL brand tv's ...not sure if the manufacturer has anything to do with it...but every 6-12 months this seems to happen in the two years I have been using emby and sharing my library.

The last thing I will try suggesting is that they uninstall or reinstall emby, but I doubt that will fix anything because I feel like that was one of the methods I tried before last time this happened.

Emby works fine on their computers on their same home internet. So it seems to be the RokuTV and perhaps something in the Emby app and RokuTV, or cheaper priced TV's that run Roku as well built-in them. One TV they use is a TCL, the other is Magnavox, but I don't know if the brand matters since the other apps (pluto,tubi work for them).

Also wanted to add it sometimes loads an on-demand video but freezes after a second and buffers on and off continuously today. I'll send the recent log files for July 13, 2023 in a DM if you want them?

Ok, maybe they removed the server from their account. Try blanking out their email address, saving and then adding it back to restore that.

Methodman104

Seems to be working now. My family upgraded their internet modem. Hopefully that will fix things now. Thank for all the assistance and help, it is greatly appreciated!

• Thanks 1